Gekkopod, anyone tried one?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
As the title says has anyone tried one? I'm considering one for hols instead of my gorrilapod to hold my Olympus EM1 with 12-40mm f2.8 as it looks a lot smaller and lighter to carry about. The video shows that it can hold 1.5kg but I"m wondering just how secure it actually is, especially if you have it wrapped around a pole/beam or something at and angle and so the weight of the camera is not taken by the legs per se but just that part with the ballhead. I'm wondering if it will just droop? I can't find any videos/reviews showing anything larger than a compact camera.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5I6SLwF6TM

I wouldn't chance it, looks like 1.5 max, dead central. If it did hold that weight while wrapped to a fixture, you can bet they would have it in that awful advert :ROFLMAO:

I've tried all kinds of pods, bean bags and mini tripods and none of them ever held what they claimed steady. There was always that 'droop' if you pushed them to the limit.

I wouldn't chance it, looks like 1.5 max, dead central. If it did hold that weight while wrapped to a fixture, you can bet they would have it in that awful advert :ROFLMAO:

I've tried all kinds of pods, bean bags and mini tripods and none of them ever held what they claimed steady. There was always that 'droop' if you pushed them to the limit.
Yeah, looking into it more it doesn't look that great tbh. I'll stick with my gorrilapod for now (y)

I use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...qid=1507104681&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+pixi nowadays. It's very neat and very well made/sturdy. It's not as flexible [the ball head is limited, you can't aim straight up or down] , but it'll hold what you need without fuss. It says 1kg load, but I've had heavier on it [attached to a tripod collar]
That was the other choice when I went for the gorillapod. I chose the gorillapad for the flexibility (excuse the pun ;)). When away I can't always guarantee that I will have a flat surface and may want to wrap it around railings etc.

I've got a small Manfrotto ball head atop my Gorillapod SLR Zoom. Mainly to give all my supports the same QR system but also to speed up the levelling process.

I've got a small Manfrotto ball head atop my Gorillapod SLR Zoom. Mainly to give all my supports the same QR system but also to speed up the levelling process.
I have the hybrid which comes with a ballhead :)

Looks like a good idea but it isn't clear whether it's just another 'wrap-around' unit or whether there is the Gecko-like stick-ability to the legs.

Back