Fujifilm X-H1

People at Goodwood....

Rev-8 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Rev-11 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

SOOC jpg (minor crop due to unwanted heads either side) No processing whatsoever........Fuji Colours !!!!

Rev-12 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Lovely set of candid street style Fujigraphs Sir, with some really good expressions.(y)

"Must admit I'm really impressed with your jpg presentations, the colours are amazing. For my personal snaps I never shoot anything but RAW but after seeing these I really must start trying the jpg settings out."

George.

Lovely set of candid street style Fujigraphs Sir, with some really good expressions.(y)

"Must admit I'm really impressed with your jpg presentations, the colours are amazing. For my personal snaps I never shoot anything but RAW but after seeing these I really must start trying the jpg settings out."

George.
Thank you very much George for your kind words. I'm trying hard !!!

I can't take the credit for the wonderful engineers at Fujifilm who have produced these colours, i've spoken to staff from Japan a couple of times now and you can really tell how passionate they are about producing great cameras.

Thank you very much George for your kind words. I'm trying hard !!!

I can't take the credit for the wonderful engineers at Fujifilm who have produced these colours, i've spoken to staff from Japan a couple of times now and you can really tell how passionate they are about producing great cameras.

As I said in my last post, I'm amazed at the output & quality of the Fuji jpg images. The only time I shoot jpgs is along side RAW at whatever motor sport event we are covering but I never really get the chance to see them as they are sent immediately back to our premises for instant perusal by clients. Any work ordered from them outside our commissioned work is produced via the RAW files.

I'm in Singapore this weekend (more b****y long haul flights) :( which is an evening event local time so it should be a good test for the X-H1 units and the jpgs under more arduous conditions.(y)

George.

As I said in my last post, I'm amazed at the output & quality of the Fuji jpg images. The only time I shoot jpgs is along side RAW at whatever motor sport event we are covering but I never really get the chance to see them as they are sent immediately back to our premises for instant perusal by clients. Any work ordered from them outside our commissioned work is produced via the RAW files.

I'm in Singapore this weekend (more b****y long haul flights) :( which is an evening event local time so it should be a good test for the X-H1 units and the jpgs under more arduous conditions.(y)

George.
Have a good trip George, (despite the lack of grid girls :D)

I know of one top motorsport photographer that uses jpg for start line shots as the buffer in the XH-1 doesn't clear quick enough (as the IBIS steals some of the processing power apparently), i'm sure you know who I mean.

Hmm well I'm in Italy.at present, to see how this h1 with new main board performs, in the somewhat warm med (30's), and it's still not right. The same things are happening as before, the green indicator light on the back still blinks on and off for mins at a time, blank screen. No other alternative but to switch it off and back on again. This is not good. Sending it back after I get back at the weekend. Not a happy bunny.
From what I can tell though, it seems to be more temp related, as by the evening time, it seems to settle down.

OK, especially for @Mr Perceptive, 1/8th second. And no, I didn't have an ND with me - or a tripod.

Water by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

That's a very nice Fujigraph Sir, with for me just about the right amount of movement in the water. If its any consolation I can't stand water shots when the water just looks like milk or mist.(y)

George.

That's a very nice Fujigraph Sir, with for me just about the right amount of movement in the water. If its any consolation I can't stand water shots when the water just looks like milk or mist.(y)

George.
Thank you George. This is just a tad too smooth for me. Waterfalls move, so why stop it? Or rather, why not stop it? If you know what I mean ... :D

Last edited:
Bloody hell. !!!

I’ve updated the firmware, now the flipping WiFi doesn’t work.

Grrrrrr

It may have to go back....

Bloody hell. !!!

I’ve updated the firmware, now the flipping WiFi doesn’t work.

Grrrrrr

It may have to go back....
I wouldn't be too hasty, it will be 99% likely to be a software issue.

I recently set up a second iphone and used the back up from my other phone and the wifi would say it was connected but not work. I uninstalled the Fuji app, reinstalled and all was well.

I recently set up a second iphone and used the back up from my other phone and the wifi would say it was connected but not work. I uninstalled the Fuji app, reinstalled and all was well.

Thanks Pete. I’ll give it a go.

Downloaded Cascable. Works a treat.

Regards the X-H1, does this use the standard batteries (W126) as like the rest of the Fuji X range? I'm looking closely at a X-H1, some decent 0% deals out there.

Peter

Regards the X-H1, does this use the standard batteries (W126) as like the rest of the Fuji X range? I'm looking closely at a X-H1, some decent 0% deals out there.

Peter

It actually uses the W126S batteries which are of a slightly, higher capacity. Using a W126 triggers a message in the viewfinder, which rapidly disappears, about shorter life, but in practice it seems to me that for photography it doesn't seem to make that much difference, video may be a different matter but I don't use it.

I've only had my X-H1 a short time but I've already decided that for quality of build and ease of use it is better than my D700 which I kept from 2008 to 2015 and only gave it up because of trouble with my wrists. At present I can see myself keeping my X-H1 for a similar length of time. My advice would be to take advantage of the offer.

Last edited:

Peter
As Christopher says, it flags up a warning if you use other than S batteries, but it doesn't stop you using them. Probably only really applicable for video.

I find it handles better than the X-T2, and doesn't show its heavier posted weight or size. Definitely a step up ergonomically, plus IS-ally. I've fitted a generic ARCA plate, which adds a bit of extra depth and stops my pinkie feeling unwanted.

@macvisual Peter. I’m really happy with my H1, IBIS for me is no big deal. I like the form factor. Particularly the dedicated AF-ON button.

Have to say if the T3 had AF-ON it would be on my watch list if I were looking to buy now.

@macvisual see if you can go have a look at one. The build quality of the xh1 was really noticeable to me. Solid.
I may call into Calumet Glasgow and see if they have a X-H1 to handle etc... Is the built-in IBIS really that good? Have there been any X-T1 owners have moved up to the XH1 and what's your views on the move please?I don't believe the all new XT3 would suit me personally.

There's a chap I'm closely watching over on the Fuji-X forum (Ron) and his photographic caputures are simply fantastic using a relatively simple Fuji setup with;
XH1 - XF18-55 - XF80mm - XF100-400. I've never seen better photography, I appreciate it's the person behind the camera that has the skills etc...

:)

I may call into Calumet Glasgow and see if they have a X-H1 to handle etc... Is the built-in IBIS really that good? Have there been any X-T1 owners have moved up to the XH1 and what's your views on the move please?I don't believe the all new XT3 would suit me personally.

There's a chap I'm closely watching over on the Fuji-X forum (Ron) and his photographic caputures are simply fantastic using a relatively simple Fuji setup with;
XH1 - XF18-55 - XF80mm - XF100-400. I've never seen better photography, I appreciate it's the person behind the camera that has the skills etc...

:)
I went XT-1 >XT-2>XH-1 it's just a joy to use, ergonomics are second to none and i'm getting better results.

Off to Turkey tomorrow for a couple of weeks, thinking about shooting jpeg only to push myself and the camera, can be too easy to rely on raw. What do you guys think ?

Off to Turkey tomorrow for a couple of weeks, thinking about shooting jpeg only to push myself and the camera, can be too easy to rely on raw. What do you guys think ?

What will you be shooting? If shooting sunsets etc I’d keep it RAW personally.

What will you be shooting? If shooting sunsets etc I’d keep it RAW personally.
Just the usual holiday stuff, sunsets yes plus landscapes (which I’ve not done a lot of to date), architecture, street and people. You can bracket 3 film simulations too rather than processing in camera. I’ve been looking back through my Goodwood Revival shots and the jpeg’s are rather special.
You can set up custom highlight and shadow tone.

Last edited:
Just the usual holiday stuff, sunsets yes plus landscapes (which I’ve not done a lot of to date), architecture, street and people. You can bracket 3 film simulations too rather than processing in camera. I’ve been looking back through my Goodwood Revival shots and the jpeg’s are rather special.
You can set up custom highlight and shadow tone.

Personally for landscape I’d shoot raw. Perhaps shoot raw + JPEG

We’re being visited by Daughter and newest Granddaughter.
Super quiet shutter is a bonus, she’s still sleeping.

The first shot makes me tired to just look at it. I would hate to be a postie there.
But an excellent shot.

Back this morning (totally exhausted) from the Singapore F1 and we all used the new X-H1 units alongside our X-T2s without any of them missing a beat. It was a chance to use them under more challenging conditions than is normal as being a street circuit photography vantage points are very limited, plus the added challenge that the race is under floodlights so ISO settings etc needed to be higher than we like to use.

All I can say is in my opinion these X-H1s are the best APS-C units that Fuji have pushed out so far. I was shooting in the pit lane & paddock areas and around the garages of the two teams that we are contracted to, and for shots with little action in them I was able to shoot at unbelievably low shutter speeds which can only be attributed to the "Excellent" IBIS in these cameras. The other staff toggers that were with me on the trip shooting from various vantage points also sang praises of the IBIS in these cameras and how much easier it was to hold a frame steady of the cars moving at extremely high speeds. The focus & tracking using boost mode seems to be even better than our X-T2s which we've never been disappointed with.

So all in all a very successful trip together with two of the cars from the teams that we work for in the first ten places means our picture sales etc to the media will be very good.:):)

George.

I rang my local Wex/Calumet/Glasgow branch today and asked about the H1, salesman told me there's an open Fuji event on in their branch on Friday 28th September between 10-4. I'll unfortunately not be able to attend as we'll be away on our honeymoon to Filey, near Scarborough then.

:(

Back