geotagging photographs: mobile phone/GPS

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone any experience with using a mobile phone to generate GPX files to geotagging photographs. Or indeed a small dedicated GPS that can record and export GPX files.

I'm not sure if I want to use it routinely but I find that driving on "scenic" routes I seem to be able to accumulate photographs that I cannot remember the locations for.

I have found this program, but wondered if anyone has gone through the exercise of trying different methods and come to any conclusions.

Thanks.

I can use either the Viewranger app on my phone or my GPS watch to record a route and then export a gpx file and sync it with Lightroom.

I can use either the Viewranger app on my phone or my GPS watch to record a route and then export a gpx file and sync it with Lightroom.
Thanks, that looks useful. I had sort of been half aware of this as a source of OS Maps, but not thought of it for this purpose. I may well end up with this.

Well blow me down. I've never really looked at LR maps module in detail and had no idea you could do this.

I went out on Sunday with my point and shoot just to look for potential compositions in a nearby woodland. I took my GPS and marked a waypoint where I found one.

I've just used the method above and it's so much easier. I thought I was going to have to manually add the GPS coords to each photo.

Top Tip, Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for years, once you get into the habit of it, it is second nature.

Ages ago I got a cheap Blumax GPS logger but they soon stopped updating the software. Then I got one of these: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/518046.html This worked well and is handy when hiking around, as well as logging your movements. The problem with both of these devices were that you needed to remember to take them with you, then remember to switch them on. You also need to take into account time zones if travelling abroad. A phone app can do these things but I always found that a bit of a faff. When I used Nikon I had a small device that plugged into the hotshoe that stampted the pictures as they were taken. This, however, didn't do logging, only image stamping. It was also annoying, due to having an extra bit attached to the camera.

My current camera (Sony A7III, but some others must do the same) communicates with the Sony app on the phone and stamps each photo with the phone's GPS data. This works great and is the best solution for me so far especially as I don't have to worry about time zones. If I want to do logging I just take the Garmin along as well. Generally I have found it much easier if I can stamp the photos as they are taken, rather than apply the GPS data after the event.

Generally I have found it much easier if I can stamp the photos as they are taken, rather than apply the GPS data after the event.

That would certainly be easier, but I not an option for me. I hope that as Lewis said, once you get into the routine its should be second nature (I hope) and as the current apps I have looked at automatically upload the GPX file to dropbox, and I can just load that file from inside Photo Mechanic . And if I go the viewranger route I will have all its tools as well, in my phone, which I will probably be carrying anyway.

But, its still not as convenient of having it "just happen".

FWIW - I use the Olympus OI.Track app on iOS.
You connect the phone to the Olympus camera over WiFi to synch the clock then leave the app running for as long as you choose.
You can create multiple files, the clock synch seems to last over several days (at least).
When you next connect the camera over WiFi it stamps the photos (RAW & JPG) with the location detail and updates a map in the app with thumbnails.
It also saves the .log files on the SD card separately.
The location data passes through Lightroom and is seen by Flickr too.

The app itself will also allow you to email the .log files or save them on the phone which is visible when connected to a computer - you swipe left over the file in the app.
So you could perhaps use it to create files that work in other apps. It's just a comma separated text file

e.g.
$GPGGA,032026.62,3423.630126,N,13227.805860,E,1,,00.00,7.910154,M,,M,,*4c
$GPRMC,032026,A,3423.630126,N,13227.805860,E,,,050418,*3c
$GPGGA,032029.94,3423.638983,N,13227.773985,E,1,,00.00,78.437620,M,,M,,*75
$GPRMC,032029,A,3423.638983,N,13227.773985,E,1.090713,37.265625,050418,*01

I've heard there are problems with time zones in the Android version but haven't used it myself or seen them reported recently.

The app is free so it might be something to investigate even if you don't shoot on Olympus.

The app is free so it might be something to investigate even if you don't shoot on Olympus.

Thanks, I don't shoot Olympus, and the apps that I have looked at seem to be only a few dollars, so would probably just give them a try, rather than try an app aimed at a specific make, but thanks for passing this on.

Just fiddling around the output from the Oly app - it loaded directly into this online GPS mapping source converted to a Google Maps view so its a standard format.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

I expect paid apps will have other functions that make them worth the price.

Good luck finding something that works for you. :)

Just fiddling around the output from the Oly app - it loaded directly into this online GPS mapping source converted to a Google Maps view so its a standard format.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

I expect paid apps will have other functions that make them worth the price.

Good luck finding something that works for you. :)
Thanks, I haven't actually got round to trying anything yet :-(

Back