General Walkabout lens

I'm waiting on a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro HSM for exactly that purpos... Ordered on amazon on friday and its still not blinking here grrrrgh

if budget allows, Canon 24-105 F4 L IS is a near perfect walkabout lens

not on a crop body it isn't!

Back to the OP, if you are happy with a compromise lens and want a one lens holiday solution I'd recomend on of the 18-200 lenses that are all the rage at the minute sigmas OS offering at that length gets reasonable reviews. I think you'll find the extra length very usefull. If you are happy to loose the extra then i'd echo the recomendation of the sigma 17-70 which is stunning and pair it with a cheap 70-300 or similar.

Thanks for replys so far.

I already have a Sigma 70-300 for motorsport use and the 18-55 kit lens. Basically looking for something to close the gap for a 'single lens solution' for holidays etc as I cant be bothered with changing lenses so often.

Basically looking for something to close the gap for a 'single lens solution' for holidays etc as I cant be bothered with changing lenses so often.

The 18-200mm as mentioned above, is a good lens and gets good reviews as a "super" zoom lens, but it's a fairly expensive (and quite heavy) option to not change your lens !

There is always the 55-250IS lens, which is lighter, cheaper, but you loose the wider range.

Decisions, decisions :shrug:

Hmm I've looked at the 55-250 IS as that was my original intention as my first lens upgrade, but got offered the SIgma from my mate for a very reasonable price.

If I got the 55-250 IS I'd probably not use the Sigma anymore.

Hmm I've looked at the 55-250 IS as that was my original intention as my first lens upgrade, but got offered the SIgma from my mate for a very reasonable price.

If I got the 55-250 IS I'd probably not use the Sigma anymore.

Which you could possibly then sell on :shrug:

The Canon 28-135 IS lens is a cracker and worth a look at, I've got one and am very pleased with it. See the link below for some photos taken with it (on my old 300D), my daughter used it @ Oulton Park last bank holiday Monday (first time panning etc) and got some very good photos (in my opinion anyway, but I might be slightly biased :LOL:)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=137541

I've had a Sigma 17-70 for a couple of years which I bought as a 'holiday' lens to take to Italy and haven't regretted it. Performance is good and even close up although not a patch on my 105 macro it's pretty good as a one lens for all choice. A very good review in AP by Mr Crawley added to the 'right choice' feeling.

Im thinking along the same lines, got a Canon 18-55 EFS IS and a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, but got my eye on a Canon 55-250 IS for around £200

with money: 24-105mm IS
with little money: 28-135mm IS
with a lot of money a muscles to carry it :D : 28-300mm IS

with money: 24-105mm IS
with little money: 28-135mm IS
with a lot of money a muscles to carry it :D : 28-300mm IS
No, no, no.

Not on a 400D. 24/28mm isn't wide enough for most people's tastes on a walkround lens. Something that starts at 17/18mm is usually for more suitable. Personally I'd go for the Sigma 18-200mm OS as an all-in one-solution (I have the older non-OS one, but the OS version is much better), but there are plenty of other good suggestions above.

Back