Garden Visitor

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Had to post this on an other forums coz this one had been stolen :( , but its back now:) so here is the photo --

oops to big , back later ;)

Don't worry, seen it already on t'other place. ;) :D :razz:

I would say though, you might want to find somewhere to send this as it's an outstanding shot showing behaviour in birds we don't often get to see (like going to the bar to get the drinks in :exit: )

Wildlife and twitcher magazines would probably rip your arms off!

Gandhi said:
Don't worry, seen it already on t'other place. ;) :D :razz:

I would say though, you might want to find somewhere to send this as it's an outstanding shot showing behaviour in birds we don't often get to see (like going to the bar to get the drinks in :exit: )

Wildlife and twitcher magazines would probably rip your arms off!

Thanks , hadn't thought of that :eek: , will have to look into it .

Anyway have to post it here as well , its still making me pinch myself :geek:

hawk.jpg

Ps. These smilies are cool
PPs. was soo missing this place

Fantastic capture. Looks like a juvenile Sparrowhawk to me.

Could do with him around here - too many pigeons and doves ;)

Story behind the shot that I posted on A.N other forum :thinking:

I was sitting looking out the french windows building a Cuprinol fence sprayer (great toy btw) when the hawk/dove hit the patio in a mess of feathers . After a bit of start I got up and legged it to get the camera , when I got back it had gone so back to building the sprayer...

Finished the sprayer so went out onto the patio only to hear all the local birds making their alarm calls. Looked around expecting to see the neighbours cat only to find the Hawk eating at the side of the garden about 15m away, so back in for the camera....

Camera set to 1/320tv and ISO400 and I wriggled out the door on my belly and slid under the patio furniture . The hawk kept looking at me (I've heard they have good eyesight...) but didn't seem that bothered, so I got up and walked slowly towards it, edging to the right to get better light all the time snapping away.

Still it didn't move..

So I sat down & just watched it have lunch .

It was absolutely ******** brilliant

It looks a lot better in its 6M pixel glory , I've printed it out at A4 & it's keeping me very happy :nuts:

Excellent capture, and also a rare capture I bet:)

Well captured.

To me it looks like a female, the males tend to take smaller prey upto the size
of a blackbird.
Males usually have a rosey pink tone on their breast feathers and cheeks.

I caught one on video in my garden a couple of years ago, its a great
experience watching this happen.

(y)(y)

Tell that to a pigeon ;)

...."where's percy ?" ..."he's over there with that hawk"....."lucky percy"

You don't get those chances too often. A few years ago I heard an awful screeching from the back garden, looked out and saw a young Sparrow Hawk on the lawn with a vole, being mobbed by a load of magpies, who despite making a lot of noise, were keeping a respectable distance. :D

I sprinted for the camera grabbed it, swopped lenses and got back just in time to see him fly off. :crying:

Fantastic! What a great shot - albeit gruesome :puke: b:eek:ut then this is what they do and to capture a moment is rare - what an experience to have that land in your back yard eh! :clap:

Ooooh would have made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end if it kept looking at me while it was feasting! Wow! :eek::eek::eek:

nice capture (y)
lovely birds

fantastic shot . a shot anyone would love to have caught.. well done that man..

Excellent shot, definitely one to be proud of. Well done mate
Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Mike

Back