Garlic!

Edit My Images
No
Just playing around!! comments welcome.

garlic.jpg

Composition is spot on, though with the main bulb dominating the shot you initially think it's out of focus. Not until you look down to right do you realise it's a DOF thing, but then again at f/11 should it not all be in focus ? Blown highlights are too much against strong black background.

Could be a really good shot and it looks like it has the makings of a decent still life attempt. Hard to say much about the focus, DoF or composition as it appears over-exposed to me ... some very bright highlights Gary - was this intentional ?

Thanks for the input, the blown highlights are intentional but I do have a bit of a problem with my laptop screen, Everything actually print a bit darker than I see. Since my desktop blew up it has not been easy working on a laptop alone.

I don't make comments on photos now based on what I see on the laptop. Difference to my desktop screen is enormous.

Even at f/11 you won't get all of that in focus shooting from so close. At these distances, DoF will be in the order of 10-12mm...

I think if you had a couple of bulbs in the background and the frnt segments in pin sharp focus (which I don't think they are) then it would work a lot beter.

Like Dave said, the OOF back bulb seems to take precedence.

I voted for that shot ...thought it was excellent. You guys actually made me sneak 3 garlic bulbs in the shopping yesterday, to have a go. Missus thinks I have a problem with vampires ;)

great shot i think too, curious as to how a colour version would work, as the garlic bits inside have a nice purpleish colour to them.

Gary, the colour one is much better than the B&W one I think. It's a really nice shot now, the colour of the front segments really draws the eye.

:)

Back