Fujifilm pearl prints.. anyone tried?

Name
Louise Knight
Edit My Images
No
Hello!
All my printing so far has been via Loxley but I'm ready to print another batch of images and thought I'd give DSCL a go. I've just seen their offer on fuji pearl prints and wondered if anyone can shed any light on the effect using this paper.. good/bad? I will be printing quirky landscape and curiosity images, thanks!
http://dscolourlabsupload.livelinkprint.com/about/Pearl-Prints

they are shiny as said

would look stunning in albums but not so good framed IMHO

saying that, I will frame one later and see how it compares to Lustre

I had some done for a friend at work last week and they were brilliant, friends is over the moon with finish (they were baby pictures straight into an album)

depends on the use you have for them to be honest

they are shiny as said

would look stunning in albums but not so good framed IMHO

saying that, I will frame one later and see how it compares to Lustre

I had some done for a friend at work last week and they were brilliant, friends is over the moon with finish (they were baby pictures straight into an album)

depends on the use you have for them to be honest

I am planning on offering them for sale - print only, so the customer has a choice of how to frame. Might get a selection of both pearl and lustre so people can choose :) thank you for the info!

I will be interested to know what you think to the framing :)

I am sure that if you appraoched one of the labs they would send you a sample of the paper over.

If they have any sense they should, if they want your business.

Just got some back this morning on this finish and they are impressive. The monochrome looks metallic. Very shiny as well.

Just got some back this morning on this finish and they are impressive. The monochrome looks metallic. Very shiny as well.

So would you say that the metallic look on mono works? Or not so much? I've just edited some beautiful black & whites and was wondering how they'd work out on it. Will give it a go :)

B&W look gorgeous on pearl prints, I've got a nice selection at home, they really do "pop"!

I wouldn't be selling them if people are mounting in frames, because the reflections will be a nightmare (unless people have got that anti-glare type glass, which is unlikely in most cases, as they'll buy cheap frames!)

So would you say that the metallic look on mono works? Or not so much? I've just edited some beautiful black & whites and was wondering how they'd work out on it. Will give it a go :)

Ideal medium for monochromes IMO - really does make them pop. As stated you would have to be carefull where you place them due to the reflections. Book would be ideal but if framed then the anti-glare glass would be needed I think. The quality of Dscolour labs is very very good - would like to do a side by side comparrison to Loxley as I find it hard to believe they can be noticeably better.

B&W look gorgeous on pearl prints, I've got a nice selection at home, they really do "pop"!

I wouldn't be selling them if people are mounting in frames, because the reflections will be a nightmare (unless people have got that anti-glare type glass, which is unlikely in most cases, as they'll buy cheap frames!)

Ooh lovely, I'll get some black and white done then :) Surely if I'm selling just the prints, then it is the customers responsibility for frames? Perhaps I could put a disclaimer along with the pearl prints? What would it say?

Ideal medium for monochromes IMO - really does make them pop. As stated you would have to be carefull where you place them due to the reflections. Book would be ideal but if framed then the anti-glare glass would be needed I think. The quality of Dscolour labs is very very good - would like to do a side by side comparrison to Loxley as I find it hard to believe they can be noticeably better.

To display them for sale I was going to put them in hard-backed cellophane sleeves?

When I put my order in I'll get a couple of the same prints I've got from loxley to compare, I cannot believe the price difference! :eek:

Ooh lovely, I'll get some black and white done then :) Surely if I'm selling just the prints, then it is the customers responsibility for frames? Perhaps I could put a disclaimer along with the pearl prints? What would it say?

I'd offer the customer a choice, with something along the lines of:

If you're thinking of framing these prints, I'd recommend buying a Lustre finish, as it's less reflective than the gloss/pearl options and will look better behind the glass of the frame.

I'd also offer all the options at the same price as well, so if they go for Lustre (and why wouldn't they, if you were recommending them ;)), you'll make a few quid extra - Won't make you rich, but every little helps :p

Last edited:
I had one printed as a sample (a mono from DSCL). It is impressive, but I don't think I'll be using it again for a framed print.

Going to have a word with my framer next time to see what type of glass they are using as the refelections were a bit frustrating.

I'd offer the customer a choice, with something along the lines of:

If you're thinking of framing these prints, I'd recommend buying a Lustre finish, as it's less reflective than the gloss/pearl options and will look better behind the glass of the frame.

I'd also offer all the options at the same price as well, so if they go for Lustre (and why wouldn't they, if you were recommending them ;)), you'll make a few quid extra - Won't make you rich, but every little helps :p

This is all great advice, thanks a lot! I still need to work out pricing too :/ hummm!

I had one printed as a sample (a mono from DSCL). It is impressive, but I don't think I'll be using it again for a framed print.

Going to have a word with my framer next time to see what type of glass they are using as the refelections were a bit frustrating.

thanks for the reply :) Let us know what the framer says! I think I'll get a selection so people can make up their own minds.

I am having the monochrome framed using some expensive UV glass that happened to be left over at the framers after he framed a batch for an exhibition - supposed to be better than the standard anti-glare stuff so I'll find out next week....................

Just to bring this topic back up

Has anyone else noticed the change in these? prices has increased by 300% since I last ordered them

I ordered some to be used in a portfolio when I get chance to put one together, was shocked at the increase until they arrived, still worth every penny

Back