Fujifilm XF10 built in flash

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I mostly use the Fuji XF10 in aperture priority and occasionally use the built in flash to remove shadows. The flash sync speed default is 1/30th at f/2.8. Sometimes when I want a faster shutter speed I will go into full manual, and choose a slightly faster shutter speed. But the problem is, the camera thinks the scene is underexposed and the LCD screen goes very dark and the histogram goes right over to the left.

I think the trouble is, the exposure comp button doubles as the shutter speed when in manual mode. Even when I try a much slower shutter speed, it thinks it is under exposing, while the same settings in aperture priority give a good exposure.

I just wonder why the flash works like that, when in manual mode. I have looked in the flash settings, and nothing obvious in there, Forced Flash, Slow Synchro, 2nd curtain sync, and Commander.

So in short, when I increase the shutter speed in manual, the exposure comp is increasing, and the camera thinks the scene is under exposed.

If I want a faster shutter speed with flash I now use shutter priority, but that gives variable apertures that I don't always want.

Figured it out myself, and if anyone is interested.

Go to Screen set up, then Preview EXP, In Manual Mode, then select OFF, if you want to use the flash in manual mode. Leaving it in ON, screen goes too dark.

Back