Geotagging

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

If a camera has Bluetooth capability does that mean if it’s linked to my phone does that mean it will automatically geotag the picture.

Thanks

Jack

You might need a matching app on the phone, but the answer should be in the camera manual.

The newer Panasonic cameras support geotagging over Bluetooth. On my G90, I just need to start up ImageApp on my phone and let it run in the background. Each time I press the shutter, the camera asks the app over the Bluetooth link for the geo data and embeds it in the image.

Not necessarily. I think with Fuji you can send one GPS position, rather than a constant stream.

What I usually do if I am out shooting all day, is to take a .gpx log on my iPhone of where I have been and use the Maps tab in Lightroom to synchronise the .gpx log with the timestamps of the photos and geotag them automatically. Of course, this relies on your camera and phone being set to the same time.

What I usually do if I am out shooting all day, is to take a .gpx log on my iPhone of where I have been and use the Maps tab in Lightroom to synchronise the .gpx log with the timestamps of the photos and geotag them automatically. Of course, this relies on your camera and phone being set to the same time.

I tend to do the above as well. I have a small Android phone (Unihertz Jelly 2) that is attached to the hotshoe of my Canon M6 Mk II and use the Locus Map app to create a log of all my movements as a .gpx. The advantage of this app is that it also stores the compass directions at any given time, which a lot of apps don't tend to do. I then use ExifTool to sync the GPS position from the .gpx file to my photos.

Thanks for the great advice, I’ll have a look into downloading one of the trackers, my Olympus does have an app for it however it doesn’t look great and my Nikon doesn’t have anything like that so hopefully the locus app will work for both.

I use OI.Track from Olympus with my E-M10ii.
You connect the phone and camera to synch the camera clock. You can then disconnect and it lasts for ages.
Set the phone to log and take pictures when you want to.
Once you're finished, stop logging on the phone, connect the camera again and swipe left on the log file and choose Add Geotag.
It then tags all the images based on the time stamp - on the camera they show a little satellite icon to indicate they're tagged.
The GPS log file is also transfered or you can export it on its own- it's just a plain text file.

I've used it a lot, usually when travelling when I'm using GPS on the phone for maps anyway so the battery hit isn't a problem.
I use iOS - I read over at the E-group Olympus forum that the Android version may be a bit buggy but I can't verify.

It's free so worth checking it out.

I tend to do the above as well. I have a small Android phone (Unihertz Jelly 2) that is attached to the hotshoe of my Canon M6 Mk II and use the Locus Map app to create a log of all my movements as a .gpx. The advantage of this app is that it also stores the compass directions at any given time, which a lot of apps don't tend to do. I then use ExifTool to sync the GPS position from the .gpx file to my photos.

Thought I should provide an update on the Unihertz Jelly 2 in case somebody buys this smartphone after reader my original post.

Over the last few weeks I've tried to use the smartphone in Ireland and Egypt, where I've had no luck getting a GPS lock - even in open space with clear skies where it can see satellites. Since returning home in London, I've managed to obtain a GPS lock with this smartphone again. As a result, I will be returning this smartphone as it doesn't work abroad for me. I have no idea why this is happening as it doesn't make sense to me. I may just have a faulty handset. I will be buying this smartphone again (as there is no smartphone this light that can do what I need it to do) and will take it abroad when I go to Greece in May to see if it works for me. Until then I thought it would be wise to add this disclaimer. I will provide an update after I return from Greece to see if my replacement handset works. Until then, buy at your own risk!

Back