Full Colour Street Candids

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from this thread, the rest if my set. This time I have gone for full colour. Again, C & C welcome. All shot on the 85mm between f1.4 and f2...

1: Lip Gloss
3103246953_6f0f822f32_o.jpg

2: More Lip Gloss
3103246421_d211338006_o.jpg

3: Hat Man
3104076516_7a6e143af6_o.jpg

4: Umbrella
3103244857_8460b5b807_o.jpg

5: The Stare (Totally messed the compisition by cutting them so close to right of frame :bang:)
3104074694_0d21964674_o.jpg

Thanks for any crit, hints, tips and comments! :D

Part 1 available here

Gary.

Last edited:
I'll let someone else crit the images as I don't really feel qualified and they're just a bunch of people on the street as far as I'm concerned. But, is number #5 Britney? Oh, and I do find myself looking at the cigarette in #4 more than the brolly... perhaps some ex-smoker psychological thing? :shrug:

lip gloss, love the way she looking,great capture,
umbrella, like the capture of the lady hiding,and other two showing a look of cold wet weather
great(y)

Guessing you're loving the 85mm then Gary? I'm amazed at the results. It's dark, the subjects are moving about, and I'm guessing you're holding the camera - yet they still come out incredibly sharp!

Excellent set. Are you going to take this lens off your camera? I might turn #5 into a portrait and lose him. Like them all a lot.

I like the way in 4 (umbrella) you've managed to get all three subjects (and the pillar) into the sweet focus spot. I know how narrow it is at 1.4 so that was good going!

Like the sharpness of the eyes in 2 and the girl in 5, both at f1.4 again too! Can I ask what autofocus settings you use on the D3?

I'll let someone else crit the images as I don't really feel qualified and they're just a bunch of people on the street as far as I'm concerned. But, is number #5 Britney? Oh, and I do find myself looking at the cigarette in #4 more than the brolly... perhaps some ex-smoker psychological thing? :shrug:

Cheers mate. Not sure I am doing the street stuff justice yet, but I guess its not everyones bag. Pete once said that in order for it to work, you need to capture an emotion or a special moment, rather than just snaps of random people with blank looks. Have tried to do it here, but it can be real subtle. If you want to see some inspiring street stuff, to see what I am trying to aim for I guess, see here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/motion-id/

He has amazing stuff.

One thing Pete also said, I should try and put the photos in context of the world around them, I definately failed that with the is latest sets as all I did was focus on the faces, and ignored the world around. Sometimes I like the tight portraits, but by solely going for them, you eliminate part of the story I guess.

lip gloss, love the way she looking,great capture,
umbrella, like the capture of the lady hiding,and other two showing a look of cold wet weather
great(y)

Thanks mate. Lip Gloss is my favourite, glad she caught me :D

#1 looks like she is being mugged :eek:

:LOL: I think that is her other half :D

Guessing you're loving the 85mm then Gary? I'm amazed at the results. It's dark, the subjects are moving about, and I'm guessing you're holding the camera - yet they still come out incredibly sharp!

Loving does not come close. All of these are hand held, the Auto ISO on the D3 is a god send with these shots.

Excellent set. Are you going to take this lens off your camera? I might turn #5 into a portrait and lose him. Like them all a lot.

5 is a real pain, becuase I try and be quick, I make sure my focus point is on the thirds, either left or right, but once I choose, I am not yet quick enough to change. Sadly for whatever stupid reason, I misjudged my aim with this shot! I suspect I used the single autofocus point on the right, and in order to get them in focus, I recomposed with them on the right of the frame, instead of moving the focus point to the left. :bang:

I like the way in 4 (umbrella) you've managed to get all three subjects (and the pillar) into the sweet focus spot. I know how narrow it is at 1.4 so that was good going!

Like the sharpness of the eyes in 2 and the girl in 5, both at f1.4 again too! Can I ask what autofocus settings you use on the D3?

Hi Mate,

For the first time ever, I focus with AF-ON. I set the shutter to fire on RELEASE, as opposed to Focus & Release. I turned it down from 51 to 11 points to make it easier to navigate, and I chose single point at either top left or top right of the frame.

Cheers guys :)

Gary.

Last edited:
I really like both sets, good job you dont live near Liverpool because you will be giving Pte a run for his money soon ;)

Haha, I think not. He isnpired me with more than just his photos, which are outstanding.

The way I see it. I keep listening, I keep practising, and I keep asking when stuck, I will surely get better.

I am loving trying - it is bloody great fun.

Gary.

kewl series, liked the b&w set too!!! okay i seriously want this lens now, but alas not a nikon-ian! am gonna presume the 85mm f/1.2 is the canon equivalent :D??

Haha, I think not. He isnpired me with more than just his photos, which are outstanding.

The way I see it. I keep listening, I keep practising, and I keep asking when stuck, I will surely get better.

I am loving trying - it is bloody great fun.

Gary.

I was only messing, on a serious note though you can really tell from these two sets that your confidence for street photography is growing. Keep it up.

Hey Gary these are great but can I ask do you ask before shooting or take the moment then check if that are happy that you have done that or do you just not bother asking at all? Not ever done hardly any street images I was just curious.

Hey Gary these are great but can I ask do you ask before shooting or take the moment then check if that are happy that you have done that or do you just not bother asking at all? Not ever done hardly any street images I was just curious.

Never ever ask, otherwise you will get posed shots. Its a horrible game really, as you instantly feel like you are sneaking around doing something wrong. It ups the game as soon as you enter your shooting area. It sucks. You are there, with hundreds of people around you, and you are taking photos of them without their permission. It feels wrong, but the photos IMO can be flawless.

Gary.

Last edited:
kewl series, liked the b&w set too!!! okay i seriously want this lens now, but alas not a nikon-ian! am gonna presume the 85mm f/1.2 is the canon equivalent :D??

The canon lens is flawless. I have heard it is flawless in every way, would have loved it, but common sense kicked in. Perhaps it would have been better if it had not :D

Gary.

I was only messing, on a serious note though you can really tell from these two sets that your confidence for street photography is growing. Keep it up.

Cheers mate, I am chuffed you like :) Love your stuff too.

Gary.

Never ever ask, otherwise you will get posed shots. Its a horrible game really, as you instantly feel like you are sneaking around doing something wrong. It ups the game as soon as you enter your shooting area. It sucks. You are there, with hundreds of people around you, and you are taking photos of them without there permission. It feels wrong, but the photos IMO can be flawless.

Gary.

I thought it was the latter as the shots don't looked posed but have you thought about giving out a card after so the person can checkout your work and maybe purchase a copy ;) They are quality shots all said and done.

Why the odd crop in #4? The others are square and #4 doesn't seem to be any sort of standard aspect ratio. You've done well in avoiding visual narrative comments to date.

Never ever ask, otherwise you will get posed shots. Its a horrible game really, as you instantly feel like you are sneaking around doing something wrong. It ups the game as soon as you enter your shooting area. It sucks. You are there, with hundreds of people around you, and you are taking photos of them without their permission. It feels wrong, but the photos IMO can be flawless.

Gary.

I have done loads of this sort of photography over the years Gary, especially when I worked on newspapers. If it makes you feel any better remember they have been photographed by the authorities about 50 times already as they walked along the high street :):)

I never used to make eye contact. I would take my photograph and then look at something else, never had a problem.

stew

drats, i sold my 85mm 1.2 before I even used it in the street, lol, ahh well it was only the mk1 version... (list of 'needs' is being re-ordered now lol)

Hi Gary.
Getting your money's worth with the new toy.
I like 1 best & 5 next - guess it's just 'cause they're a bit closer.

I see you've shot at ISO 1000 & 2000 with speed fairly constant. Was there quite a bit of difference in light between shots ? Do you check where your shooting, fix settings and then stalk a number of victims or change for each setting shot?

Finally, at ISO 2000 how does the printed shot look ?
Cheers

Hi Gary.
Getting your money's worth with the new toy.
I like 1 best & 5 next - guess it's just 'cause they're a bit closer.

I see you've shot at ISO 1000 & 2000 with speed fairly constant. Was there quite a bit of difference in light between shots ? Do you check where your shooting, fix settings and then stalk a number of victims or change for each setting shot?

Finally, at ISO 2000 how does the printed shot look ?
Cheers

I never print an image unless its an exceptional shot. I only have two prints :D

I think these would print fine, no real issues. With regards to handing cards out, I have seen others do it. If I get good at street stuff, maybe something to think about. I had the D3 on Auto ISO, so I did not need to think about settings. Manual, F1.4 and auto ISO = concentrate on the shots :)

Glad you like mate.

Gary.

hmmm good point about the auto iso if you want best of the best quick moment stuff.

5D presently, but come january my 1ds-mk3 should be here :D! (long awaited!!)

ermmmm well yes and no, any posts I do put up are usually wed. imagery (Zzzzzz), my 'people port.' is long overdue a make-over, as when wedding season was on there was literally no time to do anything else (shame, as I much prefer art!) but cant complain :D.
and being apart from my muse (London!), inspiration runs dry out here in Hereford, but should be going out to do the usual xmas town shots soon, if it stops raining!

Yet another great set gary all good but number 4 takes the pickled onion in this set for me...

Nigel

Back