Generic Wedding Related Rants!!!!

Betty

BrideZilla!!!
Edit My Images
No
This is not another wedding/pro/amateur debate, but feel free to let off some steam if something wedding photography related has hacked you off lately.

Here’s mine…

I have been invited to my mums friends wedding as a guest in July. My mum wants to pay me to take a few shots and make an album up as her present to them, no problem says me. The bride says she doesn’t mind me taking a few discreetly, as her brother is shooting the wedding. He isn't a pro, but he, and I quote, “Has a nice camera”, and doesn’t want to offend him. *screams*

FFS, I cant very well be discreet with a sodding 30D strapped to my wrist. You either want me to take some shots or not. My dads wedding photos were chaos for this very reason, eyes looking in different directions in every shot. I couldnt take the photos and be in them too, the same goes for this wedding.

After I calmed down, I realised that, even if I don’t take any images of the day, I am worried they will come to me afterwards and ask me to process her brothers shots because they wont be up to scratch. My mum also said the brides brother will no doubt be leglessly drunk come 7pm, so I would probably end up taking over then anyway.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand breathe.

See? Was nothing uber, but just annoyed me earlier.

yep im gonna rant for a TP wedding thread that all wedding related chat can be done on we have one for birds nudes landscape etc but not for wedding which seems to pop up on here as often as "understanding exposure", moon shots, and the inevitable canon/nikon debate

Dave(y)

Simple answer, don't take your camera and get drunk before he does :LOL:

Tough one this, as they are basically asking you to take the shots, but in a compromised manor, which may well hamper the overall results - I am not sure I would want photos of my work being passed round, when it could affect your reputation - Suppose it could boost your reputation if they turn out fine, so like I said tough one!!!!

The drunk option is sounding the way to go!!!!!

No other answer required..............:LOL:

I feel your pain Betty and would suggest that pxl8 has the solution (y)

edit "snap" Ade :D

Just say no! (y)

My rant...
Now bear in mind my photo galleries are filled with landscapes, creatures and motors

People I know who look at my photos, say something like 'Wow, that landscape is stunning, you are good with a camera - you'll photography my wedding won't you'

NO, I BLOODY WILL NOT PHOTOGRAPH YOUR WEDDING!
Why not?
The clue is in what stuff I DO photograph - you'll never hear them answering back...

As you can probably gather the question has now been asked enough times to be irritating.

My latest wedding related rant is brides who have learned the word "reportage", use it at avery available opportunity, positively demand that that is the coverage they want, "None of that formal stuffy stuff" and then complain when that's exactly what they get. "But I wanted more formal shots than the 17 I demanded.."

What do you think I am love, a bleeding mind reader. I asked you three times exactly what you wanted and yes I know you would have loved more bride and groom shots but you would not go outside in case you ruined your shoes, and refused to give me any more than 10 minutes with you. Would you like me to photoshop you on top of the Empire State Building, that's a bit of a fab location, except you'd never make the effort to go outside for long enough and it's not even raining.

Deep breath :)

Who said this wedding togging was easy money again?

Still smiling :)

Mind you getting drunk does sound rather tempting at times.

In your shoes Betty I'd say no, enjoy the wedding. That way you won't be putting his nose out of joint. :)

Its a slight aside but years ago I did a wedding and found out that the bridesmaid was getting married the following year and that freind who works for The Sun was taking her shots,he was a bloody sports photographer so god knows how they turned out

Some friends of ours invited us to their sons christening, between the invitation and the christening my wife broke her ankle, the morning of the christening she was in a lot of pain so we didn't go, I rang but they'd already left so I left a message.

he rang back the next day disappointed that we hadn't come because we'd missed their surprise wedding (which surprised everybody including both sets of parents) and he was relying on me to bring my camera:eek:

Thanks god her foot was killing her

You wont be the only person at the wedding with a camera (excluding the "Photographer"). I bet loads of guest turn up with ones as well. including a few Canon and Nikon DSLR's ..

Keep your mum happy and take photo's of her with the couple and any friends that happen to be around. maybe a few candids of the Bride, Groom and Bridesmaids, maybe as well as the Parents. Keep it all informal. Do the photography around the ceremony, before any serious quantities of alcohol have been consumed. Then put the camera away and enjoy the party. It's not your responsibility to take the wedding pics. If the "Photographer" gets drunk, then as the saying goes "ain't your problem".

Also wait until the "official" prints have been produced before you show yours. It'll be to late then to do much about them. Who knows they may be fine

Leave the camera at home, and say "I was invited here as a guest, I'm here to enjoy the couples big day"

Some friends of ours invited us to their sons christening, between the invitation and the christening my wife broke her ankle, the morning of the christening she was in a lot of pain so we didn't go, I rang but they'd already left so I left a message.

he rang back the next day disappointed that we hadn't come because we'd missed their surprise wedding (which surprised everybody including both sets of parents) and he was relying on me to bring my camera:eek:

Thanks god her foot was killing her

That is just sooo wrong!

Dee - why not speak to your Mum and consider offering a portrait shot of the pair of them after their wedding - as a wedding present. That way you'd please your Mum (most important), you'd please the B&G, and you can sit back and enjoy the wedding yourself. You could even enjoy watching the bro with the 'oh so nice' camera screw things up... :)

Win win to me.

I quite often take my photos in to work to bore my friends & colleagues with. There isn't a wedding shot among them, lots of wildlife, aviation, motorsport, family.

I've had 3 requests to do weddings in the last 6 months. Doh!

I wouldn't bother, if you can't be the dedicated photographer then your photos may suffer and potentially your reputation if guests end up seeing them. I'd go for the drunk option!

yep im gonna rant for a TP wedding thread that all wedding related chat can be done on we have one for birds nudes landscape etc but not for wedding which seems to pop up on here as often as "understanding exposure", moon shots, and the inevitable canon/nikon debate

Dave(y)

Well birds, nudes and landscapes are for image sharing, no images in this thread. So should we have separate forums for understanding exposure, moon shots and canon v nikon then? ;)

I'd quite like a wedding area as it does seem to be a major sector of photographers. :)

Well at least it would contain all the arguements to one place if we had a weddings/HDR forum :)

Dee - why not speak to your Mum and consider offering a portrait shot of the pair of them after their wedding - as a wedding present. That way you'd please your Mum (most important), you'd please the B&G, and you can sit back and enjoy the wedding yourself. You could even enjoy watching the bro with the 'oh so nice' camera screw things up... :)

Win win to me.

John speaks much sense, as usual really I suppose.

Sounds like one best kept out of really. I still get the odd friend that will invite me to their wedding and then ask if i'll shoot it too. I've got tired or explaining that I DONT DO WEDDINGS, so I've taken to pointing them at the most expensively priced snapper I like the look of with a message saying, "try this guy/gal, they look good and cheaper than I'd be too.

Never heard a peep from one after that. :D

That is just sooo wrong!

The brides mother didn't speak to her for a month, personally I think it was a really selfish thing to do, when a mother sees her daughter being married it should be an event that's planned together.

This was announced by the vicar with the words and that concludes the christening would everyone please stay seated for the wedding of XXX and XXX

My mum also said the brides brother will no doubt be leglessly drunk come 7pm, so I would probably end up taking over then anyway.

Well that one is easy, just make sure you're more smashed than he is and nobody will bother you.

Its a slight aside but years ago I did a wedding and found out that the bridesmaid was getting married the following year and that freind who works for The Sun was taking her shots,he was a bloody sports photographer so god knows how they turned out

He probably only shot when the bride had the ball at her feet, the groom was being tackled or the brides mother had gone down with a cruciate injury :LOL:

step away from the camera and get possed first

I'd quite like a wedding area as it does seem to be a major sector of photographers. :)

I have no interest in weddings, or wedding photography, but I do enjoy reading about the photgraphy of weddings on here, I honestly never appreciated how much work and effort, not to mention skill and technique goes into it.

Just because it is of no interest to me, doesn't mean I don't find it interesting (it sounded right in my head)

y not step up to the plate and do it. you know he will be smashed, so nothing after that. and might get you a few recomends off it as well!! let the brother organise all the formals etc and get the shots you want. keep out of his way and leave him to it. sort all the photos and who knows, the bride and groom might end up coming to you for a big wedding album or summat. cant lose really.

The brides mother didn't speak to her for a month, personally I think it was a really selfish thing to do, when a mother sees her daughter being married it should be an event that's planned together.

This was announced by the vicar with the words and that concludes the christening would everyone please stay seated for the wedding of XXX and XXX
While I think it was quite possibly the worse way of going about it, I disagree with you when you say the event should be planned together. Some people really don't want a big fuss about a wedding - and the moment you involve the mother there is a big fuss about the wedding!

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone! Good thinking on the portrait sitting John, Ill put that forward to her :)

I am still taking my camera, as I want some nice ones of my mum at least, but looks like I am getting smashed too :D

The bride says she doesn’t mind me taking a few discreetly, as her brother is shooting the wedding. He isn't a pro, but he, and I quote, “Has a nice camera”, and doesn’t want to offend him. *screams*

Just do it Betty, he's not a pro and isn't being paid (and what the hell is a "nice camera"?). Is he going to get the arse when all the other cameras and camera phones get whipped out.

My latest gripe, B&G wait 7 months to decide which images they want for their album and let me know their final selection on Friday. Today's communication? "Where's our album and how much longer will it be?"

FFS! :bang:

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone! Good thinking on the portrait sitting John, Ill put that forward to her :)

I am still taking my camera, as I want some nice ones of my mum at least, but looks like I am getting smashed too :D
You could always feign not having your camera for a bit - take a good non camera looking bag ;)

Just do it Betty, he's not a pro and isn't being paid (and what the hell is a "nice camera"?)

My latest gripe, B&G wait 7 months to decide which images they want for their album and let me know their final selection on Friday. Today's communication? "Where's our album and how much longer will it be?"

FFS! :bang:

A "nice camera" could mean anything according to my mother :LOL: And thats some rant too! Pair of muppets!

You could always feign not having your camera for a bit - take a good non camera looking bag ;)

My 30D wont fit in a clutch bag :LOL: Ill have a think about it though (y)

My latest Wedding annoyance was only this week...

Couples in their early 30s

They live in a bigger house than mine

They are spending...

£2,000 on the dress

£750 on cars

£600 on the cake

£5,000 on the reception

Booked me for the whole day - already confirmed as wanting an album too

So what you ask?

They have 7 kids, have never worked in their lives and are totally dependent on benefits - yet are blowing more than £8,000 on their Wedding

Added annoyance, they are under benefit review this week so can't pay their deposit - double Grrrrrrrrrr

DD

That's one of the most bloody bizarre things i've ever heard, and has already been mentioned very selfish to the parents :(

Dee...

My advice is go for it........fill your boots (y)

Take your camera along and take candid reportage-style shots throughout the day. For a start the pressure won't be on you to 'perform' so to speak, and as a result you'll find that you'll end up with some cracking shots! ;)

The bride says she doesn’t mind me taking a few discreetly, as her brother is shooting the wedding.
.............I bet she won't even notice you with your camera as there will be a million and one other things on her mind on the big day! Also, if you don't have a camera with you you'll probably be in the minority as 'Uncle Tom Cobbly and all' will have their cameras! It's par for the course these days at weddings where guests will shadow you..........so I wouldn't worry too much about having your 30D with you. In fact at one of the weddings I did this year one of the guests was a retired pro wedding photographer who also had his DSLR with him.

Before I did my very first paid wedding I took shots as a guest at a friend's wedding. I was quite discreet with my camera (I used a 20D at the time) and followed the pro togger, however at a safe distance! I was soooo pleased when they told me that they preferred my photos to the official ones! In fact the framed enlargement on their living room wall is courtesy of me and not the official photographer! :D

Another reason for doing it Dee is that you will potentially create a stunning reportage album, which will be a great gift for the B&G....and more importantly for yourself keep a copy as a display album for potential clients. The photos taken can be used to compliment your portfolio of more formal shots.

Finally, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by being the unofficial photographer. I have actually had enquiries and then eventually bookings from guests whilst photographing weddings! (There's no better advert! :)) So also remember to take your business cards with you and pass them out when you're propping up the bar later in the evening! (y)

Let us know how you get on Dee :)

My latest Wedding annoyance was only this week...

snip

DD

Then by my calculations the working and retired members of TP are entitled to some of that cake Dave. Where's the reception being held?

Thanks Andy, you're a good un (y)

DD, that has made me sick reading that. Sponging *****.

Well birds, nudes and landscapes are for image sharing, no images in this thread. So should we have separate forums for understanding exposure, moon shots and canon v nikon then? ;)

No lets just have a wedding thread :D

Wow Thanks Guys this all reminds me why I wouldn't consider "doing" weddings (y) :D
I think Colins foot note was a classic BTW

wait months for the b and g's selection. then they want the album yesterday. yeah that rings a bell.
got list monday. want album to take with them to spain(relations). friday.
my poor mrs is breaking her neck trying to get it done.
i wanted her to tell them, no chance.
GRRRRR.
had one last week. "whats the cheapest you do a wedding for?."
at that point , i'm already on the defensive.

told em our cheapest package.
"thats f*****g expensive. bloody daylight robbery that is.".
maybe you should try elsewhere then .goodbye sir.
click , brrrrrrrrr
rude word. rhymes with anchor.

Back