Full or crop camera's and. . . .

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Okay, here's one for all you motorsport togs:

Full Frame or Crop sensor bodies? and why?

Pretend your not already set in your ways with the kit you have - thinking of the question above as well as fast and accurate AF what would you go for - remember were talking just the camera and not glass as well.

.DAVID.

this could be intersting

Money no object then i would have full frame and long glass. The DOF is in a world of its own. But naturally you need longer glass to get the same shots. Which costs money and weighs a lot.

But money is an object and as such the 1d (1.3 crop) is a great trade off between the two. Added to the superior AF on the 1d to 1ds or 5d2.

So i would have a mix of 1d and 1dS bodies. And lots of expensive glass. Bit of an obvious answer but thats why they are the too of the range cameras - they are the best.

The Canon full frame bodies tend to be slower at shifting data around which is something to consider for sport photography.

Last edited:
The 1d 3 and 1ds 3 have the same quoted time of maintaining their highest FPS for.

The 7d is better on jpg than the mk3's, but worse on Raw (baring in mind its 2 or 3 years younger)

The 1d 4 is practically the same as the 7d but shoots more Raw. So i see very little practical differences. Just another good reason not to shoot Raw lol.

Fps is also not a big deal for 95% of the time with motorsports.

Full frame = big lenses and lots of £££ but better results (IMHO)
Crop frame = smaller lenses and less £££ and less weight to cart about

But.....

With Nikons crop frame = less fps. Not that its usually an issue.
One of my favourite shots was taken with a 1000mm mirror lens face on with only a single button press to get it right:

395887408_1172038324_z.jpg

Silverstone - Bayliss and Haga battling for the lead 2006 World Superbikes.

Last edited:
For motorsport I would go for 1D (1.3x crop).

Full frame = big lenses and lots of £££ but better results (IMHO)
Crop frame = smaller lenses and less £££ and less weight to cart about

But.....

One of my favourite shots was taken with a 1000mm mirror lens face on with only a single button press to get it right:

395887408_1172038324_z.jpg

Silverstone - Bayliss and Haga battling for the lead 2006 World Superbikes.
nikon crop =lower fps than what the d300/s will do 8fps same as 7d,

I use D3S and D700 and couldn't ever consider going back to using a crop sensored body, I might possibly consider a D7000 crop for use on International sized cricket pitches.

Err....

D300s (crop) 6fps (8 w/grip)
D700 (FF) 5fps (8 w/grip)

;)

Having owned both, which would I choose? Full frame every time, if I need to get closer I either put up with a heavier lens (on a monopod), add a tc or........

take a few steps nearer :D

Back