GCSE Photography Final Piece

Name
Sidney
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to critique my image. It was taken around Westminster in 2012. I wanted to try and capture some of the texture/decay witch really is a white elephant around some of our most treasured landmarks (Buckingham Palace, Palace of Westminster, Downing Street, Trafalguar Square, whitehall etc).

This was taken for my Photography GCSE with the them of Ordinary and/or Extraordinary. I am interested to hear what you guys think :)

Thanks again,

Sid.

Critque That!-2 by Sidney Draper Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sidney, are you a 16 year old taking GCSE's? You have a hell of an eye. Love your Flickr stream.

I agree with viv.

I did GCSE in 2010, and my images weren't as good as yours. Keep at it!

I never got the chance to do GCSE photography and now I'm at college I haven't had the chance to do it at A-level either.

You're far beyond the GCSE standard though, or at least I presume you are from your Flickr (y)

You're work is great for your age! Well done!

To critique your work, I would say it's good, but the snippets are a little small for my liking. But the indervidual photographs are great!

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Tom C, the piece that I submitted was printed out at a1 size, so images/thumbnails were fairly big. Agree that they are a tad too small on the Flickr site though.

Thanks guys,

For 16, you've got a decent eye for detail & I like your processing on some of the images. Good luck and I hope you get further in a career with it.
I'm on the other side now, I've just finished up my cycle sports photography business, but it was good fun & enjoyable whilst I was doing it.

Thanks Sarah, just out of nosiness, why did you finish and 'close up shop'?

Cheers guys,

Time was one factor, I was getting fed up of spending every weekend sitting at the side of a dual carriageway instead of getting out & about with hubby. The other factor is that, everyone is a photographer, there are so many people out their on the road now, taking shots of their mates, not good quality etc, but free. Most people are happy with just a record shot of themselves that they've got for nothing, rather than buying a pro shot. Love seeing themselves and showing family/friends their shot on your website, but not buying. Some weekends I would be at the side of the road or driving most of the day, Sunday would be spent processing & I'd not cover my petrol. It was ok at the start and I've made enough to buy the kit I wanted, but it was time to finish.
I still go out to a few races now, but can shoot what I like for fun.

Last edited:
Ah, that's a shame. I think that the fact that everyone carries a camera will eventually turn into a positive, because people will start seeking more than just a 'snapshot' and appreciate a proper set of images more, and demand will rise. I think there's a little way to go before that time though.

I wish you luck in whatever you're doing now!

Thanks guys,

I'm not sure that more people will start seeking more than just a snapshot, you only have to look at facebook :) I remember one of my family's favourite shot of their daughter at her wedding was a snapshot from a friend that had been cropped to just her face & I couldn't even tell it was her really, looked like a grainy photofit, but they all thought it was superb, whereas the pro shots from the day were just considered ones that you have in an album.

But I am enjoying more landscape and still life work now, which I enjoy, plus the 365, which I haven't taken yet as I have been building a bit of a model for it.

That is an amazing collage you have put together there Sidney and at your age you have a great eye for a shot :clap: Love the last shot you have posted in your flickr of the lady in the fur hood - stunning .... Great job :clap:

I've seen far worse shots in international publications. Top work, impressive more so because of your age, but those images would stand you in good stead in any age group. Your shot of 'Frankie' is actually close to being by far your strongest, unfortunately the focus is out. Had those eyes been sharp, that would have been a fantastic portrait even with that crop. Love the idea of the montage, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

Graham, thanks for your feedback on my shot of Frankie. Since that image has been published to flickr, I have (with the help of Scott Kelby's portrait retouching Book), edited it quite a bit. This new image is now in a thread I have started caled "little boy". Please go to that thread and give my some feedback, I would be gla to hear it.

In terms of the focus, I think that is due to the 500px flickr file size, inside Lightroom, the image looks sharp. I think I may re-upload all of my images to a 800px size, as I seem to be getting a lot of focus feedback.

Thank your very much for responding,

Back