G Tech drive from Amazon

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve bought a replacement G Tech drive as my thunderbolt 2 drive is failing after nearly 7 years. I decided to buy another as I need thunderbolt connection being a Mac user. As Amazon had the 6TB version for £20 more than jigsaw had the 4TB version I decided the 6TB would future proof me better.

It arrived today. It had no outer protective packaging and the security seals were both open.

1E73A739-901F-4CF4-BC50-9CD38F4DC0CB.jpeg

C38BEB73-4482-4975-9015-82AC60A7E992.jpeg

I’ve filled in the return as I don’t feel happy having been sent a new drive with opened security seals and slightly damaged outer packaging. For all I know this could be a customer return. Am I being a bit hasty as there is could be nothing wrong with it?

Edit: When looking again on Amazon it seems you have to select to ship in Amazon packaging. Why wouldn’t you want a £300 hard drive not shipped in Amazon packaging to protect it during delivery? I’ve not noticed this as an option on other orders. Seems a little daft on a product like this.

Last edited:
I’ve bought a replacement G Tech drive as my thunderbolt 2 drive is failing after nearly 7 years. I decided to buy another as I need thunderbolt connection being a Mac user. As Amazon had the 6TB version for £20 more than jigsaw had the 4TB version I decided the 6TB would future proof me better.

It arrived today. It had no outer protective packaging and the security seals were both open.

View attachment 304298

View attachment 304297

I’ve filled in the return and refill as I don’t feel happy having been sent a new drive with opened security seals and slightly damaged outer packaging. For all I know this could be a customer return. Am I being a bit hasty as there is nothing wrong with it?
Considering all things, a return is sensible if you can get a replacement.

I decided to send it back and reorder another but this time select the Amazon packaging option.

The replacement was delivered today and is fine (no box damage and still sealed) as it was properly packaged. I still don’t understand why they don’t package it as standard. Seems daft to me.

The other drive has been returned. Returning was ok as it was just a case of selecting return on the website, printing the return label and dropping off at the post office.

If in doubt send it back...

If it is purely as a back up and NOT going to be accessed regularly - amazon prime gives you unlimited photo storage and that might be a cost effective option for you.

This drive is to replace my main Lightroom RAW storage drive. I have a RAID drive for onsite backup and two portable hard drives for offsite backup. I’m planning to look into cloud storage options as only recently have I upgraded to fast broadband. Before my upload speed was 0.4mbps which would have took a ridiculous amount of time to upload my RAW files.

I decided to send it back and reorder another but this time select the Amazon packaging option.

The replacement was delivered today and is fine (no box damage and still sealed) as it was properly packaged. I still don’t understand why they don’t package it as standard. Seems daft to me.

The other drive has been returned. Returning was ok as it was just a case of selecting return on the website, printing the return label and dropping off at the post office.

This drive is to replace my main Lightroom RAW storage drive. I have a RAID drive for onsite backup and two portable hard drives for offsite backup. I’m planning to look into cloud storage options as only recently have I upgraded to fast broadband. Before my upload speed was 0.4mbps which would have took a ridiculous amount of time to upload my RAW files.

I'm guessing you have Prime? Amazon do unlimited photo storage, even RAW files, its included with Prime membership.

I'm guessing you have Prime? Amazon do unlimited photo storage, even RAW files, its included with Prime membership.
I do. I’m thinking of using it but not got around to it. I’ve not used it before as my internet upload speed was far to low that it would have taken a silly amount of time to do it.

I do. I’m thinking of using it but not got around to it. I’ve not used it before as my internet upload speed was far to low that it would have taken a silly amount of time to do it.

You need decent broadband or a lot of patience.

Back