Beginner General advice

Hi Ben, welcome to TP. :welcome:
The problem you were having was because you were inserting Flickr page shortcuts into the image tags, and the web page isn't just the image.
There's a forum help thread here, which details how to go about inserting images from Flickr. If you have any more problems, you can ask questions there.

I don't like the sepia conversion to the first image. Personal taste I guess. The last image is a style that I love. Of that selection, your general approach shows lots of promise. To be honest Ben, lots of stuff that people create with DSLRs is far less attractive and interesting.

As for where and how your photography might grow. I don't feel qualified to answer, but I'll give one tip. Look at other people's photography. Look a lot. Not just on Flickr (although there are some cracking photographers there), but look at books as well, look at the classics, discover the history of photography. Decide on a style and genre that suits you, set yourself projects.

Tbh I do feel the same way about the sepia, I was messing around with some filters and just settled for that one.
Thank you for the advice though :) been watching a lot of videos and looking on Google and Flickr. Wish I could take pictures like the last one all the time lol.
Do you/or anyone know of any good free editing software? I'm just using what's on Flickr atm and I want to mess around with focus blur.

Tbh I do feel the same way about the sepia, I was messing around with some filters and just settled for that one.
Thank you for the advice though :) been watching a lot of videos and looking on Google and Flickr. Wish I could take pictures like the last one all the time lol.
Do you/or anyone know of any good free editing software? I'm just using what's on Flickr atm and I want to mess around with focus blur.
Hi Ben this is good and free at the moment.
http://www.on1.com/products/effects9free/

Cheers mate:). Only just starting really, just keeping with it to see if I can justify a dlsr at some point :)

Good stuff (y)

would like to see the horse's ears and the lady's feet tho ...

Good stuff (y)

would like to see the horse's ears and the lady's feet tho ...
do you know i actually cropped off her feet and i cant remember why now...might have to go back and take another look at that pic. for the horse the bugger kept moving so i just tried to get the sharpest picture i could lol. cheers for the reply :)

Back