Full automation post processing setup

Name
Ali
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Very new to post processing and just wanted to put a wishlist together so that I can learn from all your experiences and implement them myself.

I own a 5d3 and a 24-70 2.8 lens, a 50 1.4 and want to buy a couple of more lenses.

I also own a Sony NEX 7 with a Tamron 18-200 and will shortly be getting adapters for this lens to use with legacy glass.

I have lightroom 5 installed and want to automate a few things right off the bat without any human intervention as soon as raw images are downloaded to the watch folders.

1. One watch folder for every lens / camera combination so that correct PP automation can be run.
2. Apply sharpening (unsharp mask, maybe once or twice)
3. apply lens correction
4. Apply CA correction
5. Apply AWB (I would trust LR to do this here)
6. Apply some sort of naming convention
7. Retain and enhance EXIF data with GPS coordinates if available (prompt to import GPS coordinates before running each batch job)
8. Apply watermark in a designated area every pic
9. Save as JPEG in full quality
10. Move the RAW files to a new folder within the export folder for that batch job

Ay other steps I should consider / missing?

I'd like to guage your thouhts and opinions about this and how I can do this really. Any suggestions or guidance are welcome.

I will of course pay special atten

As you say you are very new to PP, then I suggest you do some further reading on this complex subject. I have found Martin Evening's book on PS Lightroom to be excellent at explaining basic concepts and suggestions for workflow, metadata, etc.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by watch folders or PP automation. Your aspiration to automate things “without human intervention” sounds ambitious and for me, a bit risky.
Everybody develops their own workflow and numbering methods and you will no doubt do the same.
Without going into the detail, in general I import all images in three stages using the faster "Copy" control. First I copy into my "Import" file, decide which to reject, which are worth conversion to DNG, then send them to my "DNG" folder, in which I also apply my numbering system. After development work on them I export them to the "Keyword Metadata" folder, (in which I add this type of data), after which I can then export them to their permanent home folder as processed dng files.
This forms the basis for jpeg conversions, printing etc, or simple size reductions for the internet.
Many people may find my workflow method unsuitable for them, but for me it keeps discipline, avoids omissions and is secured by external backup systems. In the long run it saves time and helps avoids mistakes.
I suggest you first make sure your folder/file structures are suitable to meet your objectives. Decide upon your workflow system, then later when you are satisfied with your database structure etc, then you may think about setting presets and so forth for your Development module.
Good luck and hope that helps.

Yes it may seem like Jpeg processing, but I would trust LR to do the Jpeg processing more than the camera itself. LR on a competent powerful computer should do a lot better no?

A competent HUMAN who knows what he/she is trying to achieve would do the best job.

If you're going to make all of your processing decisions before shooting then shooting jpeg is the easiest way to "automate".

LR on a competent powerful computer should do a lot better no?
Why?

Camera companies spend man years of effort in understanding how to get the best out of RAW->JPEG. They have access to all the technical details of the sensor and how it reacts, so can tune the develop curve to that response. The chips they put in their cameras are designed to process JPEGs very quickly....

I find I am using PP more and more to get the "look" I want (for instance, I went to a car museum yesterday and found I like the look of the images of cars with clarity wound up far more than I do with other subjects). I also find that subtle changes in lighting require slightly different approaches to processing - even of the same scene. How you would intend to automate that without the human in the loop is anyones guess...

Yes it may seem like Jpeg processing, but I would trust LR to do the Jpeg processing more than the camera itself. LR on a competent powerful computer should do a lot better no?

The question is why do you want to automate it all?

If you just want to save time with processing lots of photos then it would be better to spend time getting one photo from each shoot how you want it by hand and then sync those setting across the rest.

If not you can set up custom jpeg settings on the camera and if you set up a custom white balance for each shoot it should get pretty good results. If you want to automate things you may as well do it in camera and save more time.

Hi all

Very new to post processing and just wanted to put a wishlist together so that I can learn from all your experiences and implement them myself.

I own a 5d3 and a 24-70 2.8 lens, a 50 1.4 and want to buy a couple of more lenses.

I also own a Sony NEX 7 with a Tamron 18-200 and will shortly be getting adapters for this lens to use with legacy glass.

I have lightroom 5 installed and want to automate a few things right off the bat without any human intervention as soon as raw images are downloaded to the watch folders.

1. One watch folder for every lens / camera combination so that correct PP automation can be run.
2. Apply sharpening (unsharp mask, maybe once or twice)
3. apply lens correction
4. Apply CA correction
5. Apply AWB (I would trust LR to do this here)
6. Apply some sort of naming convention
7. Retain and enhance EXIF data with GPS coordinates if available (prompt to import GPS coordinates before running each batch job)
8. Apply watermark in a designated area every pic
9. Save as JPEG in full quality
10. Move the RAW files to a new folder within the export folder for that batch job

Ay other steps I should consider / missing?

I'd like to guage your thouhts and opinions about this and how I can do this really. Any suggestions or guidance are welcome.

I will of course pay special atten

Scott Kelby does a very good book on lightroom......just a few quick thoughts..

1) I would worry less about camera lens combinations then lighting/subject combinations.

correcting one image in a batch and applying this to other similar photo's is a good comprise on quality vs time a lot of the time.

2) are you sure? do you really want to sharpen a portrait as much as say a rocky landscape or do you only shoot very limited types of shot? (see 1 above)

3) 4) 5) ok but I would still try 1 above

6) do this on import, or you can name on export
7) not sure what you mean here, lightroom should keep you exif intact?
8) Just do this on export?
9) why not keep in DNG, you can exprt to jpeg?
10) you can just keep as a catalog, again not sure what your after here

Hope some of that helps

No, I shoot aperture priority. PP is not my forte at this time and I am trying to learn it.

Scott Kelby does a very good book on lightroom......just a few quick thoughts..

1) I would worry less about camera lens combinations then lighting/subject combinations.

correcting one image in a batch and applying this to other similar photo's is a good comprise on quality vs time a lot of the time.

2) are you sure? do you really want to sharpen a portrait as much as say a rocky landscape or do you only shoot very limited types of shot? (see 1 above)

3) 4) 5) ok but I would still try 1 above

6) do this on import, or you can name on export
7) not sure what you mean here, lightroom should keep you exif intact?
8) Just do this on export?
9) why not keep in DNG, you can exprt to jpeg?
10) you can just keep as a catalog, again not sure what your after here

Hope some of that helps

Thanks so much for your reply, I will come back to you with answers when I get some time tonight.

Back