Fungus on new lens

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I bought a Nikon 16-85mm from eBay which was described as being in good condition. I got it for a good price, but when it arrived today I noticed what looks like fungus on the inside. I've never had fungus on any of my lenses, but from Google searches it looks like fungus.

What sort of effect is this likely to have on the lens? Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to photograph anything with it yet, but hoping to head out tomorrow morning. Just wondering if it's worth returning it or not.

Thanks 20210210_170317.jpg

IMO, good condition is not what I would call that and yes it does have the look of fungus and quite an infestation at that NB if not fungus, severe 'damage' to the coatings which is also bad news :(

I would not even bother to mount it and risk fungal spores getting into the camera body........................reject it and send back FWIW.

It's the seller's problem. Don't let them make it yours.
"If the item you received arrived damaged, doesn't match the listing description, or if it's the wrong item, you're covered under the eBay Money Back Guarantee. In most circumstances you can return it even if the seller's returns policy says they don't accept returns."

Yep definetly not as described , request a return a.s .a.p , do not leave it anywhere near your own equipment .. insert photo above into return request

There's no way the seller didn't know. As others have said, straight back.

The effect on (most) photos will probably be difficult to detect, there's also the chance it is no longer active and/or could be killed by UV or being kept dry.
I would still return it of course but it is not worthless.

There have been specs of organic dust or pollen in it and then it's been kept in a humid dark place for months if not years.

Back