Gary Fong Lightsphere Diffuser.

Hoodi said:
NoooooOo!

Tried the lightsphere as direct flash?

Not yet. Didn't think it was meant for that. Its going to take time for me to not feel silly using it though. :D

My Lightsphere has just turned up, very impressed with delivery as I only ordered yesterday although donkey brain here ordered the wrong one, I meant to order the clear but bought the cloud version instead.:bonk:

First impressions are that it is not as big as I expected and it doesn't look too outrageous and the DVD is very informative. I've taken some test shots, this is not a scientific test but I just wanted to get an idea of how it performed. I've got the house to myself at the moment so I had no willing volunteers so I stuck my D70 on the tripod as a subject, the camera was about a foot from the wall and I was shooting from about three feet away.

All shot with a Nikon D200, 18-70mm lens, Nikon SB600 flash, Manual setting 1/125th @ f/4.5.

Direct flash:

Direct-flash.jpg

Direct flash with Stofen Onmi-bounce:

Directstofen.jpg

Bounced Stofen:

Bounced-stofen.jpg

Lightsphere:

Lightsphere-no-dome.jpg

Vertical Lightsphere:

Lightsphere-vertical.jpg

Considering how close I was I'm quite impressed with the results, I'll practice a bit more and I'm shooting some bands on Wednesday in the recording studio and then onto a gig so I'll be able to give it a proper test then.

Good innit! :) That's a pretty severe test with the subject so close to the wall and a close camera distance as well.

CT said:
That's a pretty severe test with the subject so close to the wall and a close camera distance as well.

That is really what I wanted to test, if it is giving good/adequate results at that range I'm lookong forward to seeing the results from a real world test.

Thought you were supposed to put yourself in front of the camera for portrait assessment though ;)

Back