Funnelweb Spider

Bev

Name
Bev
Edit My Images
No
This is one shot i got of a funnelweb spider clutching on to its meal, a blue bootle.
funnel9.jpg

'Funnel web' sounds dangerous. Doesn't look that dangerous:)

Don't think I'd want to pick it up though.

I'd have cropped it so he was more top left of frame looking down into some space. bit too central as it is.

How big was the little fella? Hard to tell.

Being a bit of an arachnophobe :runaway: I always imagine spiders in close up are 15 inches across! Can sort of sense instinctively how big flies / bees / moths really are, and calibrate the senses. But spiders....huge! (Or is it just me?)

Nice photo. Shame the blue bottle wasn't a bit clearer for scale.

good clear pic, although the composition is a bit off, a bit too central.

Doesn't look much like a Funnelweb to me (although i'm no spider expert)!

I don't think it's a funnelweb either. Funnelwebs are like beatles with 8 legs. And Very, very dangerous. The Male is the most deadly followed by the female, followed by the redback and then the white tip spider. But I cannot identify that spider. I just remember the 4 most deadly spiders in Australia to aviod them.

Just Google for Funnel Web and see the images that come up - this doesn't look much like one to be honest. Then again I can't stand any spider that's bigger than a money spider anyway :runaway:

Edit - Cobra beat me to it by a minute .....

I don't think it's a funnelweb either. Funnelwebs are like beatles with 8 legs. And Very, very dangerous. The Male is the most deadly followed by the female, followed by the redback and then the white tip spider. But I cannot identify that spider. I just remember the 4 most deadly spiders in Australia to aviod them.

I was bitten on the foot by a White Tailed Spider whilst in New Zealand (I think a good few hopped across the Tasman Sea) it just resulted in a big blister that took 3 lots of antibiotics to get rid of, still have the scar 2 years on.

Chris

Thanks everyone for your replies, the true name for it is a "Grass Funnelweb-Weaver" spider so my apologies for the wrong title:thinking:, it is totally unrelated to the poisonous Australian Funnelweb although they build their homes the same, and the Funnelweb-weaver is upto 15mm whereas the Aust. Funnelweb goes upto 35mm (female). It is totally harmless but fascinating to study!
I have attached another view of the spider with its prey which i think is slightly more clearer, and i will have a go at cropping this one and see how it works.(y)
funnel10.jpg

Anyone else itching after reading this thread??

Fascinating photos by the way. :)

Yes it's a Funnel Weaver - Tegenaria agrestis to be precise.

Though it also goes by the more fun name "hobo spider" because they spin their webs but only stay for a few days before moving to another location.

Nice shots!

Darknfuzzy, moomike and nigelcampbell thanks for your comments and also for the further info regarding these spiders. really enjoying learning about these guys.:D

Back