Full HD to DVD

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

So my little X10 can produce Full HD, good news. Shame I've got an 8 year old laptop to try and do some sort of workflow on....i'd appreciate options/opinions on my workflow and my target.

Prior to all of this I had a nice little camcorder with DV tapes, run them off and into Movie Maker, and burn to DVD. The burn to DVD bit is what i'm looking to do with the Full HD files. Nice and simple, not the best quality but it did. Full HD does now look superb though in comparison.

I have confusion :wacky: and conflicting reports on the best format to get the full HD into 'a' format that I can use.

Looking at the HD on the camera everything is great, putting the file onto the laptop and the resolution actually seems great, just the video is a few secs behind the audio, then it gradually turns into a slow mo video to watch:LOL:
Before I even do anything with these files, i'm looking for confirmation that this is simply down to an old laptop:thinking: and that it should still burn (and play on the TV) the DVD 'normally'. Dont care if i need to render something overnight, just more concerned it doesnt work after all that when I get it to the TV(y) If bit/frame rate are mainatin surely it doesnt makettr the laptop, will just take longer to process?:thinking:

So .mov files, got my freeware converter and can do .avi or mpg etc. Converts them fine and seems realiable.
I use Movie Maker because it's simple and I dont actually do that much editing (cut a few frames, some transitions some titles and that it). Mov files do seem a hassle though, but not much i can do it seems.

I'm thinking .mov file to avi (will this maintain high quality or close to the full HD?), then into MM for some simple editing and burn disk in Nero (i use it cos I always have even though I dont particularly like it:D)

A lot say mpeg2 is best, but I dont think this is actually a correct DVD format, or at least doesnt seem as flexible as .avi? More bothered about maintaining quality rather than saving time as I'll leave o/night if it comes to it on my ancient laptop.

What do you guys reckon?
Cheers.

should add, these are clips of a few minutes and will probably have about 20 mins or 1/2 hours worth at a time, appreciate Full HD does seem to produce big output.

Maybe not
..hit send too quick:D
I was assuming they would as it will convert to say .avi, and then it would just be the media size that would be the limitation. I could and am probably wrong with this though:LOL::shrug:
You have got me thinking, best google this first...

Again, a lot of contradiction (this whole subject is full of it on the web it seems).
Most seeem to say 'no' while others saying it will but not at full HD quality.
This is the problem, need to get my factos straight before i start to mess around with getting these files of my HDD and onto some TV ready media as each attempt will take me ages :)
I was perhaps being simple in assuming i could convert to .avi/mpeg and that would be that.

I'd suggest that rather than use avi or mpeg files look at MP4. I found that with other formats the file size become too large and a number of computers couldn't handle the transfer rate from a DVD for a full 1080p HD video. MP4 files are smaller, work with most modern drives and this is the format I now use.

OK, cheers John(y)....I'll try MP4 then, i'm quite confused about the whole thing tbh, lot of ways of doing things but standards seem all over the place. Video is almost like photography where everyone seems to have strong opinions on their methods:LOL:

I've got one example that I've been playing about with, couple of hundred megabyte file (a minute or so long) plays a bit like 'slo mo' with lagging sound on my laptop. Fair enough (for now), when I convert to .avi I end up with the same result (a big file almost the same size which might be correct more bothered about the ropey speed it plays at)....this makes me think i am wrong in my assumption - I thought originally the converted file would not be dependant on PC speed, as it would just be rendering into a file that it could handle easily rather than the full HD being slow which I would understand, but the .avi i did expect to play OK:(. ie. a 'simpler' format almost.
Want to get this right before I even think about burning disks. I'll try your MP4 idea though, thank you...will report back later, just worried the MP4 will also play the same slow rate as the .avi now...

Craig

I had exactly the same problem with .avi files. too big and had stop start problems with some drives.

Switched to MP4 and the problem went away. Rough guide ( and very rough) is 100Mb for about 1 min of play time on MP4

John C

OK, thanks John...I never got round to it last night, but will give that a whirl.
To be honest, i'm quite happy just doing my little clips of a few minutes on the X10, and firing them straight over to my extrenal HDD drive (almost a TB free space)...then dealing with them in a few years, it's not the end of the world, not ideal though (be nice to know that I can actually get them onto DVD)

I would rather keep on top of them every months though as it is an absolute nightmare doing these things after they build up, can say good goodbye to a few weekends. I just tidied 5 years worth of photos (few hundred Gb of 'snaps' it was painful especially as I realise how bad I used to be at photography:D)

By that time I will hopefully have a faster PC, and maybe some sort of standard/easy way of doing it will prevail by then :cool:

100Mb still seems like big enough for decent quality right enough.

Hi Guys,

So my little X10 can produce Full HD, good news. Shame I've got an 8 year old laptop to try and do some sort of workflow on....i'd appreciate options/opinions on my workflow and my target.

Prior to all of this I had a nice little camcorder with DV tapes, run them off and into Movie Maker, and burn to DVD. The burn to DVD bit is what i'm looking to do with the Full HD files. Nice and simple, not the best quality but it did. Full HD does now look superb though in comparison.

I have confusion :wacky: and conflicting reports on the best format to get the full HD into 'a' format that I can use.

Looking at the HD on the camera everything is great, putting the file onto the laptop and the resolution actually seems great, just the video is a few secs behind the audio, then it gradually turns into a slow mo video to watch:LOL:
Before I even do anything with these files, i'm looking for confirmation that this is simply down to an old laptop:thinking: and that it should still burn (and play on the TV) the DVD 'normally'. Dont care if i need to render something overnight, just more concerned it doesnt work after all that when I get it to the TV(y) If bit/frame rate are mainatin surely it doesnt makettr the laptop, will just take longer to process?:thinking:

So .mov files, got my freeware converter and can do .avi or mpg etc. Converts them fine and seems realiable.
I use Movie Maker because it's simple and I dont actually do that much editing (cut a few frames, some transitions some titles and that it). Mov files do seem a hassle though, but not much i can do it seems.

I'm thinking .mov file to avi (will this maintain high quality or close to the full HD?), then into MM for some simple editing and burn disk in Nero (i use it cos I always have even though I dont particularly like it:D)

A lot say mpeg2 is best, but I dont think this is actually a correct DVD format, or at least doesnt seem as flexible as .avi? More bothered about maintaining quality rather than saving time as I'll leave o/night if it comes to it on my ancient laptop.

What do you guys reckon?
Cheers.

You're getting confused between audio/video file formats (AVI, MPEG file, MOV file) and video codecs (MPEG2, MPEG4 part2, MPEG4 part10(H264)).

DVDs use a constrained format of MPEG2 video (i.e. not all settings are available for use) in a special directory structure. If you want to make a DVD, you have to use the DVD standard MPEG2.

In the UK, the video will be 702x576 at 25 frames per second. The video encoding bit is easy, as DVDs all use the same settings and there are many encoders available designed to be easy to use. The hard bit is changing the video size - this will be where your video gets a bit damaged.

You deserve a medal (or a straight a jacket, whichever sounds better) for trying to work with full HD files on an 8 year old laptop, just the thought of it frustrates me! As has been said if you wish to make a playable DVD you will need to convert the full HD video into a standard definition mpeg2 before you can burn it into a dvd. I would seriously consider an upgrade to your computer as I would be surprised if your machine would be able to chew through the full HD files without crashing before it finished the render.

Back