Fundy Album Builder

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking around for a piece of software to help me build my albums and although I looked at offerings from Photojunction, Yervant and YSI most of them were just templates and many of them were overstylised (IMO) and geared towards what I call the American market. They were also quite expensive with most around the £250-£300 mark which is a lot of money if you discover it isn't the one for you.

A couple of days ago I came across the Fundy Album Builder from Solutions on Steroids, the price is reasonable and you use it inside Photoshop where it utilises Scripts and Actions to help you build your album. Obviously any new process takes time and following a few hours of tinkering I was able to build an album for a client in about 2 1/2 hours. I must stress this isn't a template package but more of a tool to allow you to build albums quickly and efficiently.

Once I started to get the hang of it my workflow was much quicker, once I'd decided what images to put on this spread the example below took me about three minutes to make from start to finish including adding the gradient, placement etc:

7-8.jpg

If you are looking for something like this I can highly recommend it.

(y)

Just been researching Fundy.. how you finding this now mate? Do you use the proof album generator, assuming it comes with it?

Nice one - I use dg-foto (well with a business name like mine I just had to!)

It has loads of totally crap templates - but many of the backgrounds are useful and it's easy to design your own templates too. Took me f-ing ages to get the hang of and it has a number of quirks I had to work around, but now all seems swift and easy

For this year I'm hoping to work towards certain 'Album Styles', which I can then shoot towards if a client favours one absolutely - but I'll probably just shoot like Hell and see what they fancy afterwards! :LOL:

Any of these sorts of software packages take DAYS off doing it all in Photoshop IMHO

DD

Just been researching Fundy.. how you finding this now mate? Do you use the proof album generator, assuming it comes with it?

I love it, the new version has just been released and it has so much more functionality and is completely customisable. I don't use the proof album generator as I just send the clients a small JPEG of the page and let them make comments or changes that way.

I tried a few programs, including AlbumDS and Pixel Creator Pro. I liked them for working within Photoshop, which is ultimately what I wanted to do.

Both of those programs are in the $350-$400 range, and the extras you can purchase aren't cheap either. Sadly, the demos didn't come with a lot of templates either, so it was looking like I'd have to build the pages manually in Photoshop after reading a few online tutorials.

Then I stumbled across a (pre-v2) demo of Fundy's EZ program. It gave me everything I needed, was easy to work with and the learning curve was very short. For an beginner like me, it helped greatly in the sense of both design and speed. More importantly, my niece still raves about the book.

For the record, I don't do this for a living but if I did, I'd probably go with Fundy Album Builder. For the price, it's hard to beat and the v2 'puzzle maker' is pretty cool.

It's well worth a look.

And no, I don't know Fundy.

-SteveL

Just tagging this so I can have a look when i get home from work.

Back