Gayle and Phil's Wedding - Plymouth

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so it's been a while since I've popped a wedding up, I thought I should make an effort and share some work. Not least because I want to be challenged and improve as I've been feeling very 'samey' for a while.

Please feel free to give me constructive CC.

gayle-and-phils-wedding-0011-h24a2371_std.jpg

gayle-and-phils-wedding-0086-h24a2526_std.jpg

gayle-and-phils-wedding-0441-h24a3226_std.jpg

gayle-and-phils-wedding-0468-h24a3260_std.jpg

gayle-and-phils-wedding-0528-h24a3358_std.jpg

gayle-and-phils-wedding-0547-1v3a2279_std.jpg

OK then ...

1 For The Shoe Shot, you need to see both shoes, and the composition needs to show some flair. Many male wedding snappers struggle with this shot, but it's hard to understand why when there are so many good examples all over the internets. Try a Google image search on "wedding photography shoes" for some inspiration. Also, beware the blokey temptation of combining the shoe shot with the dress shot or whatever. You need to be either very skilled or very lucky to make that work, and even then your customer will probably feel short-changed.

2 There was a cracking shot there but unfortunately this isn't it. She's got a great expression, the light's lovely and your timing's good, but there's way too much distraction in the background. When you're working in those circumstances, the easiest part to get right is to use a wide angle as wide open as you dare to blur the background. The difficult part to perfect is getting to the stage where where if the background's crap, you automatically frame the shot differently. And you know the background's crap because you instinctively check your backgrounds all the time. The good news is that that comes with experience. You'll get to know soon enough how the bride's going to react as she opens the card, and you'll be in the right place to get a cracking shot without a whole bunch of crap in the background to spoil it.

3 That's fine as far as it goes, but imagine it without the bouquet. See how much better it would look? If the bouquet's in the shot, the bride needs to be holding it (and if she's at a loss as to how to hold it where, try getting her to smell it and see how that looks). And really, it needs to be apparent that the girl has feet ...

4. If I wanted to be picky I'd say that there's just a bit too much wall or whatever on the right, but the vertical crop's just right so I don't see who you could improve it without changing the aspect ratio. AFAIC it's fine as it is.

5. I reckon that's a really nice try with the expressions well caught, but her doing the semaphore grates a bit with me. as does his partial right hand. I reckon that picture would have worked better if she kept looking at him exactly like that and just held her hands in front of her, but that still leaves the problem of his right hand, so TBH I'm struggling here. Very few grooms know what to do with their hands in their snaps and it's a real PITA at times.

6. And not a lot wrong with that one AFAIC. Having said that though, you can tell that you haven't been on the old BIPP wedding photography course. If you had, her left hand wouldn't look like a fist, because you'd have ensured that her wrist was "broken" as they call it, so it looked more "ladylike" and allowed at least some fingers to be seen. And I kid you not about that.

And that's it FWIW. Hope some of it helps a bit :)

Last edited:
Back