Future Video

Thanks for that link, I find the idea of 4k/UHD and higher resolutions very interesting, I still have to do more research to fully understand the implications of the newly emerging standards, I just wish the EBU were more forthcoming with their publications.

The problem I see with these new TV's is the way the product is delivered. With conventional signal compression you would need 4 times the bandwidth to send a uHDTV signal compared to a conventional one. This could cause a problem for satellite operators and terrestrial operators. One answer in the short term is programmes are distributed via the internet. Now this may not give real time programming, however the programme could be buffered in a storage device, such is now used for catch up TV? I know Netflix is experimenting with uHDTV/4K , but I do wonder if we really need this level of detail in the average living room. OK on large 60"+ TV's, and I've seen the big 65" Samsung, which looks impressive. But it's huge. You need to be well back to see the whole screen, which defeats the object :).

I'm going to wait and see if it takes off . It will probably be more successful than 3D TV, but I think there are hurdles to overcome before it becomes mainstream.

High Efficiency Video Codecs (HEVC) are being developed to cope with the high compression needed to deliver UHD content using the currently available bandwidth, you can read more about it HERE.

If you read up on UHDTV, you're meant to sit much closer, filling your field of view. You're not meant to see the whole screen at once anymore.

The BBC are running a trial from various transmitters of World Cup 4k HEVC video already.

So who is encoding in HEVC?
Been experimenting at downsizing 4K into HEVC at 1080p in Premiere with inconclusive results. I'm starting with H264 files though so not sure this is ever going to work properly?
Support still seems surprisingly limited, e.g. VLC doesn't seem to be able to play 4K HEVC - which surprised me as I thought it was supposed to be good or better quality in a lighter weight file.

Last edited:
Back