Furious!

• Thread starter meatcandy89
  • Start date
As you have mentioned that you are earning money from this equipment (or indeed, not earning because of dodgy equipment so any savings are already bring eroded), you should consider investing in some brand new glass. I appreciate its an expense, perhaps some sort of finance arrangement would help ease the burden over a short period, and the lens cost would of course be offsetable against your operating profits for tax purposes. Whilst it may just be bad luck, continuing like this surely isn't an option when it's affecting your income.

I've never had anything other than great service from MPB - so this is unusual to say the least. Perhaps you should contact the boss there, they might be amenable to a) making sure you get a decent copy , and b) giving you a discount for your trouble

Ive just popped onto their website to get the phone number, and have a look at what theyve got in stock, and noticed a 80-200 with this note on it......

Please note that the front element of the lens has a small scuff on it which is just visible in the picture, the lens has been tested and we have found that it doesn't affect the image quality, and also the AF is a little noisey.

are they really selling that lens?!?! "a little noisey????" it sounds like a kids lazer gun" and gets stuck at the extremities, the rep also confirmed this on the phone when they checked it.

If thats really the one its pretty terrible!
Although the lens i rec'd didnt have any marks on the front element.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul i wish i could afford a vr2 new, but its just simply not an option. shelling out 900 for d700 + 80-200 af-s and a 28-70 af-s is over 2 grand, when im only making about £50 a day once a week, i really cant justify it.

not to mention the fact im "saving" to get married in april!

Ive just popped onto their website to get the phone number, and have a look at what theyve got in stock, and noticed a 80-200 with this note on it......

Please note that the front element of the lens has a small scuff on it which is just visible in the picture, the lens has been tested and we have found that it doesn't affect the image quality, and also the AF is a little noisey.

are they really selling that lens?!?! "a little noisey????" it sounds like a kids lazer gun" and gets stuck at the extremities, the rep also confirmed this on the phone when they checked it.

If thats really the one its an absolute disgrace.

Have they dropped the price on it this time round? They usually reduce prices for known 'faulty' stuff. If it's remained the same, then that is pretty terrible practice.

are you sure its just not a noisy lens? has anyone else got one they can comment on?

I have a 80-200mm AF-S lens and mine squeaks too - since I bought it 5 years ago. It does it for the first 4 or 5 times you AF if its not been used for a bit or if its been somewhere cold & damp (like a couriers depot or van overnight?). Maybe put if somewhere with some of those little packets to soak the moisture up and see if thats any better?

ok so, just rang them.

Like ive said all along the customer service in terms of phone conversation has always been very professional and courteous, its just the bad lenses and errors that have made my dealings with fixation and mpb a nightmare. (must just be my bad luck, ive never known anyone like it!)

The rep at MPB (who is probably reading this :) hi kat ) went out of her way to e-mail me last night when she saw this thread and realised what had happened (well past her bedtime.)
Offered her apologies for what has happened and offered a new lens (vr1) at an attractive price.

I guess, (as long as it turns up working, and the right lens) its a win win for me, but the last 3 weeks Ive been lens less, so In balance ive still ended up loosing out, and looking like a tool having to ask to borrow lenses to do jobs! ha.

Lets hope that this is the end of the saga!

fingers crossed, and i might even do a grand opening video tomorrow :)

Have they dropped the price on it this time round? They usually reduce prices for known 'faulty' stuff. If it's remained the same, then that is pretty terrible practice.

I purchased for 650 but they wanted 700, and its now up for 650.

I have a 80-200mm AF-S lens and mine squeaks too - since I bought it 5 years ago. It does it for the first 4 or 5 times you AF if its not been used for a bit or if its been somewhere cold & damp (like a couriers depot or van overnight?). Maybe put if somewhere with some of those little packets to soak the moisture up and see if thats any better?

I get what your saying but the lens i got was definatly not just a little squeak. if you could have used/tried it you would understand :)

I have those little packet things in my tog bag, there excellent if your kit gets wet on a days shooting too!

WHAHAAAAAAAAT HAVE I DONE WRONG IN LIFE!
Working for FedEx perhaps!?
gnasher.gif

:D

But sorry to hear about your little journey. Hope to a happy end! (y)

Back