Geo tag & Lightroom

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking to sort my geo tagging set up out.....i.e. I aint got one! I'd like one though.

Ive just confused myself in reading all the historical posts on geo taggers against GPS hotshoe stuff.

What I want is an ability to geo tag photo's in LR3. So, first question is; is it possible? Must be with a plug in I guess?!

Assuming it is. How?

I like the idea of a bespoke geo tagger to sit in my camera bag then do stuff with it when I get home.....but will it do what i want and if so which one?

I think I saw the Blumax Bluetooth GPS-4043 Recorder Data Logger recommended for my type of application.

any advise welcomed;)

There isn't any LR plugin that I know of. I use Geosetter [free] and sometimes GPicSync [free from Google].

Hardware - QStarz BT1000X. Reliable, gets a fix in less than optimum conditions, inbuilt re-chargeable battery lasts all day and longer.

Try typing this - lightroom geotagging plugin - into Google.

My hardware is the Genie BGT-31. It's fast; it's reliable; it runs for over 48 hours on a single charge; it keeps a signal in a case, in a bag, in a seat-pocket, in a van and it's waterproof.

After trying a number of methods I have finally settled on the following...

Hardware wise, a Wintec BT-202. I settled on this as it takes a Micro-SD card which allows it to log for extended periods away from a PC at 1Hz without worrying about running out of logging memory. Basically, on a fortnights holiday I'll turn it on in the morning and attach it to my camera bag or stick it in my pocket and then turn it off and charge it before bed. With a 2GB card it could do this for months to be honest.

Software wise, I tried a lot of things before stumbling across the Website of a guy called Jeffrey Friedl. I would urge any Light Room user who hasn't already to check out his website http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies.

Amongst many very useful "Export to.." plug-ins he has also developed a Geoencoding Plugin which works natively within LR. With the aid of GPS Babel (to integrate the Wintec's native TES files), the work-flow for adding GPS info to your shots (RAW or JPG) within LR is made trivially simple.

It is worth stressing that the plug-in will work with virtually any GPS track-logger in a similar manner.

Thanks for the sensible answers.

I did try mighty google, but it doesn't give real advice/experience like here.

I had downloaded the plug in too - the bit I was more concerned with was all the interfaces......would the hardware work with the software!

Thanks for clearing up that - I'll go check out the suggested gps trackers:)

Although the Wintec I use works like a charm, I would definitely check out the Genie BGT-31 recommended by Frank (hollis_f).

I say that because one thing that is important is to synchronise you camera clock to the GPS clock time. The digital display on the Genie will make this very easy. With the Wintec you have to do this while it is connected to a PC. Also, UK availability of the Wintec is patchy, I had to import mine from the US when I got it.

Back