Garden Sparrow

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Having seen some of the recent images you guys are posting, I am not sure I should bother as this is nowhere near the same league.

However, I am here to learn so any criticism and observations are welcome, please be honest as I need and want to get better.

Sparrow by jshb, on Flickr

JSH_0223 by jshb, on Flickr

p.s the light was terrible so it is at ISO6400 hence the noise

Jason

Last edited:
The second one is good. The birds are a bit lost in the first one, unfortunately. But it's not an easy subject!!

Thats a fair point on the first one. Simple is best I suppose but I wanted to try and get some images that had remotely decent IQ.

Composition is far from perfect and I was hanging out of a doorway as I did not have my tripod with me so trying not to frighten them either.

To add to my difficulty, there was a Sparrow Hawk flying around as well which kept spooking them. Couldn't get an image of that thought :(

Jason

Nothing too much wrong with those shots, perhaps a tad more contrast needed. I agree the background in #1 is a bit fussy, but it is the bird's natural environment so acceptable in my view. It is nice to have cleaner shots like the second, and try and get them to face you as well, nb: never work with kids and animals they don't co-operate :D

Thanks Ken, good tips. I did try asking them to turn round but they were not listening to me.

Bloody Diva sparrows, think they know best

Jason

Last edited:
You seem to have got the focus and exposure ok on the first one, but compositionally its not right, you have already said that, but these chaps dont always play ball when you want them to :)

I hope you dont mind, but I had a quick play with the second one, basically its a good image, but I feel it needs just a little more PP work to finish it off, so I have added an edit here, the edit needs a bit more refining but I hope it gives an idea of what I think is needed. If you dont like it, please say so and I'll remove it, its no problem whatsoever.

Cheers Jason and welcome to TP (y)

Last edited:
That's much better Trevor. I am not sure about how to remove things I don't want in the images yet. I am using Aperture an I don't even know if I can do it all.

Will have to check but thanks a lot for that, really appreciate the feedback.

Jason

The first is too cluttered, the second is a much stronger image, especially with Trev's edit.

In both shots the main subject is crisp and in focus, and the exposure is good, so a bit more practice will see your results improving as you have the basics nailed (y)

Thanks Martyn,

Apart from composition my main problem is holding the camera still, especially at slower shutters.

Jason

What lens are you using?

For the noise there is always 'Noiseware' it is available as a free download if you are using windows LINK the bottom one on the list "Community Edition" ... just use it on default, will clean up your images a treat.

I am using a Nikon 70-300 VRII.

I am using a Mac and Aperture which can do some noise treatment so perhaps I will have a look at doing that as well.

Jason

I am using a Nikon 70-300 VRII.

I am using a Mac and Aperture which can do some noise treatment so perhaps I will have a look at doing that as well.

Jason

"Noiseware" is only free for PC users, the Mac version is only available as a plug in that you have to pay for, not sure if it will plug into Aperture, I bought "Elements" so I could plug it into that on my Mac.

Shutter speed you should be fine at 1/250, much slower than that and the subject moving becomes the problem.

I use a tripod and gimbal head, but I am wielding a 500mm f4 on my set up.

Mmmmmm 500 f4, dream lens. Gonna have to sell a kidney for that lol

Jason

Looking at your EXIF on the second picture Jason, you took this at 1/160, f/5.6, ISO 800, 300mm. For hand held you have done well to get sharp images.
As a rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be equal to the focal length you are using. So in this instance, with a focal length of 300mm, you need a shutter speed of 1/300 or more, especially with a crop camera. You can allow a stop or two for the image stabilisation but I tend to follow the above guide only. As Martin suggest, a tripod and a good head will make a big difference to your images.

I did the edit in Photoshop CS5, the same can be done in Elements. Sorry, but I am not conversant with aperture or Mac. Most imaging software will do this croping and cloning but unfortunately I am unable to help with aperture, I am sure many others on here will be able to though (y)

Last edited:
FYI, Cheffievrs is a very good friend of mine and he had a play with my second image and came up with this.

JSH_0223 - Version 2 by jshb, on Flickr

Interested in your thoughts.

Jason

Back