Fungus/mould on Leicaflex body

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
My dad's given me his old Leicaflx, and on closer inspection at home it looks to have spots of mould on the top plate, and on the part of the shutter curtain visible when it's wound forward.

Any ideas for cleaning?
I was thinking of something like lighter fluid for the metal parts, as it would hopefully evaporate without running into the inner workings anywhere.
Dunno what to do about the cloth curtain.

Thanks a lot.

The top plate being metal I presume will clean up quite easily ....whatever product you use, be sure it doesn’t enter the camera or destroy more delicate areas of the caméra. Tbh dampen slightly a cloth with your chosen product rather than apply direct to camera.
As for the curtain..... bad news!
If it’s just a spot or two, expose affected area to sunlight will help kill visible spores but internally it could be a mess.
Applying any solution to the shutter curtain is likely to result in tears I think.

I think I'd send it off to someone who knows what they're doing.

Miles Whitehead is the go to guy round these parts.

Applying any solution to the shutter curtain is likely to result in tears I think.

Tears as in watering eyes or as in rips? I was wondering earlier if a squirt of the spray for athlete's foot might work - it's a fungicide. TBH though, a proper CLA + repair as necessary is a better idea!

Thanks for the replies.

Got the metalwork cleaned a treat with a No Chemicals brand microfibre cloth. You soak it in water, and wring it out really well so that the cloth is just a bit moist. I'm hoping that's cleared it up as far as the metalwork is concerned.

Not too sure if it's actually fungus on the shutter curtain now, as I've notice that it has a very definite demarcation line where it starts. I think it's more likely an accumulation of dust or emulsion residue that has been compacted when that part of the curtain rolls back inside the body. Hope so, anyway!

Cheers

Back