Review Fujifilm X-Pro2 VS Nikon D7100 (Mirrorless vs DSLR) ??

Ale

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everybody,
I'm using a Nikon D7100 for 2 years now and I'm very happy of it. The only one problem for me is the size of the body. I'm moving a lot and the size of all the equipment became a huge problem for me.
So I'm thinking about to change my DSLR for a mirrorless ..

What do you think ?

Thank you for your help :)
Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 13.30.56.png

What do you take photos of? The Xpro2 isnt very small, there are much smaller CSCs.

What do you take photos of? The Xpro2 isnt very small, there are much smaller CSCs.

My main photos are Street photography and Portrait,
It seams that The X-pro 2 have very good points like DSLR

My main photos are Street photography and Portrait,
It seams that The X-pro 2 have very good points like DSLR

If you want a hybrid viewfinder the X-pro is pretty much the only camera to go for, if your okay with an EVF only you could look at the XT1 / XE2 and save a fortune.

If you want a hybrid viewfinder the X-pro is pretty much the only camera to go for, if your okay with an EVF only you could look at the XT1 / XE2 and save a fortune.
Yes you are right, the only problem is the price. About 2000 € for the body + 35mm 1.4 ...

I agree with Twist. The X-Pro2's main feature is the ability to use both optical and electronic viewfinders. It also has better AF, more resolution and general all-round performance than the existing X cameras but if you prefer the DSLR-style body I would either wait for the X-T2 to be announced next month or get a used X-T1. Both of these will be smaller in size than the X-Pro2 but will handle zooms and telephoto lenses better.

There are many smaller, cheaper mirrorless options than the X-Pro2. The original X-Pro can be picked up second hand very cheap - be warned though it is not like using an SLR. If you're interested in Fuji, then the XT-10 and XT-1 are both cheaper, smaller and more like an SLR in their handling and speed of operation.

Alex, have a looong think about this, I've personally been down this route in the past, I'd a D800, then bought a X-Pro1 (and X-E1) and a handful of quality X glass, then within the past eight months returned to a D810 and totally ditched the X system, personal choice of course....

The actual size isn't that small in real life, I don't believe the size difference between the two you mention are a major factor to be honest. I don't consider my D810 body to be cumbersome or heavy to be honest.

My tuppence worth input would be keep your D7100, as you say, "your very happy with it".

Regards;
Peter
Central Scotland

I made the switch from a D7100 to an x-T10 and couldn't be happier. The size is a difference enough for me to be happy with the saving the Fuji affords and sure, although the Nikon did do some things better I'm delighted I made the switch. Can you get hands on with a Fuji to take a closer, comparative look?

You could pick up a used/second hand X-E1 body for around £130 (lens extra) and have a play with that for a while before deciding what direction to take........if any.

I made the switch from a D7100 to an x-T10 and couldn't be happier. The size is a difference enough for me to be happy with the saving the Fuji affords and sure, although the Nikon did do some things better I'm delighted I made the switch. Can you get hands on with a Fuji to take a closer, comparative look?

I think you are both right, the best choice is to try and do the test by myself. I didn't find the test on internet to compare a hight quality mirrorless like the X-pro2 and a DSLR middle range.

Thanks all for you participation and your help.

I made the switch from a D7100 to an x-T10 and couldn't be happier

You mean that the size was worth if to change ? What about the quality difference in low light ? depth of field ?

Did you notice some points that you are missing with your mirrorless camera compare to your DSLR ?

I'm reading a complete review on the X-pro 2 and honestly it's appearing very competitive compere to a DSLR camera.
--> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro2

Let me know,
Alexis

Alex, try pop into a local camera dealer who stocks the Fuji X range and take your time and have a play with them in-shop and get the feel of them in your hands etc........and take things from there.
Or try renting one for a weekend etc...

Regards;
Pete

Last edited:
Alex, I was thinking along the same lines as you, so I bought myself an X Pro-1, and a couple of primes (18mm f2 & 35mm f1.4).
It's a great camera, and superb lenses, but it didn't give me what I wanted, as I was so used to using a DSLR system. As I shoot mostly people the Fuji just wasn't
as intuitive , or as quick as my Nikon gear.
I was going to sell the Fuji kit, but it was going for such silly low prices, I kept both systems and use the Fuji when travelling.
I only need a small bag for the body, my lenses, and it weighs next to nothing.
Before you make your decision, I would agree with the previous advice, try one, shoot it, and see if it does what you want it to do.
The image quality is not the problem, but other factors may help you decide.

If it helps, I've gone from a Canon 5DIII (24-70, 70-200, 100-400, 50, 100, 135) to a Fuji X-Pro 2 (23 / 35 / 56 / 90);
  • The X system is smaller, but not as much as you perhaps think. It is certainly lighter - I would say on average half as heavy for typical camera / lens combos, but I have gone from mainly zooms to primes only in the move too which is also a factor.
  • If you are used to using any other camera, you will be used to its menus, buttons and knobs. It will take you time to adapt to the controls of any new camera, more so from a different manufacturer (I tried a Nikon after many many years of Canon, and found it hard to get to grips with for example). The switch to Fuji was easier because it is more physical and tactile, but it still takes time.
  • The OVF is very different to the DSLR view; you must be comfortable with the offsets you get using a rangefinder style camera. Of course you can use the EVF and ERF instead (that's the point of the X-Pro range after all), but it is different so best try one.
  • All that said, the X lenses are excellent, sharp, great colours and significantly cheaper than their DSLR equivalents (Canon 85/1.2 £1500, Fuji 56/1.2 £650 for example).
  • The image quality from the X-Pro 2; and by that I means colours and sharpness are, in my opinion better than the 5DIII
  • AutoFocus - the bain of earlier generations of mirrorless is pretty good. The only area I would say it still lacks is in sports, but as I don't do that anymore, not an issue for me. For what I use it for, I'm getting a higher keeper rate on the X-Pro 2 than I did on the 5DIII in terms of focus, but it is lens dependant. The 56mm is not so fast to focus where as the 90mm is excellent for example.
  • Manual Focus - works brilliantly. I can use it! I personally never could on a DSLR.
For me personally, the size, weight and the tactile feel and feedback of the X-Pro 2 works well and I'll not be going back to a DSLR. For you that may not be the case, so as others have said, go pick one up, or better still rent on for a week and have a play.

If you are wanting to downsize, m43 may be a an option. I went from a d7100 to an Olympus em5 and couldn't be happier. The m43 lenses are tiny in comparison.

Here's a comparison of the Nikon Fuji and Olympus with standard 2.8 zooms, and also of the Olympus with my normal walk around lens the Panasonic 12-32.
http://camerasize.com/compact/#440.312,650.448,289.336,289.397,ha,t

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean that the size was worth if to change ? What about the quality difference in low light ? depth of field ?

Did you notice some points that you are missing with your mirrorless camera compare to your DSLR ?

Hi Alexis

Sorry I didn't get a notification for this.

Low light performance actually isn't bad and in my opinion on a par with my D7100 though admittedly I don't do a lot of it. High ISO performance on the Fuji is excellent imo and I'm far more comfortable in pushing the iso up a bit on the Fuji than I was with the Nikon.

DoF is comparable also for me. I had the 35mm f1.8g which really did produce a shallow DoF but found that the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 was shallow enough. Again, the Fuji is comparable with the right glass. Here's a shot of my 27mm taken with an adapted Helios 44m. Shallow enough for me and I'm sure the likes of a 35mm f1.4 would be even better :)

The speed of use was faster with the DSLR, but totally not worth the extra size, weight and importantly for me appearance of it (not in the aesthetics, but that the Fuji is far less conspicuous. It draws much less attention than a DSLR).

Hope this helps.

Ian

I sold my D600 24-70, 16-35, 70-200 and got the X pro2. Already had the X100T which made my mind up to go totally mirrorless. Presently only have 2 lenses, 23mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 which are both amazingly sharp and in my mind equal or better than the sigma art range. What do I miss about the Nikon? to be honest nothing at all apart from the weight on my shoulder and back. The IQ of the Fuji system is amazing and I get far more keepers than I did with the Nikon. All in all the Fuji system works far better for me than full frame ever did.

I made the change from the D7000 to a Fuji X-Pro 1 back in January. I initially just bought it to keep as a spare camera but I was so blown away by the image quality that I sold both of my D7k's and sold all my lenses and accessories. I did decide to purchase an X-T1 as the autofocusing on the X-Pro 1 wasn't up to much, the X-T1 however is much better.

I now have 2 Fuji x bodies and 5 prime lenses, this system has totally transformed my style and relit my passion for photography on a level that no Nikon would ever do. Don't get me wrong, I loved my D7k's to bits and the image quality was great, but these Fuji's are just something else.

Comparing the X-Pro 1 to the D7100 you will find many differences as its a totally different style of camera, the X-T1 is much closer in control layout and camera style. In all honesty, as much as I love the X-Pro 1, I am thinking of selling it in exchange for another X-T1, maybe not for a while though.

Thanks all for your answers and advices.
It's appear that this camera is very good, and also competitive compere to a DSLR, (like the D7100 from Nikon)

If it helps, I've gone from a Canon 5DIII (24-70, 70-200, 100-400, 50, 100, 135) to a Fuji X-Pro 2 (23 / 35 / 56 / 90);
(...)
For me personally, the size, weight and the tactile feel and feedback of the X-Pro 2 works well and I'll not be going back to a DSLR. For you that may not be the case, so as others have said, go pick one up, or better still rent on for a week and have a play.

Thanks for the detail of your experience. I really think to be in the same situation as you were.

The speed of use was faster with the DSLR, but totally not worth the extra size, weight and importantly for me appearance of it (not in the aesthetics, but that the Fuji is far less conspicuous. It draws much less attention than a DSLR).

I think that's the point, the autofocus is not as good as a DSLR type middle range, but good after all, Specially in my case, I don't do sport photography.

After all the reading, it's appear
  • very flexible
  • good Dof
  • lens quality
  • RAW photos
  • advanced hybrid multi viewfinder for a mirrorless
  • good iso management
  • good shutter speed

Not so good for
  • autofocus
  • battery life (3 time less powerful)
  • Sports shooters
  • videographers

I mainly take street photography and portrait. So it's appear to well fit my usage. So I will certainly try it soon :)

After all the reading, it's appear
  • very flexible
  • good Dof
  • lens quality
  • RAW photos
  • advanced hybrid multi viewfinder for a mirrorless
  • good iso management
  • good shutter speed

Not so good for
  • autofocus
  • battery life (3 time less powerful)
  • Sports shooters
  • videographers

I mainly take street photography and portrait. So it's appear to well fit my usage. So I will certainly try it soon :)

For portrait and street I doubt theres much better than the X-Pro 2, not my type of shooting but most of the blogs and reviews online for Fuji seem to be by street/portrait shooters who love it!
Video isn't great but its really aimed as a stills camera, not an all in one still/video machine. The autofocus is actually pretty good on the X-Pro 2, its not as good as say my D750 I have before (but not even most DSLR's are as good as that) but its fine for most things even in very low light, its also night and day better than the X-Pro 1 was, I also don't see it as any worse than my D600/D7000 from a few years back.

Don't pay too much attention to battery life complaints, spare batteries are around £12-£15 (3rd party - Ex-Pro are great) and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the battery actually lasts when I'm shooting.

The X-Pro range ( 1 & 2 ) are both excellent performers for street & portrait photography and of course Fuji has top notch prime lenses to match those uses as well. (23,35,56 & 90mm)
I wouldn't worry quite so much about AF speed for those type of subjects, accuracy is far more important than speed and its good to slow your shooting down a little and think more about what your shooting and how your shooting it.
The Fuji's real strong point is the iQ especially at high ISO's, i.e. ISO 3200, in fact I would go as far as to say there isn't an APSC camera that can out perform it in that respect, you really need to go FF to beat it.

On the other hand if you want an even more compact yet competent option then the Olympus Pen F is certainly worth a look.
Ok so your dropping down to a smaller micro 4/3 sensor, but the new 20mp sensor in the F performs really well, it's also is very customisable, in fact there are so many customisable functions and settings it can seem daunting at first but its easy to get to grips with helped of course by its four custom user modes on the main dial, meaning you can program in four completely personal sets of settings and recall them with ease.
If you like shooting B&W then its one of the best options on the market with several fully customisable B&W modes and much much more.
The AF is super fast and very accurate as well.
Its much more than just that but is a fantastic little street camera and in black so unobtrusive, of course the lenses are small and light weight as well and if bought as a kit with the 17mm F1.8 (34mm FF equivalent) all you have to do is put in a charged battery & card and your ready to go straight away.
The lenses are not just light, but also sharp with fast and accurate focusing & relatively cheap as well, add the 25mm f1.8 & 45mm f1.8 and thats both street & portrait covered.
Some have said this little gem is overrated and overpriced but there are features this camera has that the EM-1 & EM5ii haven't got.

Last edited:
Haven't read all the other posts but I have Fuji stuff (XE2 and x100t plus lenses), it's smaller and lighter but feel the d7100 is an excellent all rounder and very natural ergonomics. Its not my camera of choice for street, that is usually the Fuji, but it is very good in street situations except for size and looking a bit intimidating. It is fast and the image quality and AF excellent. I often use the d7100 over my Nikon FX as you can barely tell the difference in a lot of general photography situations. The Fuji system can be small, but when you get to the quality lenses, they get pretty big and front heavy. Nikon although bigger, counterbalance well. Just my thoughts

Back