Gamer Enlarger

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, as per my other thread i want some B&W filters.
Below is a pic of the enlarger and the filter tray, do you
have any suggestions as to what filters and size
The tray is 7.2cm / 8.0cm

Gamer Enlarger

Filter Tray

Last edited:
Hi, as per my other thread i want some B&W filters.
Below is a pic of the enlarger and the filter tray, do you
have any suggestions as to what filters and size
The tray is 7.2cm / 8.0cm

Hi all,
Just started in Film as i couldn't afford a decent Digital Camera lol
Nah i wanted to try film as the family keep moaning they dont get any pictures,
real pictures i mean.
Just set up a Darkroom also with colour and B & W gear, Jobo, Durst Colour Enlarger etc, etc
Also setup a Gamer (60's i think) Enlarger for B & W, its built like it was made to last forever.
Anyway thats me,

I've copied your other post over, as it was in a different forum, it takes a bit of finding !

You know you can use the colour enlarger for B&W too ?

Rich

Yes and the durst has a switch for removing the colour filters out of the way for B&W
But unless you hang filters below the lens, i can't find anywhere else to place them.
The Gamer has a dedicated drawer for the filters as above in the pics.

The trouble is i am really new at this and doing it on the fly, the only learning material is from the Internet and you tube with some trial and error.
I apologise if the burden of all my questions falls on this forum :shrug:

With the durst, you use the red and yellow filters as contrast filters. Adding red increases the contrast, adding yellow removes the contrast. Ignore the blue as it doesn't affect the contrast

Now thats a good idea, i wouldn't have thought of it :thinking:
Is there anyway of knowing for sure the amount of filter before you start
or doing test strips and testing to get results ?

The only real way to know is through experimentation, pick one negative and make 11 prints
1 with no filters
5 with increasing red
5 with increasing yellow
Then keep them handy when doing prints :)

Agfa used to do a full set of cp filters for use in a tray. They went up in fives to a hundred units for each colour.
Ilford made tray filters for BW multicontrast printing.

Thanks for that Rob
That sounds very do-able and a handy reference,

Thanks Terry
I have in my ebay watch list a full set of Ilford Filters
but there are days left and i hate to wait lol i am 45 and need to learn some paitence
i think ;)

Have a look for the datasheet in the box of paper. These often have the filter settings for durst enlargers equating to different print grades. Failing that I can dig out my filter settings cheat sheet from an Ilford book I have but be warned it only applies to Ilford paper, Fotospeed papers for example are markedly different.

I found this trawling the net, Hopefully this is what your talking about,
:)

table

Last edited:
That's certainly one of them. There's also one for using yellow and red at the same time for finer control somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Those values look pretty similar to the ones i use, cant check as the darkroom is in Manchester and i'm in Leeds right now

You are going to get into a right mess here. If you just want to print black and white prints read on.
Firstly RED and yellow filters are not used to alter the contrast of a black and white print.MAGENTA and yellow are used.
You should start from the standpoint of not using any filters if you want to do black and white properly. Filters were never used in black and white photography until variable contrast printing paper was introduced 1970's. Filters are therefore simply a substitute for different contrast papers.
You should expose and develop your negative properly.Then do a test print without any filters. See the results and adjust the development of the negative in future so you do not need filters.Then when you have found the correct development time for your normal negative ie a good average print can be obtained from it,you can consider using a small amount of yellow(reduces the contrast) or magenta(increases the contrast).If you go straight into the process thinking you can use filters and that they will correct things, it will not, the reason is that the filtration numbers you are given by Durts/ fuji/kodak ect only apply to a negative of a known density(that is why I tell you to get it right first without any filters).When you have got that negative of known density then you can do some tests to find out what numbers will relate to different ranges of contrast.To complicate matters further when filtration is used the exposure times alter.Get the basics right first.If you are serious the bible is a book called The negative by Ansal Adams.:cool:

If you are serious the bible is a book called The negative by Ansel Adams.:cool:

I agree with everything you have said apart from this.

Pick up a copy of Michael Langfords "The Darkroom Handbook" as it is a lot easier to understand than "the negative" and it covers all aspects of developing and printing.

There are a few copies on Amazon marketplace for sub £10

Back