Gemma in the studio

Name
Tony Smyth
Edit My Images
Yes
First 'formal' studio session last night. Trying to get used to lighting etc.

The intention for most of the shots was low key, I'm not a fan of high key stuff in general.

C+C welcome.

DSC_9795.jpg

DSC_9736.jpg

DSC_9811.jpg

DSC_9726.jpg

A good try but I think these shots would have been much better on location somewhere with a good brick wall background of something. The shots dont have impact because they are in s studio and you can see the background in most. This wouldn't have mattered as much if you werent using the clothes and props you were, for example can you image #5 taken at a good location. I don't like the idea of hoddy over the gas mask either. Number 7 is my fave if I had to pick one. Can I ask what you were trying to achieve?

EDIT: I actually quite like the idea of the gas mask one because it could be what a person would look like if we went to war now.

Last edited:
Stunning shot in no7! Really like the lighting.
Can see where Lukewoodford is coming from - but also think the flipside applies - in a studio it gives it an unnatural and unnerving feel. Particularly the gas mask shots.

I love the lighting in 6 but the expression unsettles it a little I think.

Thanks guys, I agree on location would be better for some of my ideas, this shoot was really just to get in the studio, spend some time there and see what I could come up with.

If that was the aim then cool, I think you need to get more light to the subjects eyes. I like the lighting in the flag one though.

Turn the shot up-side-down - that should fix the flag :banana:

Like most of them.
No1 I'd brighten up the eye.
No2 - works a treat - love it !
No3 Real sexy shot.
No4 OK.
Nos5 & 6 Like them.
No 7 Not too sure.
Finally, as said, could work better with subtle brightening.

i think the tartan bow ruins 1, its not childish enough, to work with the teddy bear gas mask combo, I realy like 2.

3 the shot is not gritty enough to have something added to it by the "stars and bars" which is an overtly raciest symbol and needs to be treated with care. I don't think people in the UK realize exactly how that flag is has been used throughout American history. To this day it is used by racist groups (KKK, Aryan Nations, and the Minute Men to name a few) to intimidate immigrants and minorities. It is basically a Celtic cross, or a swastika.

4 would have worked better with more of the gun in the frame, 5 is fine (not great not bad) 6 i like, the bow works wonders, 7 is moody but not flattering.

3 the shot is not gritty enough to have something added to it by the "stars and bars" which is an overtly raciest symbol and needs to be treated with care. I don't think people in the UK realize exactly how that flag is has been used throughout American history. To this day it is used by racist groups (KKK, Aryan Nations, and the Minute Men to name a few) to intimidate immigrants and minorities. It is basically a Celtic cross, or a swastika.

+1 - I should have mentioned this when I stated it was upside down. And having said that - it could be the right way up if it were on a naval vessel, at sea in the late 1800's :LOL:

However, the Confederate Battle Flag (fully square version) is still part of the Mississipi state flag, and appears on numerous license plates, in a number of states.

The prop in use is not old enough to make it a historical shot, so it could be taken the wrong way.

whered you pick the M4 up form? or am i not the only airsoft freek on here :p

pics are great, have to say numbers 1 and 3 work best for me

pot

+1 - I should have mentioned this when I stated it was upside down. And having said that - it could be the right way up if it were on a naval vessel, at sea in the late 1800's :LOL:

However, the Confederate Battle Flag (fully square version) is still part of the Mississipi state flag, and appears on numerous license plates, in a number of states.

The prop in use is not old enough to make it a historical shot, so it could be taken the wrong way.

i don't think the OP is racist, just unaware of the true meaning of that flag, as are allot of people. EDIT: This however does not make it ok to use it as a "edgy" prop, would you have used a celtic cross in that shoot?

I'm not a political man, but the fact that the "stars and bars" is still used by the state of Mississippi and a few others, and sold as a "novelty item" really angers me.

Last edited:
No racist intentions meant at all, my knowledge of the flag was limtied to "Wasn't that a confederate flag from pre-civil war..."

The M4 is a G+P so you're not alone with the 'softing ;)

Thanks for all the input, helps greatly when I will get back in the studio again.

Back