Geo-referencing

Edit My Images
Yes
[S1]Learner![/S1]

Is there such a device which can record the location of each image as it is taken on the camera?

I'd like to geo reference my pics.

Furthermore is it possible to take a copy of the settings for each image (I shoot .jpg) such as ISO, f/# or shutter speed? I'd like to refer back to this also. I can see the info on the camera but once it's on the PC this info is lost, right?!

Cheers,

[s1]Learner![/s1]

Furthermore is it possible to take a copy of the settings for each image (I shoot .jpg) such as ISO, f/# or shutter speed? I'd like to refer back to this also. I can see the info on the camera but once it's on the PC this info is lost, right?!

Cheers,

No, the info is transferred as part of the data to the computer it is referred to as EXIF/METADATA. It depends on the way that the camera is setup and the type of picture file. It is certainly transferred with a RAW file.

GPS data, try this

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/13416/slr_camera_gps_system/

As far as exposure data is concerned it should be preserved, even in jpeg form. what you need is an application that displays this. Photoshop does under File Info, as does Lightroom. I don't know what other programs do.

Check in you application to see if there is an option to show file info

i was just doing some research into this idea last night, didnt spend long looking but the only device i found in the UK was one from Sony the GPS-CS1, little keyfob sized GPS device, you synch the time on your camera with the time on the gps, neat bit of software downloads the gps track and compares date/time with the exif info and adds location info.
all for less than £100

Thanks all! Very helpful indeed. That sony gadget looks really cool. I'll have to do some investigating!

tempted to get one myself, but cant really justify as so far have never forgotten a location so its just a gadget for gadgets sake..... what am i saying!!.. of course i NEED one... :D

While looking at the image in windows picture and fax viewer, right click on the image, go to properties, and click on summary. There is a list of all exiff data. This is the quickest and simplest way i can think of doing it.

Not sure about the D70, I know there is a GPS system for the D200 that plugs into the remote socket afaik. As for the shooting data, as has already been said, it can be viewed in most editing programs, including photoshop and bridge from adobe, and even in Picture Manager from microsoft office [by opening 'edit photos' and choosing 'properties'] and will be available in both jpg and raw format images.

While looking at the image in windows picture and fax viewer, right click on the image, go to properties, and click on summary. There is a list of all exiff data. This is the quickest and simplest way i can think of doing it.

:clap:(y) That's spot on!!! Just what I was after! So easy when you know where to look. I never even thought it was embedded and so easy to find using just MS stuff. Just to test it I looked at a low res image taken by a pro of some of my company work lorries several months back and I now know he had a Nikon D2H shoot at 105mm F/8 1/1500 on ISO 400 but the aperature was set to priority!! I thought pro's would always use manual mode?! Well I never!

Back