further to my 6d quest - general walk about prime

Edit My Images
No
Looking for a compact price for about £500 max. The canon 35mm f2 IS comes to mind. Seems get good reviews on Fred Mirrand?

Any views, thoughts or alternatives within budget.

Ps the sigma 35 F1.4 get good review but is slightly out of the budges, too big and non IS

Until you got to the last sentence I was going to sing the praises of the sigma... Could get a second hand one in that price range.

If you want a lens that size and with IS I think you're probably looking at whether 28mm or 35mm better suits your needs and buying the Canon lens!

Yeh I know re the sigma but it a bit large. Not considered 28mm but the general consensus is the 35 is a great focal length for full frame as a general walk about street lens.

It is - and is my choice (albeit a 23mm on a Fuji - Canon kit is mostly just for weddings now). But you didn't say much about what you shoot so hard to say.
Other people swear by a 50mm though, and often I prefer more of an 85mm sort of length...

You could look at your photos for most common focal length and go with that?

(though an 85mm would likely be a larger and IS free lens and the affordable 50mm are also without IS I think)

Actually the 50mm IS appears to still he a rumour at this stage so definitely not an option!

I still love my 35mm f2 mk1 on my 6d, it takes beautiful images. Very sharp, even at f/2. The corners aren't as good as the mk2 wide open but otherwise it can't be faulted. Doesn't weigh anything and can be had for about £150?

I ended up ordering the Canon 35mm f2 IS from HDEW as I was already ordering a 6D from them

You chose well.

The times I decide to take only one lens on my 5DIII (or soon to be added 6D) it is the 35mm F2 IS.
Perfect for shooting people. Scenes in the city. Landscapes. As a general lens it is wonderful and having IS means you can shoot static stuff without a pod in really low light. I've shot gigs from the photo pit with just that lens as well as live music acts in a local pub.

Did I mention I love that lens?

Last edited:
Just spotted you went for the 35mm f2. Good choice.

Last edited:
Sigma 35mm Art if you're looking at 35mm.
My walkabout is a zeiss 50mm f2 which I love for its size image quality but it's not for everyone.

The 35mm f/2 IS is one of the best non-L lenses that Canon do. Great little lens. If I hadn't already shelled out on the Sigma Art 35mm I would have gone for it in a flash. I did buy the 24mm f/2.8 IS which is also a super lens.

The 35mm f/2 IS is one of the best non-L lenses that Canon do. Great little lens. If I hadn't already shelled out on the Sigma Art 35mm I would have gone for it in a flash. I did buy the 24mm f/2.8 IS which is also a super lens.

Jolyon, how does the Art compare to the canon?

Sold my 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 to get the 35mm f2 IS and it now lives on my 5d mkii! Fantastic lens produces great results from wide open and for me is the perfect size/weight!

Back