Full frame advice please

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm thinking a delving more toward the world of portraiture and I am wondering what kit to buy.

My current body is a Nikon D7200 and I have a variety of lens including the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 being my favoured choice as I shoot a lot of sports.

So what I am wanting to buy is something that will compliment the D7200 body and also a lens ideal for portraits.

I have been looking at the following combinations to keep the cost down to about £2K:
1) D810 body with Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens, or
2) D750 body with Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens.

Any thoughts please..

Thanks

Personally I'd probably go for the D750 option its probably (still) the best bang for buck full frame camera available, I'd also consider the 24-120 for that but if the faster f2.8 is important (for portraits) then go for that lens, you can't really go wrong.

Or if the move to full frame is a key feature as well as the new subject interest i would be tempted by a D810 and a 85mm 1.8 G.

Depending on what type of portraits you want to shoot there's probably little point buying a full frame, unless of course you were shooting in low light for some reason, or wanted the different DOF/angle of view for a given lens. If it's this, or purely GAS I would suggest the D750 as the controls are pretty much identical to the D7200, except you can assign the rec button to ISO (amongst other things) on the D750 which is useful (you can on the D810 too).

I have the 24-120mm and whilst it's a good general lens I wouldn't specifically buy it for portraits, the 24-70mm is a better option for this IMO. Of course, if I was buying a lens specifically for portraits I'd be buying the 85mm anyway ;)

Personally I'd probably go for the D750 option its probably (still) the best bang for buck full frame camera available, I'd also consider the 24-120 for that but if the faster f2.8 is important (for portraits) then go for that lens, you can't really go wrong.

Thanks Chris. I think that the f2.8 is important especially for environmental portraits to help with the backgrounds.

I don't see any need upgrade the camera. Just buy the lens and put it on your D7200... personally, I'd get the 24-70 to go with your 70-200.

Thanks Steven. Its not just an upgrade but also a second body. I did think about getting a second D7200 for a back up body for the sports and buying the 24-700 f2.8

...If it's this, or purely GAS I would suggest the D750 as the controls are pretty much identical to the D7200, except you can assign the rec button to ISO (amongst other things) on the D750 which is useful (you can on the D810 too).

Thanks for the tip! Funnily enough, the placement of the dedicated ISO button on the D750 is one of the things I LEAST like about it, as it's not intuitive and often requires me to look at the back of the camera.

I've assigned my record button accordingly (y)

I personally never understood the second body logic for enthusiasts; it just means you now have two cameras of similar age rapidly losing value and need to constantly adjust your learned shooting technique to accommodate different button layouts. Is next day delivery not soon enough?

I personally never understood the second body logic for enthusiasts; it just means you now have two cameras of similar age rapidly losing value and need to constantly adjust your learned shooting technique to accommodate different button layouts. Is next day delivery not soon enough?

Some of the sports I shoot I have been caught out by not having a second body at hand when required. ie podium shots etc. It can be a bit of a pain when having to change lenses back and forth, especially outside in all types of weather. I do understand fully though that there are some people who do have second bodies just because they can.

The button layout is very similar if nt identical on the D750 which is why I'm seriously considering it.

Last edited:
Some of the sports I shoot I have been caught out by not having a second body at hand when required. ie podium shots etc. It can be a bit of a pain when having to change lenses back and forth, especially outside in all types of weather. I do understand fully though that there are some people who do have second bodies just because they can.

The button layout is very similar if nt identical on the D750 which is why I'm seriously considering it.
Barring the info button placement I think it's the same from memory, menus are nigh on identical. The only difference I noticed was the lack of assignment of the rec button menu option, but then I didn't go through the menus side by side ;)

If I had the cash I'd definitely buy a second body, when shooting sports I keep swapping from wide angle to tele and it's a pita to keep swapping lenses, not to mention the missed shots.

I recently upgraded to Full frame and I went with the D750. I upgraded from an old Canon 60D and I have to say I'm completely blown away by the difference in quality. I'm absolutely in love with The D750 and think it's a fantastic bit of kit. I did lots of research on the pros and cons of the D750 versus the D800/810, and I ended up going with the D750 due to the smaller file size and it's low light/dynamic range abilities. Of course the fact that I picked up a brand-new body for £1000 played a large part as it allowed me to buy other lenses with my budget. I'd love a D8 10 for the extra megapixels and dropping options but I think that's mainly GAS and to be honest the D750 is easily good enough.

I use the 85 mm 1.8G, and have recently acquired the 24-120 mm F4. Both are fantastic on the D750. The move to full frame and the changes in DOF meant I found I was often missing the focus when shooting at wide apertures around f1.8-2 as my 15 month old was moving too quickly. Shooting at F4 gave me a much higher hit rate whilst also keeping her whole head in focus with the lovely bokeh behind. Therefore as much as I'd love the 24-70mm fit it's full frame sharpness I found I don't really need the extra stop, but I've gained extra reach as well as a lighter lens. Being a lot cheaper made the 24-120 and obvious choice for me. And I love it [emoji4]

Hope this helps

I would also recommend a d800 as a good shout. The best camera I've ever had and sadly missed. I'd think about an 85mm or 135mm prime if you want to shoot portraits as a main subject matter.

Full frame gives less DOF than dx anyway! So wouldn't need 1.8! I'd stick with dx and the 7200 personally

Thanks for all your comments guys. Definitely taking all your thoughts on board while I think about the way to go.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already but if you do go full frame, have you not considered keeping the 70-200 for portraits? Seems made for the job.

Back