Gallery Problems ?

Edit My Images
No
Is it me guys 'n gals or are others experiencing Gallery upload problems ?

I am singularly failing to upload anything other than really tiny files into my gallery and thence post onto Sharing/Critique Forums (Forae ?).

Despite Matty's best efforts this has not changed yet ...

Files start out at 160kb before uploading and despite unticking the re-size box and trying various methods of upload it is still the same !

Help or advice from anyone ... or even confirmation it is not just me would be gratefully received ?

Thanx for reading ... and (in advance) for commenting if you choose to !

Cheers,

I'm having no probs. Weird. Have you got a decent Internet connection?

Are you sure your files are 160k or less before uploading?

The gallery software will resize anything that is above 800 pixels and 160k.
The result of this is the images that are reduced may pick up downsample artifacts.

I've just checked your gallery and one of the new images (orange mobile) was 188k. The gallery has now resized it.

CT said:
I'm having no probs. Weird. Have you got a decent Internet connection?

I think so ... BT/Yahoo 2MB Broadband and working fine !

Matt said:
Are you sure your files are 160k or less before uploading?

The gallery software will resize anything that is above 800 pixels and 160k.
The result of this is the images that are reduced may pick up downsample artifacts.

I've just checked your gallery and one of the new images (orange mobile) was 188k. The gallery has now resized it.

Not sure about the last ones Matt as I rushed them when uploading to post them just now ! - the one you mention was around 29KB after uploading so that is weird !

But the ones Matty and I were playing with the other day were; Ice Kool 'n Kozy and Snowdrop ! And both of these were definitely 159kb before uploading ? It was Snowdrop that started it as it was really horrible when I posted it !

Just like the Tubes shot I have just posted ... very small file size again causing pixellation !

I did notice in various threads a lot of the postings are very small sizes and showing up extremes of pixellation when viewed ... by me at least !

Thanks for both your comments though - hope it sorts out.

Venomator said:
I think so ... BT/Yahoo 2MB Broadband and working fine !

Not sure about the last ones Matt as I rushed them when uploading to post them just now ! - the one you mention was around 29KB after uploading so that is weird !

Thanks for both your comments though - hope it sorts out.

Matt and Matty know much more about Gallery 2 than I do but I can confirm that the above is not weird at all. When Gallery detects a picture that is oversize in filesize it doesn't attempt to reduce it to just below the allowed limit, it automatically compresses it by a massive amount which usually results in your photos being around 30kb and ofter very low quailty. As far as I am aware there is no way to alter the amount of compression it uses and so that is why we always recommend that you make sure your file sizes are below the 160kb limit before uploading so that they are not compressed at all by the gallery software.

I can only add that when I ensure my file sizes are within the limits, they are fine and the Gallery is working correctly for me. Not much help but posted for information. :embarasse

Pretty much what Steve said. Gallery resizing images has always been a bit "bleurgh" for compression, which is why I too have always kept under the limit.
Never had any problems here.
When resizing, I use the Save for Web > Optimize to file size, and it's never gotten it wrong :)

i havent been able to find out why Vens piccies are bing mashed, i logged in as myself and uploaded an image and it was fine, so at the moment, i'm afraid im at a loss to explain it!

Steve said:
Matt and Matty know much more about Gallery 2 than I do but I can confirm that the above is not weird at all. When Gallery detects a picture that is oversize in filesize it doesn't attempt to reduce it to just below the allowed limit, it automatically compresses it by a massive amount which usually results in your photos being around 30kb and ofter very low quailty. As far as I am aware there is no way to alter the amount of compression it uses and so that is why we always recommend that you make sure your file sizes are below the 160kb limit before uploading so that they are not compressed at all by the gallery software.

I was not fully aware of the unpredictable nature of the gallery re-sizing I have to say so this may account for some of my own problems ! :embarasse

However, one of the files I have just sent to Matty as suggested by him and SammyC was saved in the method described by Matt above (thanks Matt !) and came in at 159kb and was the one that started this for me ?

That said ... the other thread (London Weekend Pics) seems to be suggesting I am seeing file sizes and pics differently to everyone else and this is of more concern !

Steve said:
I can only add that when I ensure my file sizes are within the limits, they are fine and the Gallery is working correctly for me. Not much help but posted for information. :embarasse

Every little helps Steve and I really appreciate everyone's input on this little glitch I have ! I am sure it will be sorted at some point ! :ponders:

Thanks so far to everyone for commenting ! :thumb:

the size issue i think we have nailed, the image quality might well be down to browser/monitor combination, DF had a similar issue, changed to firefox and it was cured for him

Ahh Internutty Exploder strikes again :p

ive checked your settings dave, you should be ok now, though i dont know why the thing had set itself to 600x, when we set the gallery up we set it to 800x 160kb max, it seems its taken some of the gallerys at 600x still.

DJW said:
I uploaded a 800 pixel photo last night at < 160K & it resized it to 600 pixels & 76K :( :- http://www.tpfgallery.com/gallery2/d/10679-2/Gretton.jpg

Just as a follow up my file properties show Dave's picture at 28,427 bytes and 600 x 415 pixels ! :dizzy:

Dave reckons its 76k ... I think should try Firefox over the weekend to check if the browser does make a difference !?! :smilenod:

Cheers again eveyone for your comments, and much respect to Matty, Steve, Matt & Marcel et al on the admin team for all their help and patience ! :thumb:

I see 76k as well.

No possiblity it is your ISP using some kind of compression system to reduce bandwidth?

Venomator
Just a completely off the wall thought, you are not using OnSpeed or some form of proxy service are you? Check proxy server setting in IE.

Mark

mfwild13 said:
Venomator
Just a completely off the wall thought, you are not using OnSpeed or some form of proxy service are you? Check proxy server setting in IE.

Mark

Very good point Mark ... I do use OnSpeed ! Have you or anyone else knowledge/experience of similar difficulties with this add-in ?

I will try disabling it and running things through again ! :smilenod:

Thanks for the observation ... :getmecoat

RobertP said:
I see 76k as well.

No possiblity it is your ISP using some kind of compression system to reduce bandwidth?

:eek:ops: Couldn't be bothered to wait to the weekend - just loaded Firefox and guess what ... :doh:

Yippee ... YES - I can now see 76kb on Dave's pic above ! :clap: (And that is without touching OnSpeed yet Mark !)

I cannot believe it really is as simple as that (old cynic I am !) and must go thorugh everything else just to check all is well everywhere !

If this does cure all the above ills it just shows perhaps I shoulda listened to this advice in the first place ! :getmecoat :embarasse

Thanks to everyone for all your time, help, advice and pointers ! :ty:

Glad your back on board Rog.....now you'll have to revisit all those photo's to see them at full res ;)

DJW said:
Glad your back on board Rog.....now you'll have to revisit all those photo's to see them at full res ;)

Thanx Dave ... it took a while but with the concerted help and assistance of everyone here it appears to be sorted ! Thanks to everyone ... :clap:

Tell you what though ... I cannot praise Firefox enough ! It is clean, simple, quick to download, no messing, no fuss, no frills and no hassle ... and above all it has made such a difference to all my internet work and forum viewings - it is so damned fast compared to the rubbish I was putting up with ! :doh:

Absolutely brilliant advice ! :thumb: :smilenod:

Well, yes, it would be cheap at half the price, but it isn't so cough up. And don't give me any 'It was Matty that suggested FF!', that has nothing to do with it!

;)

i cant beleive i suggested it either!

Back