G9 to S5 or G9ii

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been offered an S5 with kit lens, new and boxed for a very good price.
However it doesn't seem to offer much more than the G9 does, if I add £700 for a lens, I am then up to what a G9ii would cost, plus there are not many lenses for it, and what there are seem to cost a fortune.

So then I went back to looking at the G9ii (who has a G9 who wouldn't like a G9ii ! )

It offers a few more pixels than the G9, had phase detect focus (haven't heard yet if that can cause banding like some other makes get) more focus modes, and it would appear slightly better image quality numbers.

However, at more than three times the price of a "like new" G9, is it worth it, or have I missed something important?

The panasonic 20-60 F3.5-5.6 which is the standard kit lens for the full frame S5 is £229 in as new condition from MPB. It is a great performer and is weather sealed.

Isn't th S5 full frame compared to the G9 M43?
Yes, it is, and has better low light performance, but I don't need any of the other FF benefits, and especially not the extra cost of lenses.

The panasonic 20-60 F3.5-5.6 which is the standard kit lens for the full frame S5 is £229 in as new condition from MPB. It is a great performer and is weather sealed.
Thanks, it does come with the kit lens as I mentioned, however I would need to buy something like a 70-200

The 20-60 is a brilliant lens - light and very sharp.

The S5 is the biggest bargain in the FF world imo but it’s a different beast to the G9 ii.

What do you take photos off ? It’s its landscape than its the S5 all the way but if you shoot wildlife it’s the G9.

The 20-60 is a brilliant lens - light and very sharp.

The S5 is the biggest bargain in the FF world imo but it’s a different beast to the G9 ii.

What do you take photos off ? It’s its landscape than its the S5 all the way but if you shoot wildlife it’s the G9.
Very little landscape, and often use the 100-300 or 100-400 lenses.

I wouldn't think about any other full frame except Panasonic :)

I think lenses are going to be the stumbling block in reality.

Back