Beginner Gary Fong Diffusers

It works, though is not the miracle that the marketing would have you believe and is no better than any number of other accessories ranging from way less than £120 to zero cost DIY jobbies. All these things work in the same way, by directing light to the ceiling/walls so that they become the new and much larger and more attractive light source. Without a suitably benign environment, they do next to nothing. Try a simple bounce card first (google) by taking a small piece of white card/paper and attaching it to the back of the flash with a rubber band. With a white ceiling, just point the flash straight up, and the result will be indistinguishable from a Fong. Or get a Stofen-type diffuser cap (a few quid off Amazon/ebay).

FWIW, my favourite flash accessory along these lines is the Lumiquest QuikBounce that has some handy advantages, and the Rogue FlashBender is also quite a popular and versatile device.

I hate that lightsphere thing... probably just about the most misleadingly marketing thing out there. And because of that it's also probably one of the most misused things as well.

I like the flashbender types, but they are pretty easy to knock out of shape when things are rushed.

I have the light sphere and for me it works well but you have to know it's limitations. This the same for all your gear.
What do you want to use it for

Also, if it's off camera, why not just stick it on a stand with a brolly?

As for a snoot, just add a Pringles tube ;)

Also, if it's off camera, why not just stick it on a stand with a brolly?

As for a snoot, just add a Pringles tube ;)
This.^

No point in small modifiers once you've broken out the stands, you might as well do it properly.

Highly misleading 'test' :(

It's about as believable as a Donald Trump speech.

Economy of truth, masquerading as the full facts, is the worst kind of marketing. Fong has made a fortune at it.

Back