Critique Fully loaded

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's something i haven't seen before. A gravid female hoverfly with so many eggs on board her sides have split open :)

I didn't actually notice the eggs until I came to process. I wasn't sure if this would cause her any problems (I thought maybe she'd had a blockage) but a bit of googling suggests this is fairly normal:

Fully Loaded by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

The annoying thing is I seem to have lost the bolt that attaches my flash bracket to camera, so this and my other fly shot ere both taken with the flash on camera, and I had to bend the diffuser down as much a possible to try to get the best result. Seems I won't be doing any very high magnification work until I can replace it!

Last edited:
Amazing Tim, what a capture. That looks so weird. Guess the side is meant to open up but that has exposed the uterus (if bugs have one). Wonder if this is how they lay there eggs?

Another great shot there, looks like the eggs are held in place by a opaque sac. well done and what a find...im really loving this macro photography.

Yes often seen eggs in the abdomen Tim but have to say this is a super photo.

It amazes me what we see after the image was taken, you don,t see some detail in life and then study an image for a few seconds and all sorts of things pop out at you. This is a really good photo.

Stunning work Tim.

Back