Full frame compact

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there such a thing,?
most i have looked at are apsc or large sensor..........I am seriously thinking of downsizing so was thinking full frame with a viewfinder as a must

Is there such a thing,?
most i have looked at are apsc or large sensor..........I am seriously thinking of downsizing so was thinking full frame with a viewfinder as a must

The most significant is probably the Leica Q these days; there's also the Sony one (RX1 I think) but not sure if that's still current.
I'm not sure if there are others; the full-frame focus seems to be interchangeable lenses mainly

Reactions: RKC
You'd probably also include the Sigma FP as it's smaller than the Leica Q even though it's an interchangeable lens camera.

Expensive fixed lens cameras do worry me as although sensor contamination is less likely than with a changeable lens camera if it does happen it'll more than likely have to go away to be stripped down and cleaned. I'd stick to smallish changeable lens cameras like the A7c or the MK1 Sony A7's. My A7 with 35mm f2.8 is quite compact.

Thank you all will go have a look at the suggestions

Sigma fp L , 60 Megapixies, add-on evf.

Edit not Sigma for but fp of course.

Last edited:
Is there such a thing,?
Thank you all will go have a look at the suggestions

I'd seriously consider buying a secondhand Fuji X100 series camera - maybe an X100F and running it in parallel to your existing kit for a time - to see if a fixed lens compact is for you - if you buy wisely, you won't loose much money over the next few months if you decide to sell, and you won't be exposing yourself to the hit associated with selling on a relatively new expensive camera.

Granted its not full frame, but it will definitely give you a flavour

(Alternatively buy the EF-S 24mm pancake and stick it on your existing body, and use just that foir a while)

I wouldn't really consider the likes of Leica Q series or Zeiss ZX1 compact. They are as big as any other mirrorless ILC.

The only real FF compact is Sony's RX1 series.
It's smaller than sigma FP with 35 f2 lens or even A7C with 35mm f2 lens.

If you are willing to consider APS-C there's a few more options, though I'd suggest Fuji X100v (the lens in earlier version isn't great) or one of the Ricoh GRiii (there is two versions now with different focal lengths)

Last edited:
I wouldn't really consider the likes of Leica Q series or Zeiss ZX1 compact. They are as big as any other mirrorless ILC.

The only real FF compact is Sony's RX1 series.
It's smaller than sigma FP with 35 f2 lens or even A7C with 35mm f2 lens.

If you are willing to consider APS-C there's a few more options, though I'd suggest Fuji X100v (the lens in earlier version isn't great) or one of the Ricoh GRiii (there is two versions now with different focal lengths)

Yes the lens in the X100V is better but the earlier lens is only 'bad' wide open with very close subjects - Does Ricoh have a viewfinder one of the OP requirements???

The Leica Q's saving grace (for its size) is 'that' lens, it is very sharp and lovely when shot wide open. Its other saving grace is resale value, you won't loose much money, and a Q bought when first released is now only worth about £400 less than the original purchase price, £100 a year for a camera sounds like a bargain.

Yes the lens in the X100V is better but the earlier lens is only 'bad' wide open with very close subjects - Does Ricoh have a viewfinder one of the OP requirements???

The Leica Q's saving grace (for its size) is 'that' lens, it is very sharp and lovely when shot wide open. Its other saving grace is resale value, you won't loose much money, and a Q bought when first released is now only worth about £400 less than the original purchase price, £100 a year for a camera sounds like a bargain.
Why would anyone buy a camera with a fast lens if you can't shoot wide open. Personally I don't buy f1.4-2 lenses to shoot them at f8.

Ricoh doesn't have a built-in viewfinder but you can get a hotshoe OVF for it.

Most lieca are exceptional at holding value. While the lens is exceptional too (especially if you want 28mm) you can get equally good lenses with ILCs and not sacrifice on weight or the benefits of having an ILC.
p.s. nothing against lieca Q/2 (if I had the money I'd get the monochrome myself), I just don't feel it's a "compact camera" which is what OP asked for.

Last edited:
I had a Sony A7R3 and they are quite compact coming from a DSLR in my opinion.

A true Compact camera size and weight saving over one of those or similar is not worth it unless someone has bad hands / wrists or whatever.

One thing that stops me from using my smaller cameras as much is that they're not so small that they'll fit comfortably in a pocket and need to be in a bag and if I'm taking a bag I might as well take my Sony A7 with my Sony 35mm f2.8 or Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

If you're happy with a small prime lens rather than a zoom, and zooms do tend to be larger, it is possible to have a smallish FF camera and lens combination which will be comfortable to carry in a small bag. Thought of like that I can't see something like a Fuji X100 or my ow MFT RF style cameras having any great advantage over a A7 with a small prime.

I have an A7SII, A9 and an RX1R mk1 but while the RX1R doesn't look much smaller on paper than the other two I do find the difference is big enough that I can take the RX1 places I can't take the bigger cameras. Mainly that's in a small backpack I take while cycling and in bag I take the drone out in where I can stick the RX1 in a side pocket so in both cases I can get great image quality from the big sensor and sharp lens without taking up much space.

I have toyed with the idea of an A7C since the RX1 is pretty archaic these days feature wise but the A7C is a bit bigger without any lens and when adding a comparable 35mm F1.8 lens then it gets too big, the lens on the RX1 is already a bit on the long side and the FE 35mm is longer than the RX1+lens. I agree with the point above the Leica Q isn't that compact so wouldn't be of interest to me even putting aside the price. It's a shame Sony abandoned the RX1 line as it is a really nice little camera to use but I can easily see why they did it given it's a fairly niche market and the one for the mirrorless cameras is far bigger.

Hi, I use my SONY A7 with the SONY/ZEISS FE 2,8/35 almost daily. It is a very compact, jacket-pocketable combination. And the lens is compact, even with hood mounted.

If it were to break down beyond repair I would buy the A7-2 which is less than 1000 €, and has IS.

(I find the A7c also attractive, but it is much more expensive, and has a mech. shutter speed of only 1/4000.)

I got to say a huge thank you for everyones input, i have a fair bit to ponder, pocketable all though nice is something which is not a deal breaker as never thought it was likely, zoom v prime zoom preferably, always having apsc just thought if I do go this route then ff would be good

I had a Leica Q and sold it in favour of a Fuji X100V.

The Q is stupendous. The Q2 even more so - you can effectively crop to 35 and 50mm, and 75 at a push, so you get several lenses in one (sort of). Image quality is fantastic and very ”Leica” at f/1.7.

I sold my Q as its not quite as portable as I wanted. The problem is that the lens sticks out quite a lot. The X100V is much slimmer by comparison. The new lens on the X100V doesn’t leave anything on the table either - it’s very good at f/2. It is also very satisfying to use, with nice dials and suchlike.

Additionally, the X100V has much more functionality (possibly too much) such as multiple exposures that are implemented very cleverly, and long exposures WITHOUT the extremely annoying noise reduction that you can’t turn off with the Leica. Add in a tilt-able screen and OVF/EVF makes it a very capable camera. I’m very happy with the change.

Its other saving grace is resale value, you won't loose much money, and a Q bought when first released is now only worth about £400 less than the original purchase price, £100 a year for a camera sounds like a bargain.
Not as good as the film cameras, though. An M6 bought a decade or so ago has probably gained about £100 a year.

Back