Get rid of rust

Redpaul

Suspended / Banned
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Most of you probably already know this wee tip.

Read on the interweb today that the best thing for taking rust off chrome is wet tin foil :shrug:

Didn't believe it so decided I would try it on my motorbike when I got home from work. It was raining so no need to wet the foil. Had a go on my pannier rack and it was amazing :woot:

Have a go if you don't believe me.

Paul

I came across that tip last year and it really does work, better than any of the proprietary stuff on the market - even Autosol which has been the staple for years.

Answer is here:

A common way to clean a rusted chrome surface such as a fender is to use a fine steel wool. However, when you use this method you have to use a lot of elbow grease and you still end up with a slightly dull surface with some amount of scratching not to mention the messy 'dust' left over from the steel wool. That's because you are physically scraping off the rust.
When you use the aluminum foil method you are dissolving the rust chemically so you don't need to rub nearly as hard and since the aluminum foil is softer than the chrome, you are left with few if any scratches. This method also allows you to get the rust out of some minor pitting without having to dig into the surface.

The aluminum oxide that is created by friction when you rub the surface of the chrome leeches the rust away and when combined with the water you added creates it's own polishing compound so you end up with a clean, smooth, shiny surface.

It's also a good way of getting the sooty deposits off exhaust tips :)

That's a super tip.
Wonder if the rust returns.

gonna need alot of tin foil for my bike :crying: bit will give it a go at the weekend.

OOooooooh it's like you read my mind. I had a tin o something by the tap on my washhand basin and when I took it away the porcelain was stained with rust. Bleach isn't working so I'll try the tin foil - thank you (y)

I came across that tip last year and it really does work, better than any of the proprietary stuff on the market - even Autosol which has been the staple for years.

Just tried the tinfoil on stainlees steel. It cleans that too (so does sodium bicarb).

BTW, wht does stainless steel stain?

Back