Gear checklist help!?

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I'm closely approaching my holiday in June. And I've just been told by the airline that me and my Girlfriend have been upgraded on our flight out due to a cock up on their behalf.
When reading the T&C's it shows my hand luggage has been upgraded from 6KG to 10KG, Which is less of a panic for me as my planned gear to take was initially around 5.5KG. And this wasn't taking into account accessories.
But that did get me thinking I should at least prepare a checklist for my photography gear so I can purchase gear I don't own. I have the compliment of lenses I think I'll need, I don't want to add any more to the mix either.
The main gear I'll be taking is:
-Fstop Guru and Medium shallow ICU
-Canon 5D3
-Canon 24-70 F4
-Canon 50 F1.4
-Canon 70-200 F4 (Though I'm still in the mix about taking this,but I think it'll be good for portraits.)
-Metz 48 AF flash
-Google Nexus 7

Accessories are a bit hit and miss. What I have is:
-Intervalometer/remote shutter cable
-CPL's for both zooms
-Cleaning kit
-wireless flash trigger
-100mm Filter holder
-100mm ND2,4,8 filters (were a gift from a friend who didn't want them)
-Old Velborn Tripod(I am aware that I should always take the best tripod, but its light and has done me well so far)

I plan on buying:
-Insurance!! It'll be bought at the end of the month when I take delivery of my new camera :)
-Kood Pro ND Soft and Hard Grads 0.6 (I have used these in the past and I can't fault them)
-10 Stop Filter(Most likely a Hitech)
-16gb CF card (I should get a new one as part of the deal with the 5D3, But it's on the list just incase)
-2 Large capacity USB Flash drives
-Rain cover for the bag (Just in case)
-Possible sunset filter, Ive seen a few photos using these and I like the effect they offer. It's mainly to play about with which is why it would be the last thing I purchase.

I think that this is all, But I would like to know if anyone has anything they would add to the list? Even if its non photographic related. I'm primarily off to Cuba as Holiday and to relax with a Cigar in one hand,and a Mojito in the other. I have allowed 2 days to go out exploring and I have had a small discussion via email with the Rep in the Hotel who has suggested a few places to go. My GF knows I Love to take photos, so convincing her another day trip now and then won't be too difficult. I like to focus on Landscapes when at home, So I feel I'll most likely do this and Urban/rural landscapes when out. But I want to push the envelope and photograph the people of Cuba, So gaining confidence in portraits is going to be something I plan to overcome.

Anyhow,Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Don't bother with the hitech 10 stopper! Buy the lee one it's better by far

The Lee option is out of my price range. The Hitech has gotten good reviews that I'm happy with.

I've got the hitech one! I really wouldn't bother.... I use my mates lee one if I'm ever out with him

I'm closely approaching my holiday in June. And I've just been told by the airline that me and my Girlfriend have been upgraded on our flight out due to a cock up on their behalf.
When reading the T&C's it shows my hand luggage has been upgraded from 6KG to 10KG, Which is less of a panic for me as my planned gear to take was initially around 5.5KG. And this wasn't taking into account accessories.
Double-check the allowance for the return flight..

If you're flying out with your girlfriend and plan on maintaining that relationship long enough to fly back with her, seriously consider travelling light and prioritising enjoying the holiday together without the photography coming between you ;)

Nah!!!!!

Try Lightcraft 10 stopper its about £70 I think these days, its a superb piece of kit!

I'm looking at 100mm filters so I can use Grads if need be as well as a CPL. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I was going for a Screw on filter though, I'd probably go back to Hadia, I had one of them until I switched lens.

I've got the hitech one! I really wouldn't bother.... I use my mates lee one if I'm ever out with him

Thank's for your input. But I've done my research and I'll be happy with the Hitech. I've used recently and it provides me with what I need it to do, Which is ultimately stop a lot of light. I'm aware of the Blue cast it has, and with in camera white balance adjustment and Post production It'll be fine.

Double-check the allowance for the return flight..

If you're flying out with your girlfriend and plan on maintaining that relationship long enough to fly back with her, seriously consider travelling light and prioritising enjoying the holiday together without the photography coming between you ;)

The Allowance back is the same as going, And I plan to do alot of relaxing by the pool/beach Bar! We've already planned to do a few excursions which includes a couple of trips to Holguin. So all in I think its 6 days of trips, the remaining 8 is Pool time!

All of that will go easily and you could add some food on top. You'd be unlucky to even have it weighed if you don't make it "appear heavy" by keeping / dragging it on the floor.

Ps. 6KG is an utter nonsense. They can stick it up their intestines.

Don't see spare batteries/charger on there, including any adapter necessary?

Finally, are you sure you really need to take all this kit and certain that you will use all of it?

I thought I added battery and charger to the list. I have travel adapter's also.

The amount I'm taking does seem stupid, but I've always went on a "rather have and not use" policy. The only thing I'm the kit I am considering leaving is the 70-200. It's not used that much at all currently.

I'm used to carrying around a bag weighing upwards of 15kg when out walking on weekends. So I think having a bag half that will be fine walk with on the days I'm out and about.

Back