Get me back taking photos!

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

As I once prolific snapper on a series of Nikon dSLRs, I've fallen out of the habit of taking my camera with me, whether on holiday or otherwise. The bulk and impracticality of lugging around a bag filled with the D7000, Tokina 11-16mm, a 50mm prime and a zoom lens is just too much for me.

That said, the poor substitute of a mobile phone doesn't scratch my photographic itch. In order to get me back into carrying (and thus photographing), I've been looking at bridge cameras small enough for me not to feel saddled with them, in particular the Sony RX10 IV and Panasonic FZ2500.

I've been out of the game for so long that I don't trust myself with a purchase just yet, however, and I thought I'd run back to the forum that's always been so helpful to me when I've been learning the art. How have people who've moved from dSLR to bridge found the transition and is it likely to satisfy me? As I see it, taking photos even if they're not as good as they'd be on a dSLR is better than never taking the photo in the first place!

Regards,

A.

No real view on the camera, but you have a cracking eye, you NEED to be back out there. And it is so very nice to see pix of beautiful buildings and landscapes looking , well, beautiful. Cliched? A sight less so than the "grungy launderettes and tower blocks" school, if you ask me. I love 'em. The golf clubs and phone covers, less so :)

Evening all,

As I once prolific snapper on a series of Nikon dSLRs, I've fallen out of the habit of taking my camera with me, whether on holiday or otherwise. The bulk and impracticality of lugging around a bag filled with the D7000, Tokina 11-16mm, a 50mm prime and a zoom lens is just too much for me.

That said, the poor substitute of a mobile phone doesn't scratch my photographic itch. In order to get me back into carrying (and thus photographing), I've been looking at bridge cameras small enough for me not to feel saddled with them, in particular the Sony RX10 IV and Panasonic FZ2500.

I've been out of the game for so long that I don't trust myself with a purchase just yet, however, and I thought I'd run back to the forum that's always been so helpful to me when I've been learning the art. How have people who've moved from dSLR to bridge found the transition and is it likely to satisfy me? As I see it, taking photos even if they're not as good as they'd be on a dSLR is better than never taking the photo in the first place!

Regards,

A.

Not a big fan of bridge cameras, I have tried a few but found them to be big ugly and clunky. I know a lot do like them, but I much prefer carrying around a small compact, with a decent sized sensor. I too have not been taking much photos lately, as I have been wanting to capture more video.

Hmm.

Having done several hours of research, bridge doesn't seem to be the way to go. Mirrorless would deliver a smaller camera but with the same issue around several lenses. I wonder whether the answer is in a more portable P&S, something like the RX100. Any experiences please?

Reactions: Nod
Seen this ?

I have, had a good look through and there are some stunning shots. The cameras are certainly capable.

My query was more for experiences of those who've found themselves in a similar position and whether or not shifting to a smaller camera did work to get them snapping more regularly.

I guess another option might be to buy a superzoom for the dSLR. If I went that way, I'd not have to sacrifice on the IQ but I could achieve a greater degree of portability by taking one lens with me for most sessions.

Last edited:
I stopped taking out my old Olympus E-30 which began to feel bulky and I just lost my passion for photography. Can't say whether the size of the camera played into that or I just lost my passion and found an excuse.

Anyway, in May 2020 I bought the Olympus EM1 MkII and it just felt right. I stick on the 12-40 F/2.8 and it covers just about anything in a compact package. In your case you could consider the 12-200mm zoom lens which, not as fast but a great range. The overall physical dimensions would be very similar to the Sony RX10IV though the Olympus would weigh less.

I have found additional joy in using old lenses with adapters so having the interchangeable lens system means I can explore that. It's cheap too, well individually they are cheap but it kinda becomes a bit addictive :sneaky:

Whatever you decide, I hope you find the route back to where you want to be.

In the digital age I went from a Fuji S602 to Canon APS-C and then to the FF Canon 5D and I now have a 1" sensor Panasonic TZ100 compact camera with a 25-250mm zoom, a couple of RF style mirrorless Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras and a FF mirrorless Sony A7.

The Sony A7 is the best camera I've ever had and just annihilates the old Canon 5D. The MFT cameras definitely show a lack of dynamic range when compared to the Sony A7 but I think I'm right in saving that they have more DR than the old 5D. The TZ100 is another step back and can't match the image quality of MFT but again AFAIK has more DR at least at low ISO's than the old 5D.

I'm not sure I'd want to go for something with a sensor smaller than 1" but the key thing is the quality you will accept.

If you'd like to see example picture from 1" sensor cameras there's a TZ100 thread here...

And I think there's a thread for the Sony 1" cameras too plus there are Panasonic and Olympus MFT treads if that's a way you'd like to go.

Good luck choosing.

My feeling is that if you've had a DSLR then a compact type camera will only disappoint. Based on your previous kit, something like an Olympus E-M5 with the pancake zoom would be a good place to start, then add a couple of lenses if you wanted. We bought an E-M10 & pancake for my wife, and it's barely larger than the Panasonic compact she used. M43 lenses are also very light in the amateur versions.

There's always the camera size comparison site...

Here, FF Sony A7 with 35mm f2.8, MFT Olympus E-M10 with 14-42 f3.5-5.6, MTF Panasonic GX80 with 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 and 1" TZ100.

1-Untitled-1.jpg

The Oly lens in the following is I think collapsible, I think it extends to something like the size of the Panasonic lens to the right in this picture.

1-Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
I use everything from full frame to 1/2.3. In my opinion, the Travel Zoom style cameras are very useful if you want to be ready for as much as possible, don't want to carry a bag everywhere and aren't obsessive about "quality" (whatever that is when it's at home :naughty: ) .

I've been using a Sony HX90 and a Panasonic TZ70 as my "pocket" cameras for the last 5 years and I'm happy with them. Some examples...

Me in mask HX90 DSC00072.JPG
Man leaning against wall Heavitree Road Coop TZ70 P1030486.JPG
Bearded young man with glasses pleased expression HX90 00194.JPG
Pigeons kissing in silhouette TZ70 P1030357.JPG

My lightweight grab & go is my X-T2 with 10-24 (which in FF terms is 15-36mm). If you wanted to go "really light" and still maintain the option of changing lenses at a later date, the X-T30 with the 16-55 kit lens is the way to go.

Obviously I have a Fuji bias, but I found that when I had lost my "photo mojo", getting a mirrorless with all 3 of the main exposure functions available without menus, meant I felt like I was taking "proper" photographs again.

I have a Fuji X-T2 and a few lenses that I’ve used for several years as a smaller, lighter alternative to my Nikon DSLR’s. But I found myself wanting something smaller and although I tried the Panasonic LX100 (which was OK), I was never truly happy with it. So I flogged it and bought a Canon G1X Mk 3, which I’m delighted with. They’re hugely overpriced new, but are much more affordable second hand. In a nutshell, it’s an APS-C sized sensor (also used in the M5 and 80D) and a 24-70 lens in a compact sized body, with articulated touch screen and an EVF. Sure, it’s not the fastest of lenses, but in terms of bang for your buck it’s fantastic.

The one other thing I'd roll in is that a half decent phone camera is pretty much as good as a 1/2.3 sensor compact in terms of image quality, and much more versatile for on the go editing and posting pictures.

IMG_20210610_185347_828.jpg
IMG_20210601_074634_017.jpg
IMG_20210601_214029_770.jpg

IMG_20210517_135417_418.jpg

Etc etc. The other thing to say is that these were with a 3 year old mid range Xiaomi phone, and not a recent model.

Last edited:
I went from Nikon apsc to 1" compact to M43 .... love the rangefinder type with tilt up/down screen (never use the evf) ...

Panasonic GX80 + 12-60mm ... good walkabout gear. Fits in a messenger bag. Take a little prime too.

41a6fba74a5dabbb5ea544189263

and much more versatile for on the go editing and posting pictures.
This is true but you can't use it to grab an image of the moon, a bird on a tree 20 feet away or a plane in flight (unless you stick on a big tele-extender)...

Moon against black sky TZ70 P1030233.JPGBlackbird maximum zoom Sony HX90 DSC00169.JPG
BAE 146 over Exeter HX90 DSC00825 Cropped.JPG

I moved from Nikon after 10 years recently. Went from D40-D90-D300-D700-D750 and a whole range of glass from a 16-35 or 20mm through to a 200-500 or 150-600. What helped me move to the Fuji XT3 was the love I had for the X100. It is pocket size in coats/jackets and even some jeans or shorts, or can go in a pouch through your belt. Its a DX sensor to would be virtually the same IQ to the D7000 and while a fixed 35mm lens can take some getting used to, its fun and works very well in 90% of the situations I need it.

If those are the pictures you want to take then you're absolutely right.
To quote from Ciaran 's original post...
... the poor substitute of a mobile phone doesn't scratch my photographic itch. In order to get me back into carrying (and thus photographing), I've been looking at bridge cameras small enough for me not to feel saddled with them, in particular the Sony RX10 IV and Panasonic FZ2500
...so the (very useful) facilities of the mobile phone don't meet the requirement.

It's possible that the output of a travel zoom doesn't meet his needs either.

Some really interesting perspectives, thank you all for your responses. Having considered your views and read any number of reviews, I'm going to take my D7000 and 18-80mm with me on a week-long trip to the Hebrides starting this weekend and see how I fare. If I still find myself feeling unenthused by that equipment, I'll look at some of the equipment recommendations above and go shopping!

Thanks again

Some really interesting perspectives, thank you all for your responses. Having considered your views and read any number of reviews, I'm going to take my D7000 and 18-80mm with me on a week-long trip to the Hebrides starting this weekend and see how I fare. If I still find myself feeling unenthused by that equipment, I'll look at some of the equipment recommendations above and go shopping!

Thanks again

Have fun. A great place for you to gain some inspiration I hope :cool:

The one other thing I'd roll in is that a half decent phone camera is pretty much as good as a 1/2.3 sensor compact in terms of image quality, and much more versatile for on the go editing and posting pictures.
Etc etc. The other thing to say is that these were with a 3 year old mid range Xiaomi phone, and not a recent model.

The thing is, is anything in Focus on any of the Photo`s??

Due to heart failure I had to ditch all my big stuff and go down the route of Olympus ,best thing I ever did the ibis is superb the lens can be as cheap or expensive as your pocket allows . The iq is superb , and the weight is unreal my camera with a 100-400 attached 2x crop factor to weighs in at 2k.g no brainer

Hmm.

Having done several hours of research, bridge doesn't seem to be the way to go. Mirrorless would deliver a smaller camera but with the same issue around several lenses. I wonder whether the answer is in a more portable P&S, something like the RX100. Any experiences please?

A decent compact (like the RX100?) is small enough to slip into a shirt pocket and delivers plenty good enough results to satisfy most wants/needs. A bridge is as bulky as a DSLR so has no real benefit over one (yes, many have huge zoom ranges but how many have 1/2 decent IQ, especially at the long end?)

Modern phones are fine for taking snapshots, and even beyond with the higher end ones. They're better than the compact cameras we had to endure a decade or more back at least. But even though I have a decent enough phone that has a competent camera [4 cameras in fact] - I rarely ever make use of it. I just don't like taking pictures with a phone, I want grip! I want physical controls, and no matter how decent they become a larger sensor will always kick their butt in terms of end IQ

I've done the bridge cam route, I learned a lot using them [the expsore triangle etc, was easier to get to grips with with a more limited camera] - but there will come a point where you hit the restrictions. The ones I used had say, max SS of 8 secs - 1/2000th, you are limited to whatever the lens can offer aperture-wise, close focus distance etc, the sensors will never match the likes of M43 upward in terms of DR/ISO performance/DOF ... you find you're just stuck, at some point or other. Much better to get even the bare minimum changeable lens dslr or mirrorless cam. I would advise against a bridge cam for those reasons.

Stick with your dslr for now, try some other lenses, look into what other people might be shooting with the same gear, this can help inspire sometimes [often amazed at what others are doing with the same gear as I own!]

Hmm.

With the added advantage that the RX100 is not a point and shoot, it is better than that, as it has Aperture and Shutter priorities, as well as full manual control. ;)

I went from Nikon apsc to 1" compact to M43 .... love the rangefinder type with tilt up/down screen (never use the evf) ...

Panasonic GX80 + 12-60mm ... good walkabout gear. Fits in a messenger bag. Take a little prime too.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the GX80 as it's a teeny tiny bit smaller and lighter than the GX9. It does IMO lack a few things that the GX9 has but I sort of like the fact that it's a bit basic and a bit cheaper.... it may be inverse snobbery, but I do like it and I do use mine more than my GX9.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the GX80 as it's a teeny tiny bit smaller and lighter than the GX9.
I'm very fond of the GX7; I've even used the tilting viewfinder several times! I keep a 12-32mm on it, which makes it a useful grab shot camera...

Camera Panasonic GX7 with 12-32 on clothes pole TZ70 TZ70 P1030602.JPG
Old woman with stick crossing road Exeter GX7 P1140316.JPG
Young Asian woman peering South Street Exeter GX7 P1140319.JPGAt work in the street Exmouth GX7 P1130650.JPG

Lucky you.

I liked my GX7 until the shutter shock issue hit me and then I wanted to burn it and Panasonic to the ground. Dotto for my G7 which was also afflicted. The fact that this issue continued for so long and the fact that Panasonic kept introducing cameras and lenses affected by this issue and indeed bundled them together was IMO a complete and utter disgrace.

I liked my GX7 until the shutter shock issue hit me
I sympathise. I don't know if mine was fixed before I got it or was just immune.

I don't think any are fixable or immune. It's down to the body and lens combination as the body generates the shock and the lens then is or isn't affected by it. So if you have a lens that isn't bothered about the shock you'll be fine. You'll also be fine if you never take pictures in the affected shutter speed range. Plus of course if you use the electronic shutter it's not an issue (but the electronic shutter itself causes problems such as banding under flickering lights and rolling shutter effect.) My problem was that I had lenses which clearly showed the issue, often take pictures in the affected shutter speed range and often take pictures indoors where the electronic shutter can cause shot ruining banding. So I was stuffed.

So, it's a big issue if you use the mechanical shutter in the affected shutter speed range and have lenses that are susceptible to the shock. It's all ifs and buts but if your lens or lenses aren't affected by the shock you'll never see the issue.

Last edited:
It's all ifs and buts but if your lens or lenses aren't affected by the shock you'll never see the issue.
I don't know what I'm doing "wrong" :naughty: but I always use the mechanical shutter and the exposure dial is seldom off "iA". As you say, it looks like the 12~32 is immune.

I'll make this my last post on this as it's going off topic...

AFAIK there's no definitive list of which lenses are affected and which are not and as you use the 12-32mm without issue (but I wouldn't touch with a barge poll as its lack of a focus ring makes it unsuitable for me) then maybe that's proof it's immune.

This is one reason I would never recommend one of the shutter shock affected Panasonic cameras to anyone because the problem may not appear... until they buy a lens that will demonstrate the problem when using the mechanical shutter in the affected speed range.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the GX80 as it's a teeny tiny bit smaller and lighter than the GX9. It does IMO lack a few things that the GX9 has but I sort of like the fact that it's a bit basic and a bit cheaper.... it may be inverse snobbery, but I do like it and I do use mine more than my GX9.
... interesting you should say that as I do sometimes wonder if I made the right choice between the two. BTW I thought the GX80 was slightly heavier (?) https://www.apotelyt.com/abc-i3/panasonic-gx80-vs-panasonic-gx9-front-a.jpg

And @woof woof you have the little plastic fantastic pana 45-150mm don't you? What a beauty that is. The OP wants some reach, that's 90-300 equiv. @Astraeus :)

you have the little plastic fantastic pana 45-150mm don't you? What a beauty that is. The OP wants some reach, that's 90-300 equiv. :)
It's a very useful little lens. Mine lives permanently on a GH2. I find that another effective combination for grab shots...

Big tractor towing red tanker trailer GH2 P1310678.jpg
Busker waiting to start New Street Sidmouth GH2 P1320248.JPG
Cyclist Exeter Road Topsham GH2 P1320356.jpg

Last edited:
Back