Genuine Canon LP-E6 on Amazon

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
There are a bunch of sellers on Amazon offering these for around £45, mostly despatched by Amazon. Has anybody bought one of these and can vouch for the seller. None of them seem to exist as businesses in the outside world so there's no way to check them but they are selling at a price which is just about believable, they are names like Micropix, Camera Club, Atlas Deal. Amazon aren't selling direct at the moment.

I buy compatible batteries from 7dayshop.co.uk, last just long as original if not longer & and bargain at £12.99 for two (I'd rather buy an honest, quality clone battery than a "cheap genuine")

(I've used 7day batteries in my 300D / 30D / 50D / 7D / 6D :) )

I bought one of these last year, or should I say I bought something similar. Same sort of scenario and it may not be the same seller, but the one I got was a fake. Looked identical in every way, but doesn't hold charge very long. Someone on another forum - who discovered the ad - looked into it and found they were knock offs. It was reported to Amazon and the listing disappeared.

As I say this company may not be related but the one I bought was a rip off. Price was just too good to pass up on for the real thing - but it wasn't the real thing. As ever caveat emptor.

I'm using a, new to me, 70D and I've been reading about Canon not recognising 3rd party batteries particularly in the 70D and 6D. In the past I've just bought Duracells and been perfectly happy but even they are printing warnings about some of their Canon range not being fully functional. Given the outrageous price charged by Canon I'm coming round to the conclusion that £45 falls into the too good to be true category.

I may be wrong - I've been wrong before! - but I "think" the 3rd party ones will work but you don't get the battery level indication display, and you can't check battery quality in the menu. I've also read somewhere that Canon can tell if you've been using 3rd party batteries if/when you send it in for repair and if they think these could have caused the problem might not repair under warranty. That might be an old wives tale!

Just checked , had a Google and I can confirm Canon are complete barstools :rage:

My clone batteries work in my 7D & 6D (6D reports batteries as unknown type but charge level works)

BUT

My 6D charger will not charge them !!

Canon have kept the model number the same on the charger but fiddled with the electronics so they will not charge clone batteries.

Canon, you should be ashamed of yourselves .

:rage::rage::rage:

Would they charge if you bought a third party charger? You can pick them up for a tenner or so.

Would they charge if you bought a third party charger? You can pick them up for a tenner or so.

Well, they charge in my 7D charger so I don't see why not :)

and again

Canon you should be ashamed

I use Duracell Batteries in my not too current Canon 5D2, they work perfectly, have life of hundreds of shots per charge, display charge status and charge in my specific Canon 5D2 charger. They cost £24.99p in Currys and are a stock item at my local branch. If the charger has been changed on more recent models, it might be worth getting hold of an older charger second hand. I note that the new 5DS uses the Canon LP-E6 battery, I'll try my Duracell batteries in a 5DS or 6D whenever I get the chance.

I'm about to buy a 6d. So the third party ones work, but don't charge in the canon charger?

See above, these work in the 70D charger, no reason they won't work in the 6D charger.
That's the bit I find annoying, the 7D/6D chargers are the SAME part number but canon have changed the insides.

I got one for £45 in December but it was from Amazon themselves and it was an official one, they went down in price because of the lp-e6 replacement that came out with the 7dII I think

I've got the Hahnel in my 6D, pair from Wex for about £40 or £50 18 months ago, but fully recognised by the battery meter on the 6D, charger etc. Regularly get 1200 shots per battery out of them including GPS & live view use, been absolutely stunned by how good they are. Generally use them over the Canon original.

I've just discovered a new, to me, Hahnel LP-E6 replacement appearing on Amazon next week. Said to be superior in all sorts of ways, a bit costlier and brightish orange. Now to try to find out if it will charge in the Canon charger.

Last edited:
i have a DTSE battery from amazon ( charger ok with the 70D one) , good reviews and cheap, as for canon protecting their brand, why not?

I found one on at Kikatek for £50.10, not the N version, so I've gone for one of them. I'm assuming Kikatek will be selling the genuine article and that these are clearance stock of the old version. They have one left in stock if anybody's interested.

I've just discovered a new, to me, Hahnel LP-E6 replacement appearing on Amazon next week. Said to be superior in all sorts of ways, a bit costlier and brightish orange. Now to try to find out if it will charge in the Canon charger.

I have a couple of the Hahnel high capacity orange batteries, very pleased with them and they will charge in the 7OD and 7D (original) chargers.

A couple of cheap clones that I have will not charge in the 70D charger, but are fine with the 7D charger.

Chris

Back