Critique Garreg Ddu Reservoir: Elan Valley

I think the first and last work the best compositionally. The second doesn't do much for me, and the slight ripple in the reflection doesnt help the scene.
The reflection in the last shot is pretty sublime tho!

Last one is best compositionally. It does need a fair bit of shadow pulling, or ideally a touch of sunshine. I imagine this will give a crazy spectacle in autumn.

Reactions: ST4
Oh yeah last one for me to Steve then the first one ( for the light ) both have great composition and love the glass like reflection. I can never find reflections like this! Think someone follows me around with a fan. Nice shots(y)

I'd agree pretty much with the above comments - first for light and last for composition. I do like the third too - there's a cool clarity and higher contrast about it not present in number 4.

Last edited:
Yeah I like those - first and third for me.
Reflection in 3 is like a mirror - not a ripple in sight :)

Other than the "ink blot test" effect of cropping them 50/50, they're all very nice indeed Steve....especially the last one.

Other than the "ink blot test" effect of cropping them 50/50, they're all very nice indeed Steve....especially the last one.

Thanks Ruth, I am a sucker for the still reflections you get in the morning and evening, the feeling of calm and tranquility that they instill to me is priceless. Foreground wise, its a messy reservoir, so not got a pretty foreground to work with.

I cannot wait to get back here in the Autumn.

Thanks Ruth, I am a sucker for the still reflections you get in the morning and evening, the feeling of calm and tranquility that they instill to me is priceless. Foreground wise, its a messy reservoir, so not got a pretty foreground to work with.

I cannot wait to get back here in the Autumn.
Autumn is superb. Craig Goch at the top is fantastic when it's overflowing. I've been meaning to get there myself for the last couple of weeks but am waiting on the trees to be full of leaves again. I live roughly 1.5 hours away from the valley and every time I've been there over the past few months, the light has been crap (dull grey overcast skies).

James

I like the composition of #4 the best - shame the light was as kind as it was in #1

Spend many a day there in the summer and autumn and yes it's all absolutely stunning in the autumn colours. Nice to see some pics of them

I like the composition of #4 the best - shame the light was as kind as it was in #1

If only...I wish the light had been as good too, but there was some cloud cover, missing from 1 (hence the severe wide aspect ratio).

I will be back. As I have said in other threads, without the right conditions, you can only do so much. I am glad the compositions meet with peoples approval.

Love the reflections, went there myself a few weeks back the water was like a mill pond so still it was unbelievable, took us 3 hrs to get there but worth the trip.

Just had a look at your web/blog there breathtaking gorgeous colours

Good representation. I know the area well as my parents usedto live 10 mins away. I see you've gone for reflections rather than the usual images showing the dams, which as landscapes work well.

Good representation. I know the area well as my parents usedto live 10 mins away. I see you've gone for reflections rather than the usual images showing the dams, which as landscapes work well.

Around 9/10 of my landscapes will feature still water. It is just something I absolutely love. Its the calmness and stillness it instills. The dams are lovely, and if they were overflowing I might have gone for the shot, but still water rules. I cannot wait to get back.

Back