Garden spider - Araneus diadematus with prey

Nice shot Bryan

Great shot Bryan! Good clean shot of the victim being wrapped up too. It's very blue so i think it needs warming up a bit, and the focus looks to have just overshot the eyes ever so slightly. My only nit is the cropped leg at the top of frame and I think you have enough space in the lower part to be able to get it all in. I think it would work quite nicely with a 90degree clockwise rotation too.

Great shot Bryan! Good clean shot of the victim being wrapped up too. It's very blue so i think it needs warming up a bit, and the focus looks to have just overshot the eyes ever so slightly. My only nit is the cropped leg at the top of frame and I think you have enough space in the lower part to be able to get it all in. I think it would work quite nicely with a 90degree clockwise rotation too.

Thank you TimmyG

This is how it happened

I went out in the garden without my camera to see if any critters about, I look at this spider in its den each day and have never caught it outside of the den as it never seems to sit in the middle of the web like the other garden spiders around the shed.
Then this fly is crawling up the window reaches the web and out shoots the spider, after the oooooo I've never seen this before I realise I need to run in and grab camera, mount flash trigger to hot shoe and grab flash with 20cm softbox on it run back out and start snapping.
Believe me I was trying to keep the eyes in focus but the bloody thing doesn't stop to pose just keeps wrapping and legs going everywhere lol

So unfortunately I missed focus on a few and clipped the odd limb lol it was quite exciting you know ;)

Last edited:
A great scene and a brilliant capture. Quite something to have witnessed it and then managed to capture it too.

A great scene and a brilliant capture. Quite something to have witnessed it and then managed to capture it too.
Thank you RaphaelSamad

Great shots Bryan, especially the first one.
Thanks Neil

Probably should of set the WB rather than use AWB as it seems to be different for each shot. Really should try raw again but i'm so used to just shooting in jpg with the little fuji's

Back