Funding the purchase of a 5D mk3

Name
Daz
Edit My Images
No
I've got myself talked into buying myself a mk3.

I currently have a 5D mk2 and a 60D. Which one would you sell? I kinda like the pop out screen on the 60D, but don't use it that often. Selling both isn't an option as I would like a backup body.

I'm also thinking of selling a few lenses:

85mm f1.8 (bought it for portraits and hardly ever use it)
17-40 f4 L (bought it on a whim but I mostly don't go wider than the wide end of my 24-105)

Any opinions?

I only had a 60D for a short while and I've never had a Mk III, so I can't really comment on them, but I would keep the Mk II for it's very close operational layout to the III - if you see what I mean :thinking:

I'd be willing to sell your 5D/2 body, keep the 60D as back up etc.

Check out 'Clifton Cameras', I think they have the 5D/3 on a 0% finance deal, pretty decent...

I would keep both and spend the £'s on glass, the mk3 is such a small improvement over the mk2 and the crop of the 60d could come in handy :thinking:

You don't mention what type of photography you enjoy I had a mk2 and a mk3 iq wise not heaps of difference but if you wanted fps easy remote flash HDR options the mk3 wins hands down

The 60D is great for crop and reach while not going way over on the price of glass, so from your list sell all except the 60D assuming you require reach

Cheers

I would keep both and spend the £'s on glass, the mk3 is such a small improvement over the mk2 and the crop of the 60d could come in handy :thinking:

Sorry cant agree there. AF is miles better, improved weather sealing, small increase in Mp, large increase in Iso performance to name a few items.
A friend photographs weddings (professionally) and he's dropped his PP to virtually nothing compared to the Mk2's he was using or so he tells me.

I'd be highly tempted to sell the 5D2 I doubt you'll use it if you have a Mk3

I like playing devils advocate.
What will a Mk3 do that the others don't? apart from cost a lot more money.
I have a Mk2 and a 7D and having a crop and an FF body to me is a lot better than having one body.

I've got myself talked into buying myself a mk3.

I currently have a 5D mk2 and a 60D. Which one would you sell? I kinda like the pop out screen on the 60D, but don't use it that often. Selling both isn't an option as I would like a backup body.

I'm also thinking of selling a few lenses:

85mm f1.8 (bought it for portraits and hardly ever use it)
17-40 f4 L (bought it on a whim but I mostly don't go wider than the wide end of my 24-105)

Any opinions?

How have you talked yourself into buying the Mk3?

Ie what do you shoot that you currently have problems with using your current camera combination?

I sold a 5D2 and a 7D to get my hands on a 5D3 and IMHO it was worth every penny. I eventually added a 60D to the 5D3 for the times I needed the reach. After getting into bird photography I decided to swap the 60D for another 7D for the better AF system. I ended up regretting the swap as the 7D, while excellent at low ISO, was more of a pain than a pleasure to use at high ISO's.

I've recently part ex'd the 7D for a new 70D and I'm already so much happier with the 70D performance than I ever was with the 7D. With that in mind, my advice as to which to keep, if you shoot birds, wildlife or aviation then keep the 60D for the reach. If you shoot landscapes, portraits or street photography I'd keep the 5D2 as the 5D2 will give you the best results. If you shoot sports, action or anything else just use the 5D3 when you get it.

I moved from a 40D to a 5D MKIII, I will never go back. I shoot mainly landscape/cityscapes and portraits, so it's ideal for me.

As said before, if you need the reach keep the 60D.

Sorry but I totally disagree. 1Ds mkii from 2004 was all round better than 5DII due to reliable AF and sealing, and more fps. Between 5DII and 60D it makes sense to keep the 5DII, at least the image quality is quite decent on that assuming the focus is there.

Back