Gavin and Stacey, funny or not?

I liked Miranda, she does that.

Patricia Hodge does naughty things to my undercarriage - or could if she asked nicely...

Can't stand the Office but quite liked RG in the 11 o'clock show (not as much as I liked Daisy Donovan, mind...)

Crappy and coarse American sitcoms and animations amuse me rather too much, especially Family Guy and American Dad, 2 1/2 men was great although I preferred the CS series to the AK ones.

Was never that sure about G&S, occasional gems but a lot of less funny bits.

I like the "liveness" of Mrs Brown's Boys.

Patricia Hodge does naughty things to my undercarriage - or could if she asked nicely...
After me (y)

I like the "liveness" of Mrs Brown's Boys.
I've seen a couple of so, but I have to be in the right mood to watch it.
I'm never quite sure if its un-scripted, or very cleverly scripted.

A bit of both, I think.

As for PH, no!!!

Bob Newhart...also brilliant.

Still Game, best sitcom this side of the Atlantic, and better than most on the other side too.

100% agree! I can, do and will watch Still Game over and over again.

Can't stand The Office, I just don't find Ricky Gervais funny...however, The Office US is one of the best shows around and another I'll watch over and over. I like Gavin and Stacey but it's not one I'll laugh out loud at.

I've never got the whole Mrs Browns Boys thing, it's just not all that.

Fawlty Towers is great though, and a shame they only made a couple of series of it!

I've never got around to watching G & S so I can't have much say about that, although I have watched 10 mins of Mrs Browns Boy before deciding it was just not at all for me.

My favourite comedy series in the past were The Goodies, Laurel & Hardy, The Young Ones, Bottom, Only Fools & Horses, Open All Hours, Naked Video (the birthplace of Rab C Nesbitt), Red Dwarf and I didn't mind The Office (UK version) and The Royale Family.

The more recent stuff I've grown fond of are The Big Bang Theory and Friday Night Dinner.

Loved Gavin and Stacey. But that’s my taste. Really glad that they are doing a Christmas special

Can't stand The Office, I just don't find Ricky Gervais funny
I'm glad I'm not the only one!
He is the least funny person I have ever seen. Boring into the bargain as well.

He's a bit of a prat but I do like the shows he puts out. I loved the Office [UK] - couldn't get on with the US version whatsoever. I liked Extras and Derek too

Come to think of it, I am very picky about US comedy in general, a lot of it is canned-laughter fodder. I'm more into the likes of Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Curb your enthusiasm

He's a bit like east enders, bad enough that people like that exist without putting them on TV.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I am very picky about US comedy in general
My lad got me watching The big bang, but after he left home I stopped watching it.
Although Sheldon does remind me of a couple of academics I have known ;)

He was brilliant in his day, whether or not he'd been seen as funny by a certain few these days remains to be seen though,

I think his sketches have probably dated, but what Dave Allen excelled at was story telling, and that's pretty timeless.

Love me some Dave Allen.

I was about 18 when his show was on TV on a Saturday night so I was out drinking, but my mum used to record them for me to watch the next day, so Dave Allen got me through a lot of hangovers in my teens, for which I'll be eternally grateful. :)

I’m afraid Mrs Browns Boys, Father Ted, Green Green Grass and most American sitcoms just leave me cold, I don’t see anything funny in them at all.
I could watch G&S, Royale Family, Early Doors, Only Fools, Ab Fab Car Share and even Dinner ladies all day. They are very clever and very funny.
Couldnt stand League of Gentlemen or Reeves & Mortimer, but Bob Mortimer on his own can be very funny.
It’s a good job we aren’t all alike

It’s a good job we aren’t all alike

Indeed

Never got into Gavin & Stacey myself. Big fan of Victoria Wood/Julie Walters so enjoyed Dinner Ladies. American sitcoms leave me cold as well these days but very much enjoyed Taxi back in the day. League of Gentlemen/Reeves & Mortimer not for me either nor Little Britain.

On the Ricky Gervais question, I'm not a fan although After Life is rather good.

Finally got around to watching Fleabag, only 2 episodes in but liking it so far.

Still Game, best sitcom this side of the Atlantic, and better than most on the other side too.

yes yes yes...the first 6 series the Christmas specials etc are true classics....every single episode brilliant,ive watched them hundreds of times and went to see the live shows ...series 7 and 8..im not sure about, good, just not great,but the very last episode was so emotional for me i cried, i really believed id lost some old friends

I realise that comedy is an incredibly personal thing, but surprised that nobody has yet mentioned my vote for the funniest comedy ever - Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister.

That was almost a documentary!

yes yes yes...the first 6 series the Christmas specials etc are true classics....every single episode brilliant,ive watched them hundreds of times and went to see the live shows ...series 7 and 8..im not sure about, good, just not great,but the very last episode was so emotional for me i cried, i really believed id lost some old friends
I know what you mean about S7/8 but they were still enjoyable. The missus and I were left stunned at the end of the last one, it came as a shock, didn't expect it to end like that very emotional.

Back