Garden birds

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone over the last few weeks Ive been spending ages trying to get some shots of our garden birds.
I had a few days when everything seemed to work out and I am over the moon with these shots. :)
All taken with 350D and 70-200F4L
Some are slight crops for compo
I have already posted these on POTN before I discovered this site. I hope it is OK to put them on here too :D
C&C very welcome
Pete
IMG_3839longtailedtit.jpg

IMG_3757sbt.jpg

IMG_3475fgreattit.jpg

IMG_6021css.jpg

5789crops_filtered.jpg

IMG_5405cs_filtered.jpg

Robin-1.jpg

starlingbwgsf200at56iso1600autowb00.jpg

no
completely unacceptable
pictures of that quality are simply not allowed
(they make everyone els look so bad!)

well done you what a great set of pics! (y):clap:

Very nice set (y)
The robin colours looks pretty spot on as well ( some tend to get over satuarated I find)

A really lovely collection of some of our feathered friends posing for you Pete ... (y) ... you've even got a ringed LTT on show ... :D ... well done on achieving the quality and range you have and for the good composition in each one ... :clap:

Just one small observation though ... :shrug: ... as far as I can tell they are mostly a little soft around the eye ... :cautious: ... the second female House Sparrow is the notable difference as she appears to be spot on ... ;)

Other than that a very pleasing collection ... :D

:p

no
completely unacceptable
pictures of that quality are simply not allowed
(they make everyone els look so bad!)

well done you what a great set of pics! (y):clap:

:agree: :p :p :p

Stunning shots!

Off to practice more! :exit:

Thanks very much everyone:)
Thanks for the C&C Venomator it's really helpful as I'm learning as I go along!
I'm not sure if I just missed the focus on some of them as I was using F5.6 when 6.3 would have been better or if it was the birds moving and I needed a higher shutter speed most of them were speeds of 100 to 125 at F5.6.
I did use a tripod though.
I was always struggling for light as the little guys visit in the morning and its often quite overcast lately.
Still really pleased with them and it gives me an excuse to practice. Next I will try F6.3 - F8 to see if more DOF helps
Pete

Stunning birdies Pete, great colour and exposure on them all (y) :clap:

All gorgeous, (y)
Though I do agree with Ven, they could possibly stand a sharpen.

"A slight crop" you say?
Now I really am jealous!
Spent a while in the garden today and my results didnt come anywhere near yours!

Really excellent set, all very well framed if your suspicious comment 'slight cropped' is true!! :LOL:

Most seem sharp enough to me personally, just a couple where as you have identified you 'missed' - but crikey, they're just great.

Looking again, it appears that the bottom five are better in terms of sharpness than the top three. Maybe you changed settings?

Love 'em! :clap:

Hi,

these are excellent, very well done on getting them with the 70-200, I like the Sparrow, once such a common visitor up here but hardly get them now, it's amazing the colouration of them, much like the Starling in that the are far more colourful than everyone thinks.

:clap:

Mike.

Thats a lovely set LCpete you are using the same set up as me and I have been trying lately to get the same sort of shots but with my location its a real drama, hardly see these birds apart from real early morning and as you say the light isnt great...well done on a fantastic set keep it up.(y)

Thanks very much everyone :)
I really like the 70-200F4L its great really sharp and with this lens I struggle to see any differences between the 350D and 40D although the 40D is slightly better at higher ISO.
Its nice to have C&C too, I could not make up my mind if they were sharp or not.
They are only slightly cropped to take out a branch on the left or to improve composition
They are all on the same perch cos I had better luck clamping a perch near to the feeder and I wanted a nice clear background

Back