Gear out on the Water. Marine Togs...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Now i did a search and came up with a thread looking at keeping gear dry on land... but this question is quite specific...

I spent the weekend out on a RIB covering a sailing event as rescue cover. I took my point and shoot with me to get some pictures of the action, and found it really hard to keep things dry...

I got some reasonable shots (see thread) but was very very wary of using the gear on the water.

I would love to take my SLR out and get some proper shots but am concerned about how to keep the kit dry whilst in use and when im driving the boat around. I would have thought that a "Storm Jacket" might do the job for when im using it, but when i put the gear down to move what could i use?

There are loads of Tog boats out on the solent weekly, but haven't managed to get close enough to see where they keep their kit on the move.

I don't really want to go down the route of a complete enclosure for the camera because as i understand it, they will limit the size of lens i can use, and cost over a grand!! (bit to much for casual use lol)

So marine togs, how do you do it? :thinking:

Peli cases are water proof if I remember correctly.. easy enough to chuck in your setup (provided you're not hauling a 400mm!) and lock it in a few seconds :) Then, as you say, Storm Jacket or similar on it for protection whilst it's in use!

As Phil has said a peli case will keep all your kit dry if you take everything with you, but if your on a rescue rib there is no room at the best of times. Last time out on a rib for me was a couple of years ago now, 1d mkII and a 300 2.8 hand held all wrapped up in it's aquatech rain cover, no problems apart from hanging on when airbourne! Force 4 to 5 and rain off Portsmouth harbour, very choppy with loads of spray. Just keep the front element pointing down when not in use and with a lens cloth keep it as clean as you can.
If your driving then either round your neck (depending on lens) or a locker, with maybe some foam to help protect it from bashing around.
Shaun

i think a peli case would be the way to go. i will do a bit of research into getting foam cut to size, so that i can drop the camera and lens straight in. Boggy, your right it is quite tight in terms of room.

Off to get a storm jacket now, and look into pelicases.

thanks all.

Forget about the foam. It's a nightmare. You can't change it once cut and it deteriorates badly over time. Get yourself the dividers instead

My setup, which does about 30 sailing events a year, all from RIBS, is:

-Primary Camera covered in a rain jacket, attached to self.
-Soft camera bag/case that fits camera in with rain cover, lens and hood in place either attached to me, or the back rest of a pod seat in the boat (ideally the back of the seat in front of mine, if that makes sense)
-spare kit (lenses, cards, filters, 2nd body) in a peli case in the bottom of the boat. Each item wrapped in a plastic bag so that when you open the case spray doesn't get on your kit.

The camera I'm shooting with drops quickly in the soft bag if i need to do something like drive, talk on the radio, etc and also when the boat is at speed to protect the front element from spray. That is all that is in that bag, it's just a quick drop-in case for the camera I'm shooting with.

Unless you are in the worlds smallest safety boat there should always be room to throw a peli case in. I've got a 1450 and a 1550. I tend to put them in the stern on the deck, but in front of the console is another option. I have the foam in one of mine, but the dividers are much better as they don't wear out, or absorb salt water and turn into sandpaper.

Things to keep in mind:
1)Treat opening your peli case as a crew effort in rough weather, tell the coxswain, get him to put the boat head to wind and ideally then work at the stern, or bow down and work in the bow.

2)If your peli is in the stern, make sure its tied in - they float and can float out over the transom when the deck is awash in boats like SeaRiders that have low freeboard.

3) If you are going to attach a couple of kilos of camera gear to you neck you MUST be wearing a 150N gas lifejacket minimum. If you leave the boat at 30 knts you have a much higher chance than normal of hitting something hard (your camera) with you head on the way out and being unconscious in the water. You are also going to have a big weight trying to sink your head! You need a lifejacket that will roll you, complete with camera, face up. A buoyancy aid is no good!

Last edited:
Back