Fungus in Lenes

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I did a quick search but couldn't find any information.

I had sent my tamron 150-600mm lens as part exchange, received email this morning to say, they couldn't except it as when the checked they found fungus, so would unfortunately be returning the lens to me, they couldn't keep it on site, due to given time fungus could spread to other lenses..

So kind of panicking now, have I got issues in any of my other lenses, could it have contaminated these etc.. I don't even know what lens fungus likes like, so will be having a good look at it when it arrives back.

But how does it get there, I know fungus spores can travel via air. But probably causes or should I say what conditions are best avoided.

And is it worth, seeing if the fungus can be removed or is the cost just not worth it

Basically fungus in lenses can be caused by moisture. There are many ways this can happen but often caused by condensation when taking a camera/lenses from a cold environment to a warm/hot one or vice versa, there lots of things you can do to stop this happening but basically you need to make the transition from cold to hot etc a gradual process. Keep the lens stored in a dry place, dry it if it gets wet etc etc.

When you consider the dust which invariably finds its way in over time is largely organic - pollen and skin particles being favourites, it isn't surprising you get a little ecosystem developing eventually.

I'm sure I read that UV light kills fungus. Maybe leaving the lens on the window ledge in daylight will?

Eek, still sounds very disconcerting...

When the lenses arrive back tomorrow, I shall certainly check it out see if I can actually see anything, if I can't, I'll pop into the local camera shop, see if they can see anything.

Normal going, yep lens wiped down if it gets wet, and tend to leave most of my lenses in the camera bag when I get home, this one the exception due to it's size. But shall be more weary with Lenses, more so my new sigma, don't think hubby be too chuffed buying another one..

No not Wex, mpb first time I've dealt with them, but understand they're are a reasonable company to deal with.

I too had a lens rejected by mpb a while back. I’d only had it about 6 months and purchased it from them. I’ve never had a problem before and keep my gear in a dry box when not in use. I queried it with them and was assured it could have occurred that quickly, personally, I have my doubts, but there was nothing I could do about it as it was out of warranty. I confess, it left a nasty taste and I’ve avoided using them ever since. I was also owed postage on a return of another lens, that was ages ago and despite emailing the refund was never paid. It was about £10, so I suppose I should have phoned, but it shouldn’t have been necessary.

I had a couple of lenses refused by MPB and when a light is shone through I can see one has a tiny spec of fungus, the other might have or it might be dust.

I do wonder if the refusal of lenses with fungus is more to do with them being difficult to sell than the risk of cross infection of other stock.

We had one refused too. When it gets back shine a torch into the lens and look inside at all angles. if you see like spider web thread in there then this is the fungus. You can try putting lens in a Tupperware full of rice with a top on for a few days, use silica bags in a Tupperware with top on or just on window sill. If no improvement a few days later then it might need to be sent away to be professionally cleaned. We were told our 70-200 lens was too old to be professionally cleaned because they didn’t have spare parts if anything went wrong during cleaning but they initially quoted about £180 max.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I think they are just being over careful ,I had a flash gun rejected as they claimed it was corroded , , a touch of cleaning fluid on the terminals and it worked perfectly , even got £50 more on e.bay than they offered

Normal going, yep lens wiped down if it gets wet, and tend to leave most of my lenses in the camera bag when I get home, this one the exception due to it's size. But shall be more weary with Lenses, more so my new sigma, don't think hubby be too chuffed buying another one..
If you leave a damp lens (even a very slightly damp lens) in the camera bag, you are sealing what damp there is in the lens and this will encourage fungus growth. When I am out, I will wipe any visible moisture off the lens and then I keep my Sigma 150-600 C lens in the provided soft case to prevent condensation forming on the cold lens. By the time I get home, the lens will have warmed enough to prevent condensation and I will leave the lens out of its case on the sideboard over night. If I have been surprised by significant rain when out, I will leave the lens on the sideboard for several days before putting it away.

Any spec or item that appears on the inside of a lens when a shop shines a light through it will be rejected. As they have to sell it on and I believe cannot sell a potential damaged lens !
I have had this problem with a shop.
I have stored my lenses well in boxes with crystals packets and one lens had a slight small amount of fungus !
Just put the lenses on a window shelf with caps off for 2 or 3 sunny days. That will kill of any bacteria but remove it.

Checking out my dads collection last night, one modern lens has something that might be fungus but the rest seem clear, they have been stored in a dry environment for a long time. Considering he used to use some on a small yacht for many years which is probably the worst place for damp going im surprised they are so good.

Back