Gannets - workflow example added

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for posting this workflow. Really appreciate it as I much prefer to see real-world examples. Sometimes the tutorials that I see, they seem to contradict each other.

The first SOOC shot is a diamond to start with, let's be honest. I'd be happy for my final image to look like that! :)

Interesting amount of detail that has been pulled from the blown whites. Also, an interesting way to sharpen. I like seeing different sharpening techniques as it can make a really big difference to the final image. I used to do all my initial adjustments in LR and then head over to PS to finish with the sharpening and use the High Pass filter.

I've recently started to use the Detail panel in LR, really just to save going in to PS, but I don't think it's as effective as the High Pass filter.

I'll have a play around with a couple of the techniques that you've kindly explained here. I really like the canvas size tip as, all too often, wing tips are too close to the edge for comfort!

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Wez

(No doubt I'll have more questions! ;) )

No problems Wez,

However, one point to note is although the whites were bright, they were never blown, once they are blown, they are gone for good, the only way I know would be to clone other parts of the shot in to cover them up, and thats a step too far for me personally. in my DPP4 converter, if you over the cursor over the image ten you will get a reading of numbers below the histogram, usually 3 sets of figures (R, G and B). if all 3 hit 255 then the whites are toasted, never to be seen again. LR does a similar thing but with percentages, so yo never want to get to 100%. In this example, the whites were around the 230 mark, so there was detail there, it just needs pulling out.

For the sharpening, everyone has their own way, and I don't think there is a definitive answer between high pass / smart sharpen / USM or whatever you use. It is, however VITAL that the sharpening is done after you re-size for your output, which is why I save a TIFF. I can then re-size, sharpen and save accordingly without ever changing my TIFF file.

Mike

Excellent images and descrition of post production Mike, I went to Bempton a couple of weeks ago and the weather was attrocious and never been as cold but a wonderful place to see the Gannets and the odd Puffin,I'll definately be back!, what settings did you use to capture these beautiful shots ies shutter speed, Iso ,aperture, was so dull and overcast when I went I only managed a handful in focus

Excellent images and descrition of post production Mike, I went to Bempton a couple of weeks ago and the weather was attrocious and never been as cold but a wonderful place to see the Gannets and the odd Puffin,I'll definately be back!, what settings did you use to capture these beautiful shots ies shutter speed, Iso ,aperture, was so dull and overcast when I went I only managed a handful in focus

Hi mate, thanks for stopping by. The light was superb on this day so I got lucky with the settings.

I use a 500mm on a canon 5d3. ISO was between 800 and 1600, mainly at the lower end. The background was a long way off so I was stopping down to about f8 as these are big birds and keeping the beak at least in focus was the aim. Shutter speeds varied but we're in the region of 1/2000th - 1/3200th.

Mike

I won't repeat ,Wez's first two lines mate,but wot he said applies.:D

The whole thread is fabulous Mike, the effort putting together the work flow tutorial really appreciated . ha ha the icing on a gannet cake after a good few fab images !!

Mike I'll come back to this I've only scammed it, am seriously clattered. I'm going to learn loads from the above : the canvas size adjust,is wicked

Brill Mike,Wez won't be the only one learning from this,

cheers from the rest of us too bro.:)

.stu

Just awesome work Mike and thanks for the workflow, I've learned a bit there. (y)

3 is epic!!

Back